My 1st Wash/Press/Curl

Hair_Goddess

Hey guys. So I made it through my first week of transitioning with my natural hair. I'm going to share with you my triumphs and obstacles with washing my natural hair (which I've never done before) along with some reviews on the Sabino Lok & Blok as well as the Solia flat iron.

The Wash & Condition

I used Matrix Sleek Look Shampoo and Matrix Sleek Look Conditioner for coarse hair. First off, let me just say that I totally understand why my mom and hairdressers always had something to say about my hair. It's a real chore working with all this thick hair! My hair can battle Angela Davis' fro any day! It took me 3 hours just to braid it into 17 braids, wash, and condition it!! And those ouchless bands kept snapping, even during the washing process!!! :nono: But I made it through all that and detangling my hair was a breeze!

Sabino Lok & Blok

I followed Victor's instructions to the letter. I divided my hair into 6 sections and added a quarter size amount of Lok & Blok on the hair and a dime size amount of Lok & Blok on the roots. I even skipped my Avocado rinse after my conditioner because Victor says don't use any "Poo" with his product. So far so good because my hair is STILL STRAIGHT!!!! It's been raining all day today here in NYC and I've been running in and out of the rain all day (sometimes without my hood) to take care of my errands. :blush: My hair usually reverts before my press and curl is finished.

Victor says that it will take 2-3 weeks to figure out how much Lok& Blok is enough for my hair and I think I need to add more Lok & Blok to my roots and ends. My ends were still frizzy and kinky after the second pass with the flat iron so I had to add extra Lok & Blok to my ends and press it again. Maybe this had something to due with the fact that I air dried my hair instead of blow dried it with a comb or maybe I just needed a little more Lok & Blok on my ends. And my roots aren't bone straight either. :sad: I'm not sure if it's because I need more Lok & Blok or because of my flat iron technique (see below). We'll see next Saturday. Anyway, I now have my hair in a wrap and it seems like my ends and roots are straighter.

Also, I noticed that the Lok & Blok made my hair very stiff until I combed it out with a wide tooth comb. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it stiff because I have too much Lok & Blok on my hair??? In any event, my hair is as strong as nails with this Lok & Blok! It's like my hair is on steroids or something. :grin: I can now brush it with the hardest brush and no hair will come out! :blush:

Solia Flat Iron

The jury is still out on the Solia Flat Iron. I pumped it up to 450 degrees and, trust me, this sucker gets HOT, HOT, HOT!!! However, it didn't get my roots totally straight. :sad: I'm not sure if it's because I need to put more than a dime size amount of Lok & Blok on my roots or if it's because of my technique (this was the first time I've ever used a flat iron on my hair). Next Saturday I plan to add a quarter size amount of Lok & Blok on my roots and flat iron each section of my hair horizontally and vertically. If that doesn't work then I will probably go back to my old staple - the electric hot comb. . . .

Also, the right side of my head smells like it's been pressed if you know what I mean. :look: I don't see any damage to my hair so I don't think my hair burned during the straightening process but still the smell is annoying. How can I get rid of this smell??

So that's my update for my first transition week. Although I love natural hair and I know that I will achieve my waist length goal by doing press and curls, I must admit that this is a lot of work! Much props to all my ladies here who are able to keep this reggie up week after week!

I'll give you guys another update sometime next week. Until then, I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• GEDC0484.jpg
    GEDC0484.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 480
  • Final Result.jpg
    Final Result.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 462
Your hair looks wonderful. I love your natural texture. It is beautiful and super thick and healthy. Your press is fabulous as well.

Your hair looks great! Dont you just love the versatility of natural hair?!

I like how soft and durable my hair is when its in its natural state. I could never get these results with relaxed hair. Whenever I would relax (or even texturize) my hair would become dry, brittle, and eventually fall out!!! Now, with the press and curls, I have very little breakage and my hair is still strong and healthy.

Wow, your natural hair is really amazing, I like the results of your press too.

I don't really know how to flat iron with a good technique yet, so my roots are not really straight when I do it myself.

I don't think it's the flat iron, I'm sure you'll get better with more practice.

Lovely hair!

OK guys I'm at the midway point for my first wash and press using Sabino's Lok & Blok and Solia's flat iron.

As you can see, my hair is reverting but it's not nearly as bad as last week! So far, I've been in a rain storm and exercised and my hair is still relatively straight, shiny, and moisturized.

This week's shot
0120001058-vi.jpg

Last Week's Shot
0115001228-vi.jpg

There's a lot of reversion in this pic but my hair is still shiny

0120000958a-vi.jpg

Victor sent me some special instructions on how to apply Lok & Blok to Type 4a and 4b hair and I'd more more than happy to share this with you if you're interested. I'm going to my trusted hair dresser this weekend for a trim so he'll be doing my wash and press this week. In the meantime, I'll keep ya posted on my progress!!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 165
  • reverting.jpg
    reverting.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 165
  • left rear.jpg
    left rear.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 166
ooh, oooh, I want to know what the special tips are!!

OK guys I'm at the midway point for my first wash and press using Sabino's Lok & Blok and Solia's flat iron.

As you can see, my hair is reverting but it's not nearly as bad as last week! So far, I've been in a rain storm and exercised and my hair is still relatively straight, shiny, and moisturized.

This week's shot
0120001058-vi.jpg

Last Week's Shot
0115001228-vi.jpg

There's a lot of reversion in this pic but my hair is still shiny
0120000958a-vi.jpg

Victor sent me some special instructions on how to apply Lok & Blok to Type 4a and 4b hair and I'd more more than happy to share this with you if you're interested. I'm going to my trusted hair dresser this weekend for a trim so he'll be doing my wash and press this week. In the meantime, I'll keep ya posted on my progress!!

Back