My affair with Lye....... (long)

KeraQueen

Onward & Upwards
.....IS OVER!!!!

After reading all of the posts about lye/ no-lye, I decided to give Affirm Lye Regular a try.

The first time I used it, I was a bit scared (I have a sensitive scalp and thought maybe I would burn myself), so I took it easy and unfortunately underprocessed!! /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

My thoughts were confirmed when two weeks after relaxing my roots looked like they hadn't seen a relaxer for about 10 weeks....

On my next relax day (6 weeks - Couldn't wait any longer!!), I tried again, and got brave, leaving the lye on for the maximum time permitted!!! Eveything seemed okay!!

Fast forward to four weeks post-relaxer>>>>>>>
My hair looked like /images/graemlins/censored.gif!!! Again, I thought I had just under-processed!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

It wasn't until I was reading a thread here about Affirm, and someone posted that, they too looked 'nappy' after two weeks!!

The final straw came this weekend (five & a half weeks post relaxer), when I went to get a trim..... my friend, who is a qualified hairdresser, took one look at me and said,

'I didn't know you were growing your perm out?!!'

WTF??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm not!

So, today, I relaxed, using my orignal relaxer (ORS Olive Oil Regular), and I feel like me again!! My roots are straight, and I know that I'll be able to stretch to my usual 8 - 10 weeks!!!!

My fling with Lye was okay while it lasted, but I realise now, that I should have been faithful to my good old no-lye!!! It hasn't done me any wrong, so why did I step out on it??

No-lye, I Love you, and I'm Sorry!!!!

As the saying goes, ' Everything ain't for everybody!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'm so glad things worked out for you /images/graemlins/clap.gif. It seems ORS is your one and only true lurve /images/graemlins/kissing4.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The final straw came this weekend (five & a half weeks post relaxer), when I went to get a trim..... my friend, who is a qualified hairdresser, took one look at me and said,

'I didn't know you were growing your perm out?!!'

WTF??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm not!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
After awhile Affirm stopped working for me too. You are right, everything ain't for everybody. I find my hair responds much better to no-lye.

Ladylibra - Maybe you're right. Maybe I should see what else is out there? /images/graemlins/whyme.gif The reason I went straight back home (no-lye), is beacause I went and bought the big ole 4lb tub of Affirm, and now I have to see it in my bathroom everyday.... It's a constant reminder of my infidelity!!!!!

In fact....... /images/graemlins/driver.gif I'm off to the exchange board........ maybe it will float someone else's boat!!

[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
After awhile Affirm stopped working for me too. You are right, everything ain't for everybody. I find my hair responds much better to no-lye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

I went and bought the big ole 4lb tub of Affirm, and now I have to see it in my bathroom everyday.... It's a constant reminder of my infidelity!!!!!

LOL@KeraQueen...

"I did not have relations with that tub of Affirm Lye..."

**The ORS relaxer looks at KeraQueen with a crooked eyebrow...**

ORS Relaxer: "I forgive you." /images/graemlins/kissing4.gif

Yeah, I also had a brief stint with a Lye relaxer... against my will (stylist used the WRONG relaxer, & by the time I realized it, it was too late!! /images/graemlins/whip.gif )

My new growth started acting up waaay sooner than usual, and I promptly switched right back to my Affirm No-Lye.../images/graemlins/love.gif I'll never let that happen again!! /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Hi Keraqueen

I don't think its a problem with lye relaxers, its just Affirm itself, it doesn't straighten really tight, thick hair imo. When I used Motions, Revlon, Dudleys (all lye) my hair used to get straight, its only when I used Affirm that I started having problems with underprocessing. I am switching to something else next touch up.

Is there any 4a/b that Affirm lye work in their hair. I used fiberguard my last two touch-up and now I have breakage. I decided to switch to Affirm regular for my next touch-up but reading this thread is making me feel like I should switch to something else. I like the way it doesn't overprocess my hair. I like the texture that Fiberguard gave my hair I just can't deal with the breakage. I was hoping the regular would give me the same texture without the breakage.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Keraqueen

I don't think its a problem with lye relaxers, its just Affirm itself, it doesn't straighten really tight, thick hair imo. When I used Motions, Revlon, Dudleys (all lye) my hair used to get straight, its only when I used Affirm that I started having problems with underprocessing. I am switching to something else next touch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I have fine hair and used affirm lye 2 weeks ago exactly and love the way it straightened. My stylist also used to only use affirm on my hair.

I think I was that " nappy" poster that you were talking about. /images/graemlins/antlers.gif I will be running back to Soft and Beautiful no lye next week. If I am satisfied with the results, I will be placing my 4lb tub on the auction block,too!!! /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

Den1 - I'm PM'ing you!!!

Sith - Maybe you are right about it just being the Affirm..... I'm sure I've used Motions before (way back when I didn't really know the difference between lye and no-lye), and I don't recall any problems...... I think I'll stick with the devil I know for now though!!! /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

KeraQueen...run and don't look back. I swithced from a no-lye to a lye, it looked straight the first 2 days and that was it. I had massive shedding and I experienced breakeage. I normally use Soft & Beautiful, it leaves the hair straight and so soft. I did however try the ORS and was very pleased with the results. It too straightened well and left my hair shiny and soft. I will never go back to lye. I have less shedding and breakeage with no-lye, I just make sure to keep my hair moisturized.

Syze6 - I'm glad you mentioned excessive shedding!!! That happened to me too, but I really did not put it down to the lye....... until now!!!!!! /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Forget running........ /images/graemlins/driver.gif /images/graemlins/driver.gif /images/graemlins/driver.gif

Back