My annual natural hair press (tons of pics)

Amoreofcurls

Ahhhhhhh!!! all darn year I was hella anticipated to do this and as it got closer to Xmas day I just got plain ole nervous, since I was disappointed about my growth this year (hairexia)...Now that its all done, I just realized that im length greedy [LOL] but I will push myself to do more PS in the yr 2011 so I can retain more length...

Afterall its health over length, and the health of my hair has increased in the past yr so im very thankful for that....I acheived my goal of stronger strands in 2010!!

So heres how it all started...I was procrastinating OD during this whole process[LOL]

First I clarified with Sauve Clarifying Shampoo and did a Bentonite Clay treatment. I wanted to make sure my hair was on a super clean state so I can infuse as much moisture as possible...My lazy bone booty ended up leaving the clay on overnight, but my hair felt great the next day....

Since I couldnt DC overnight, I did for about 6 hrs (I can never DC any less than 2 hrs)...I used a mix of Lekair Cholesterol Plus,EQP Intense Fortifying Conditioner, ORS Hair Mayo,AO Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner,JBCO, and Crisco Oil...it left my hair sexay soft and moisturized :lick:

Next I gave myself a quick ACV rinse to seal in the moisture and those cuticles...

Product free hair
21e9hmf.jpg
anzuyx.jpg

I threw 6 big braids in my naked hair so it can airdry and get some stretch, then spritz some Chi Iron Guard spray (heat protectant), and Sabino Lok n Blok (a few drops per section) over it...I braided my hair back up for it to dry some more...

The blow drying was pretty easy, but I think the sabino left my hair slighty sticky...It was all good though because my hair still felt light and airy, just a lil heavier than usual but not bad...I always say the key to a good press is a great blow dry, if your hair is stiff after a blow dry it will be stiff when you flat iron, so whatever products you plan on using to press remember..

LESS IS MORE!

Blow out pics
2j1kho9.jpg
24q4cpz.jpg
kagwpf.jpg

I was feeling far too tired to flat iron myself so I let my mummay do it...Very small sections, and comb n' chase method...I noticed the slight stickiness went away as she flat ironed...

263h3zb.jpg
2rn7n8l.jpg
7254le.jpg
xg9l4h.jpg
2i8j5te.jpg

Silk wrap, applied Sally's One and Only Argan Oil to my ends, dubie wrapped...Sat under the dry for 15mins on high heat ,low speed, then 5 mins of high heat, high speed...
w8b41c.jpg

Results...my layers are almost gone so I had no idea of how to let if fall, im so style challenged with straight hair [LOL]
Cousin It [LOL], no more bangs
2dtzkhv.jpg
2eqcqpj.jpg
35m37gw.jpg
qz2b8h.jpg
nr0ljt.jpg
30sx5lg.jpg

Now I dont no how long I plan on keeping my hair like this...ima bee sooooooo bored for the next few days since we are

snowed in, so hopefully I dont give in and wash it out [LOL]...

Last edited:
Great, first page! The shine is brilliant and your hair is definitely well-loved!

Keep up the great work (cuz we DO know it's work for hair to look that good!)

Looks really nice! How did you fare under that plastic without sweating out your hair? I'm always afraid that my hair is gonna sweat out under plastic.

Looks really nice! How did you fare under that plastic without sweating out your hair? I'm always afraid that my hair is gonna sweat out under plastic.

Fortunately it is very dry upstairs in my house at the moment, my hair usually puffs up as im pressing it :lol:...and for some reason its never my roots first...

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone :-)

Now I feel like I need to get up on my PS game

OP, my transitions darkened indoors from all that bling! :love:

Very nice press!

Psst...Can you walk me through the silk press/plastic wrap step? I'm sorry I rarely read on techniques coz I am not aware of what I don't know, so forgive me if this is common knowledge. I am writing this in invisible ink so those who already know about this don't throw tomatoes :duck: at me for slowing down the class.... :look:

your hair came out great!! it's beautiful curly and straight.
btw, you're really pretty-i love your siggy pic :)

Back