My Best friend just came over....

CaramelMiSS

And her hair was lookin real cute, but her hair is really thin on the top of her head and she has white scalp. Have any of you experienced this before, and what causes it. She said it was dandruff but it was not flaking. and she said stopped getting relaxers, but she just took out her zillions yesterday. I really want to help her out she is my best friend.

It could be eczema or any number of things. It could also be product buildup. There is also such a thing as dry scalp that has nothing to do with dandruff. She should get it checked.

Could be a fungal infection, which can lead to hair loss. has she seen a dematologist? Is she treating the problem?

dynamic1 said:
Could be a fungal infection, which can lead to hair loss. has she seen a dematologist? Is she treating the problem?

No she hasn't seen a dermatologist, I don't even think she was aware of it until I told her.

crlsweetie912 said:
It could be eczema or any number of things. It could also be product buildup. There is also such a thing as dry scalp that has nothing to do with dandruff. She should get it checked.
My thoughts exactly.

She should definitely see a derm.

CaramelMiSS said:
And her hair was lookin real cute, but her hair is really thin on the top of her head and she has white scalp. Have any of you experienced this before, and what causes it. She said it was dandruff but it was not flaking. and she said stopped getting relaxers, but she just took out her zillions yesterday. I really want to help her out she is my best friend.
I'm guessing 'zillions' can't be good for her scalp.

CaramelMiSS said:
No she hasn't seen a dermatologist, I don't even think she was aware of it until I told her.

Well this should frighten her! I have a family member who had a similar problem. It went untreated for years because she thought it was dandruff. Her hair thinned and thinned and thinned over the years. When she finally saw a derm, he informed her she had the equivalent of a yeast infection on her scalp. The infection, causes inflammation, and inflammation contributes to hair loss as well. Dandruff shampoos actually harm, not help because it was not dandruff.

She has never recovered!:eek:

dynamic1 said:
Well this should frighten her! I have a family member who had a similar problem. It went untreated for years because she thought it was dandruff. Her hair thinned and thinned and thinned over the years. When she finally saw a derm, he informed her she had the equivalent of a yeast infection on her scalp. The infection, causes inflammation, and inflammation contributes to hair loss as well. Dandruff shampoos actually harm, not help because it was not dandruff.

WOW!:eek:
I remember this from my Cosmetology school text books! YUCK!:eek:

dynamic1 said:

I was actually thinking that it could be a yeast infection on her head. Does anyone know if yeast infections can be transferef to other parts of the body?

I have the same problem. It was how I found this board. I haven't been to a dermatologist but through my own reasearch I believe it is a mixture of exczema and yeast. Perms and cold weather make it flair up really bad. I have started using MN in my grease and it really has helped. The only thing is you get headaches but mine went away after like 2 weeks. Nizoral shampoo is also supposed to help but it is VERY drying to your hair. So I never used it long enough to know for sure.

mauly84 said:
I have the same problem. It was how I found this board. I haven't been to a dermatologist but through my own reasearch I believe it is a mixture of exczema and yeast. Perms and cold weather make it flair up really bad. I have started using MN in my grease and it really has helped. The only thing is you get headaches but mine went away after like 2 weeks. Nizoral shampoo is also supposed to help but it is VERY drying to your hair. So I never used it long enough to know for sure.

Where can you get this Nizoral Shampoo and what is MN if you do not mind me asking?

Micanozale Nitrate AKA yeast infection cream. Both MN ans Nizoral can be found at your local drug store. I got mine at Rite Aid. There are a lot of threads about using MN in your hair so if you wanna check it out before thinking I'm nuts.....:p

Allandra said:
:lol:

That's what I thought.

That's a whole lotta braids.

:lol:

I keep trying to tell her that those braids will pull your hair out, especially since she has thin hair. She always tells me how long my hair is and then says I want to grow my hair out, but she never listens to me. I keep trying though because she is my best friend. If she wasn't I would not even bother.

mauly84 said:
Micanozale Nitrate AKA yeast infection cream. Both MN ans Nizoral can be found at your local drug store. I got mine at Rite Aid. There are a lot of threads about using MN in your hair so if you wanna check it out before thinking I'm nuts.....:p

Thanks I think I will ask her if she wants me to buy her some! But I still will refer her to a dermatologist just to make sure.:)

CaramelMiSS said:
I keep trying to tell her that those braids will pull your hair out, especially since she has thin hair. She always tells me how long my hair is and then says I want to grow my hair out, but she never listens to me. I keep trying though because she is my best friend. If she wasn't I would not even bother.
She's lucky to have a friend like you. I wish she'd listen to you too.

I know this is late. But try again to convince your friend to go to a dermatologist. She could try the Nizoral, but since she doesn't know what it is, it's best to get a diagnosis from a doctor so she can get the proper treatment.

I had really bad hair loss before and it was from eczema, triggered by allergic reaction to relaxers. I also I have issues with certain synthetic hair and that could be her problem too since you said she has braids. That hair can cause intense itching for me - but not all brands.

All in all, I had to get shots in my scalp to calm the inflamation down. Then the doctor gave me a prescription Nizoral (2%)-you can get 1% that is not as strong over the counter. I also got an ointment called Diprolene that I still use for flair ups. I have recovered though and my hair grew back, but that area is still tender so I am all natural.

CaramelMiSS said:
I was actually thinking that it could be a yeast infection on her head. Does anyone know if yeast infections can be transferef to other parts of the body?

HMM that is hard to answer, have you ever heard of candida? Its where the body is overloaded with yeast...comes from too many synthetic hormones, white flour and sugar products. I know can be passed from person to person and mother to child but it sounds crazy if you have never heard of it

JustMeSteph said:
HMM that is hard to answer, have you ever heard of candida? Its where the body is overloaded with yeast...comes from too many synthetic hormones, white flour and sugar products. I know can be passed from person to person and mother to child but it sounds crazy if you have never heard of it

The reason why I asked this was because she just recently had a yeast infection.

CaramelMiSS said:
The reason why I asked this was because she just recently had a yeast infection.
well yeah it may have related. It all starts in the intestines, which feed the rest of the body but I say she does need to see a derm bc micros/individuals/zillions are very hard on the scalp. She could probably use the MN to see how her scalp responds...it may just be a product sitting n her scalp (oh wait it doesnt itch huh).
My bad ladies I think I went offtopic...send her to the derm and give her some tea tree oil or MN until then

Last edited:
This sounds like sebhorreic dermatitis (a form of ezcema which commonly affects the scalp but can be found on other parts of the body as well). I had it for about a year and trust me if you don't treat it it only gets worse. I had about a year of using different types of topical treatments before I found the one that worked for me. As others have said she would be best off seeing a dermatologist because different things work for different people.

Back