My Aveda Institute review - 233 Spring St, NYC

naturalmanenyc

I got there at 9:16 a.m. for my 9:15 appointment and signed in. Signing in included filling out a waiver which reads (they have a few sections bolded on the form):

I, _______ UNDERSTAND THAT AVEDA INSTITUTE IS A SCHOOL WHICH INSTRUCTS STUDENTS WHO WISH TO BECOME BEAUTICIANS AND ESTHETICIANS AND ARE NOT FULLY TRAINED LICENSED PROFESSINALS. BECAUSE OF THEIR INEXPERIENCE THERE IS A RISK THAT I COULD BE INJURED OR SUSTAIN DAMAGE FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OR CARELESSNESS OF SUCH STUDENT(S) IN PERFORMING THE WORK UPON ME. NEVERTHELESS, IN CONSIDERATION OF A REDUCED CHARGE THAT I WILL PAY, I AGREE TO ASSUME ANY RISK OR DAMAGE THAT I MIGHT SUFFER BECAUSE OF SUCH NEGLIGENCE OR CARELESSNESS. I AGREE TO GIVE UP MY RIGHT TO SUE THE STUDENT, THE SCHOOL, THE INSTRUCTORS AND ANY SCHOOL PERSONNEL FOR ANY SUCH INJURY OR DAMAGE TO MYSELF OF ANY PERSONAL PROPERTY.

There is a signature line for a witness as well as the patron.

This alone almost made me walk out without any services. With no advance research on this kind of waiver, I'm not sure that it would even hold up in court if there were a serious injury i.e., burning out a section of hair or using relaxer as conditioner? Somehow I doubt the waiver will hold up for severe negligence....but I did take the risk. However, I asked for a student who was close to graduation and learned that all 4 students on hand this morning had all graduated already, last week. They were in class to make up hours that they missed since 1,000 hours are required.

My stylist, can't even recall her name, has been in class for 8 months and graduated already. She officially finishes next week, Wednesday. Nonetheless, this doesn't mean much. I will elaborate in a sec.

Every person who evaluated or touched my hair is African American.

When I first got to her chair, I explained that my biggest fear is burning of my hair with a blow dryer or flat iron. She called me a chicken and I agreed.

First, I'll attach photos. I have lots of swing!!!

The instructor came over to inspect the student's assessment of my hair and asked the student what she planned to use. They decided on Smooth Infusion Shampoo & Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo. This was after a bit of discussion between me and the student about going natural and the instructor and student about me needing a trim. I explained that I was not getting my hair trimmed at all and the instructor commented that my ends were "rough". I still said no scissors - not at all. I will elaborate on this in a sec. I'm not sure if the instructor was having a bad day or if she didn't agree with my decision to go natural and not allow a student to trim my hair at all.....but she did have a puss face on every time she came over to check on my service.

There was a natural instructor on site but the one supervising my student is relaxed (or at least it looked like a relaxer). I opted for the Damage Remedy Treatment ($30) since I heard so many raves about it on this site.

Okay, so the products used are:

Composition - an oil used to massage my scalp

Next, some other pricey product, an oil in a syringe applicator. I never got the name of that one but it was golden in color. This was also used only on the scalp. It was suggested by my student at that time that I cut off my relaxed hair since it would only fall out as all her friends who went natural lost their relaxed hair. I explained that I know many people who went natural without cutting off their relaxed hair.

Next was the wash with two poo's (smooth infusion then damage remedy). This was when the first discussion started about types of relaxer that I can try?!?!? Didn't I say I was going natural?

Then I had a Damage Remedy Treatment that included mixing two bottles of thin, cream treatment called "moisture infusion" and "strength infusion." They were put on the length of my hair with an applicator brush. The comb out was the next problem. The student, who had been trained for 8 months, tried to comb out my 34 week post hair from the root. I took the comb from her and showed her how to comb out my hair from the ends to the root. She still tried the root comb out and I showed her several more times how to comb out my hair. She did get it after a while.

The next problem was that she combed it out with no product. Granted, she was combing it out to apply the treatment, but still, I don't comb out my hair naked. She finished her application and then a plastic cap was added. I was put under this "dryer" that looked more like an open top bun warmer that rotates slowly around the clients head as it warms. It probably should have been 20 minutes of "treatment" but the instructor came back over to remind the student of the time and they decided on 15 minutes. Turned out to be more like 10 minutes though.

That was all rinsed out and then more discussion at the sink about Mizani being a good relaxer made by a Black company. Then the discussion turned to using braids to transition and weave in the cooler months. I made it very clear that I was not cutting off my hair and I did not prefer braids on me. The student then stated that I should cut my hair because it would help it to GROW?!!?!? I explained to her that hair does not grow from the ends, it grows from the root so cutting it does not help it to grow. She commented that Black women don't like to cut their hair and again I explained that there is no need to cut hair just because it's uneven....but only if ends are split and can damage the hair shaft. We agreed that my ends are not split although uneven.....and I'm fine with that since I wear it pinned up most often.

After the rinse out of the treatment I asked that my products be used for the blowout & flat iron. I took my shea moisture leave-in and my sabino moisture block. The student was fine with my products being used but had to ask the instructor. The puss face instructor came over & gave the okay. I later asked if the student would get in trouble for using my products and she said no, she pays to attend the school. She said that I might get into "trouble" though if my products were seen being used without prior permission. Not sure how I'd get in trouble? But whatever. My products were used but not until after a bit of the instructor chastising me for bringing my own products and saying that I could not bring then again - as if I'm coming back. I get it that it's a school and they use Aveda products but I know what works on my hair. She used the shea moisture but wiped some of it onto a towel first instead of using it on my hair. I guess she felt she was using too much? Then she put on two dime sized amounts of sabino like I asked.

The next disaster was the blow out. The student, with 8 months of training, tried to blow out my hair more like a baby poking around in a sandbox. She used a denman brush (bravo) but was literally poking at my head with it and dry to push out the curls? I pointed to another student who was finishing up a color treatment and blowing out her client. I explained that my student should have been using the same technique with a round brush or at least not the poking at my head technique. I got annoyed, visibly too, and she asked a fellow student to go get their instructor and explained that she was doing it in that way so as not to hurt me? Instead of the teacher coming over, a male student came over and blew out my hair with ease.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The next disaster was flat ironing. My student tried to use large chunks of hair on my 3 inches of blown out new growth. A third student, owner of the CHI flat iron that was used, came over to show my student how to section off and iron the hair. It took about 3 sections of teaching but my student did finally get it. She was taught the comb chase method. I did have to stop her from using the CHI more than twice per section. At one point I told her that I did not want bone straight hair if it meant burning my length straight. Again she called me chicken. She scared me with holding the iron for too long near my roots while she tried to get the comb underneath to "chase" the iron. The 3rd student stood and watched most of my flat ironing process which made me happy.

The teacher did later come over while I was being flat ironed only to reiterate to my student what the 3rd student had already said about small sections.

So, all in all it was an okay experience but I definitely need a person familiar with transitioning hair. With all the Aveda reviews for naturals and transitioners from friends and forum members, I expected something else.

I paid $41.60 ($30 Damage Remedy treatment & $10 flat iron) plus tax.

I have lots of swing and am pleased with the results. I was done by noon on the dot. Paid by 12:01 p.m. I tipped all 3 students because they all contributed to my hair style.

I think that I will try my own flat iron next time but with a blow out first. I am pretty sure I can do it now that I see the technique used on my head.

Last edited:
a teaching school, a white one at that, you have a lot of new growth and 2 different textures of hair, aveda is a professional line so they do not want other products being used................

not surprised at all.

All things considered, not bad. Though, dang, are most beauty schools that - regimented, I guess is the best word? Seems like they were very resistant to trying any thing other than what they had been taught...... don't they teach client satisfaction in those schools, too? :rolleyes:

Any time you go to an institute or school it is going to be a learning experience. I think you got great results, ESPECIALLY for $41.50 which includes a treatment.

And at least they used really good products on your hair.

I was considering going to get my hair done there when I get ready to straigten.. thanks for the review and that SWANG is on point!!

a teaching school, a white one at that, you have a lot of new growth and 2 different textures of hair, aveda is a professional line so they do not want other products being used................

not surprised at all.
I agree.

Thanks for the review OP, I was considering going there. Your hair turned out nice.

Well they gotta learn somehow! Glad your hair turned out good, Yeah you take a risk going to a beauty school, but at least they learn something new!

One thing they SHOULD teach there is "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT". For me to go to a salon means "I don't feel like doing this hairstyle myself because it makes my arms too tired". SOOOOOO, if I ask you to use this or comb this way or please, don't do that, then that's what I mean. It's not to be bossy or picky, it's your hair. You know your hair better than they do. I'm glad the result was satisfying to you!

thnx so much for this review....i may check them out...but why is that the students who wanna be beauticians act like they never touched a head of hair before. Or u get stuck with that one student who acts that way. Lovely results tho. I lol at u bringing sheamoisture to aveda...lolol...i can just see u popping that bottle outta ur purse and

Very descriptive :grin: and interesting thread! I would say that you and your hair did very well. You-standing firm and not swaying about a trim and your hair with all that swang-swang!!!
You gave them a very great experience with transitioning hair :grin:!! Hopefully they will be more open to not pushing relaxers and trims on any other customer.
I'm sure all three students AND the "relaxed-expert" teacher was "shocked" that your hair would turn out the way that it did :rolleyes:!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I am pretty happy with the results and so is DH:grin: Especially since he didn't have to stand watch over my head again like with those "tree braids".:lachen:

Very descriptive :grin: and interesting thread! I would say that you and your hair did very well. You-standing firm and not swaying about a trim and your hair with all that swang-swang!!!
You gave them a very great experience with transitioning hair :grin:!! Hopefully they will be more open to not pushing relaxers and trims on any other customer.
I'm sure all three students AND the "relaxed-expert" teacher was "shocked" that your hair would turn out the way that it did :rolleyes:!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I am pretty happy with the results and so is DH:grin: Especially since he didn't have to stand watch over my head again like with those "tree braids".:lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:- Ok, I hope that this made up for my professional tree-braider recommendation :rolleyes:" :lachen:!!

About the waiver...

A lot of established stylists still use the waiver. My old stylists did and ESPECIALLY if i was a new customer. They made me fill out a customized waiver citing my hair needs and any problems like dry scalp, tender head, allergens, etc.

I think its necessary in beauty school assuming that it is a school in training and you take the risk of someone working on your head who's not completely certified. I had no issue signing it because i knew those girls were not professionals yet so there was no need for me to get out of pocket for a $20 hairstyle.

Anyway, I didnt like how they kept going against your wishes. You tell someone you are transitioning then why do they keep persuading you to get a relaxer and trim? You already said NO..how many more times must you say no??

And telling you hair myths about having your hair fall out like her friends did. That's her friend's problem, not yours!

My issue is that i dont think women spend enough time in beauty school. 8 months and you're out??!! Why not 2 years like gettin' a degree??

lol. Actually I've been to this school. I was there about a month ago. I'm natural, have been for 5 years so I go to get my hair colored. Everytime I go, its' an experience for some who have never worked with natural black hair and I try to look at it like its a new opportunity for other races to learn about our hair.

That being said i know EXACTLY who ur student's supervisor was. EXACTLY who she was. she ALWAYS has a sourpuss face. She made a face like something was wrong with my hair the last time I went there. I was like "Excuse me? What's the problem?" (that's the Brooklyn in me, lol) She needs some dam education, ur supposed to be a professional who is very hoodish (lol) if u ask me.

I'm glad ur hair turned out well and if u decide to go again understand that it really is a great place and an affordable way to get ur hair done.

HtH

Sounds like you had a real newbie who needed lots of help. I am glad you were so patient with her. I am sure she got nervous, which would have made me VERY nervous.

Thank you!!!! At first I thought it was just me....but my perception of her was so on point....but I didn't let my Brooklyn come out on her. :lachen:

lol. Actually I've been to this school. I was there about a month ago. I'm natural, have been for 5 years so I go to get my hair colored. Everytime I go, its' an experience for some who have never worked with natural black hair and I try to look at it like its a new opportunity for other races to learn about our hair.

That being said i know EXACTLY who ur student's supervisor was. EXACTLY who she was. she ALWAYS has a sourpuss face. She made a face like something was wrong with my hair the last time I went there. I was like "Excuse me? What's the problem?" (that's the Brooklyn in me, lol) She needs some dam education, ur supposed to be a professional who is very hoodish (lol) if u ask me.

I'm glad ur hair turned out well and if u decide to go again understand that it really is a great place and an affordable way to get ur hair done.

HtH

I attended an Aveda Institute (not for hair) and it always amazed me how people expected you to be perfect when it is obvious that you are a student with little to no experience. You get what you pay for at a school.

Nobody has posted that they used a school and expected perfection.

My "student" in particular admittedly graduated the week prior......but did not learn to properly blow dry hair. She clearly did not get what she paid for in tuition.

I attended an Aveda Institute (not for hair) and it always amazed me how people expected you to be perfect when it is obvious that you are a student with little to no experience. You get what you pay for at a school.

I have a color scheduled at an Aveda school in a couple of weeks. ((Gulp)). Hope my appointment goes a little better than this (although I'm not asking for a blow dry/style) so I'm optimistic!

Nobody has posted that they used a school and expected perfection.

My "student" in particular admittedly graduated the week prior......but did not learn to properly blow dry hair. She clearly did not get what she paid for in tuition.

Well at least you did.

It's a shame that the kind of behavior displayed doesn't surprise me at all. Stylists think they know everything just because they went to school for what they're doing, but what they fail to understand is that your knowledge means NOTHING if the customer is not satisfied and people are usually experts at what they like. So it would benefit them more to pay attention and try to do their customer's hair according to their preference. But instead they insist on pushing their customers into doing things they don't really want to do with their hair. And when they see natural black hair they always want to spit some stupidness about relaxers. If a person doesn't ask for a relaxer, then most likely they don't want one. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I have zero tolerance for stylists with a know-it-all mentality. I've had my hair cut drastically short 3 times in my life from stylists/people who thought they knew what was best for my hair instead of listening to me and I never want that to happen again :nono:.

Back