My 1st Wash & Go ( I have a question, too)

Phoenix

For the 4th, I tried my first wash & go. I followed Tracey's method, but since she stressed that the particular products you use are not as important as the process, I used some products I had around the house. Basically I CW'd, scrunched with a mixture of NTM Silk Touch and some kind of oil with cones in it (I can't remember the exact name of the product), sprayed with John Frieda Ripple Effect, then let drip dry. Overall, I was very pleased with the result

000_0647.jpg

000_0648.jpg

But, I'm wondering....why is my hair wavy/frizzy at the top and silky/curly on the ends? I can't tell whether this means that the top of my hair is overprocessed or underprocessed. Or maybe it's just that the weight of my hair is stretching out the hair at the top while the ends are able to curl because there is less weight on them. I was trying to show the texture diff in this pic

000_0669.jpg

I was looking at JenniferMD's album and I notice her hair is kind of the same way. What do you think the deal is?

Last edited:
Phoenix said:
For the 4th, I tried my first wash & go. I followed Tracey's method, but since she stressed that the particular products you use are not as important as the process, I used some products I had around the house. Basically I CW'd, scrunched with a mixture of NTM Silk Touch and some kind of oil with cones in it (I can't remember the exact name of the product), sprayed with John Frieda Ripple Effect, then let drip dry. Overall, I was very pleased with the result

62bfb315.jpg

000_0648.jpg

But, I'm wondering....why is my hair wavy/frizzy at the top and silky/curly on the ends? I can't tell whether this means that the top of my hair is overprocessed or underprocessed. Or maybe it's just that the weight of my hair is stretching out the hair at the top while the ends are able to curl because there is less weight on them. I was trying to show the texture diff in this pic

000_0669.jpg

I was looking at JenniferMD's album and I notice her hair is kind of the same way. What do you think the deal is?

It could be because the top is more of your natural hair and the bottom is the relaxed ends. The relaxed ends are usually easier to manipulate in the style you want while the roots generally take on a different pattern.

The hair on the ends is older so it curls up more. The weight from that hair elongates the roots as well. When I did a wash and go on relaxed hair I had to scrunch a bit to het more volume in the roots.

I have the same results with mine. Part of it for me has to do with the texture of my hair in the front is different. But I think that curl effect is normal.

My method for wash and go is to use Elucence MB conditioner as a leave in, then I use Philosophy shear splendor serum. And lastly (and this is what REALLY gives me curl) I use Aveda Be Curly mixed with anti-humectant gel. The Be Curly works wonders!

My hair is mostly 4a with really little coils. I have a few patches of 4b and one crazy type 3 section right in the top.

Peacelove, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll give the Be Curly a try as soon as I get some money. I'm tempted to do a corrective relaxer on the top part to get rid of some of the frizz, but maybe I should just leave it alone. I'd be sick if it turned out bone straight 'cause that spells breakage for my hair.

carolina_belle said:
Looks good! Where did you get the Ripple Effect?

I got it from Walgreen's a long time ago. I think they've discontinued it since. I actually like John Frieda Dream Curls better...they're pretty similar.

Do you think the new Lottabody Tranzitions products will help? I picked up the extreme curling gel and the fast dry curl defyning foam. I liked the old Ripple Effects more than Dream Curls.

TRESS TRANZITIONS Extreme Curling Gel provides Triple Action Protection *TAP* to protect the hair three ways. It protects the hair internally (cortex), externally (cuticle) and it gives it thermal (heat) protection. TAP improves hair's strength and protects it from roots to ends.
Eliminate frizz and enhance curls while conditioning, moisturizing and adding shine.
Specially formulated to defrizz, define, and detangle curls. Ideal for enhancing curls in all climates.

Directions-Dispense ample amounts of foam into hand. Apply evenly to damp towel dried hair. Achieve volume, texture, and shine as you tossle, shake, finger comb or scrunch your curls. For straight styles, wrap-set and dry under a hooded dryer.

Gel:
A must for anyone with tight curls and coarse hair.
Improves condition, moisture retention and combability of the hair. The result is healthy hair full of shine and body.

Foam:
If you have loose curls or wavy hair, get well-defined curls that are soft with lots of shine.
Detangle and fight frizz.
Fast drying, foaming lotion.

Last edited:
I am so glad that I found this post. I have just decided to transition. YEEAAAAA!!!!! And I was wondering if those of us with relaxed hair could do a wash 'n go. It's only been 4 weeks since my last relaxer, so my entire head is relaxed basically. It would be so convienent if I could do this for the remainder of the summer.

Okay, so how does the process go?? Like what type of products will I need (conditioners, serum, mousse)???

Sorry I can't answer your question but I just wanted to let you know that this style looks really cute on you. Is this considered a protective style?

Ok ladies I want to go wash and wear this summer and I have been reading and reading and reading.

So last night I COwashed my hair then I used my surge, a little VO5 conditioner, my spray mixture ( S-curl, alma oil, water and some conditioner) and Bed Head Noodle stuff from sally's. I then let it air dry. My hair had waves but not curls. So I finally decide to braid my hair up and wear a braid out today.

I am saying all of that to ask how do you scrunch? I think that may be why I didn't get my hair curlier than it came out.

BTW I am about 85% - 90% relaxed. Any tips would be appreicated. I really want to try to make this my everyday style. I have been wearing fals but it is getting too hot for that.

LadyR said:
Ok ladies I want to go wash and wear this summer and I have been reading and reading and reading.

So last night I COwashed my hair then I used my surge, a little VO5 conditioner, my spray mixture ( S-curl, alma oil, water and some conditioner) and Bed Head Noodle stuff from sally's. I then let it air dry. My hair had waves but not curls. So I finally decide to braid my hair up and wear a braid out today.

I am saying all of that to ask how do you scrunch? I think that may be why I didn't get my hair curlier than it came out.

BTW I am about 85% - 90% relaxed. Any tips would be appreicated. I really want to try to make this my everyday style. I have been wearing fals but it is getting too hot for that.

When I was relaxed I used to kind of lean my head to the side (let the hair hang) and take my open hand and put it under the ends of my hair and kind of smush it up towards my scalp. I'd keep doing that (up and down) until I saw waves. Then I'd switch and do the other side. I kept my hand open the whole time though. I got this from my friend. She did it all the time when she wanted to wear her hair wet and curly. When I actually scrunched my closing my hand into a fist it made my hair frizzy.

Back