My 1st Major Setback - No Longer BSL 3" Down 3" to go (pics)

I am a doc, I know that for sure. It's one of the clinical signs of hypothyroidism, including dry and flaky skin

I'm just not understanding the how/why of it. My doctor is always really good at explaining things for me so I guess I'll just ask him. I get the skin part...just not getting how it affects the dead hair strands that have already grown out of your hair. Thanks for your explanation though.

setbacks and all, i would STILL love to have your hair. you have been my biggest inspiration to grow my hair long. your progress is so amazing.

Your hair is pretty. It reminds me of my hair, although I'm relaxed the texture is about the same. The best thing I done a year and a half ago was cut my hair. It was shedding so badly my stylist kept asking me what was I doing to my hair. It was a HOT GHETTO MESS :lachen:.

It will grow back before you know it and healthier too.:yep:

So sorry for your setback..recently experienced loosing healthy hair and length ...but I know in the long run we'll both get to our goals ..and trimming is a must

awww, I'm really sorry to hear about your setback :sad: I am going through the same exact thing right now... I need to get my relaxed ends trimmed as well so it doesn't cause any further damage by splitting up the shaft to my natural hair. And I totally agree, I'm a firm believer that trims are needed to keep the ends healthy, maintain a smooth appearance and it really does help to avoid split ends. I need a good 2-4 inches trimmed as well to get rid of the rest of my relaxed ends...:wallbash: Don't worry, your hair will be thicker, longer and stronger in no time.:yep:

I'm just not understanding the how/why of it. My doctor is always really good at explaining things for me so I guess I'll just ask him. I get the skin part...just not getting how it affects the dead hair strands that have already grown out of your hair. Thanks for your explanation though.

I know there is reduced sweat production form eccrine glands in the skin in general. Perhaps there is a reduction in sebum production from the hair follicles. This may contribute to dry skin in general. Sebum and perspiration moisture would not be available to coat the hair shaft contributing to dryness of the hair strand. Just a theory.

I was just thinking that I need a trim too. I might have to get minimum 1" cut of my SL hair.... I'm sad but I know if I go to a stylist that will be the inevitable. I don't think I will make apl by June anymore because I NEED the trim.

You have nothing to worry about because your hair grows fast, trust I have been watching you grow...

OT: I love your body, esp in that RED DRESS!

Three inches seems like a lot. If you look at an individual strand do you see mid shaft spits that high up. Maybe your shortest strands are at that mark and thats why she chose that at the trim length......to get an overall clean looking length. Is she eyeballing or examining your strands closely. I'm thinking she is overestimating the amount you need trimmed.

And I will add that with you just getting your hair cut, I don't see the need for the extra cutting. Especially if you baby your ends and protect them. Not getting why she needs to cut .5" periodically. She just cut your hair.

IDK, I would not would let her continue to cut my hair. Just does not sound right to me.

man, it is so inspiring to see a 4a/b sista do a long-term transition. You just don't know. You have encouraged many!

You have nothing to worry about because your hair grows fast, trust I have been watching you grow...

OT: I love your body, esp in that RED DRESS!

Thanks girl! I'm back to APL, but hopefully I'll get to BSL by December and this time my hair will be much healthier.

And I will add that with you just getting your hair cut, I don't see the need for the extra cutting. Especially if you baby your ends and protect them. Not getting why she needs to cut .5" periodically. She just cut your hair.

IDK, I would not would let her continue to cut my hair. Just does not sound right to me.

Thanks ladies! Last month I went ahead and chopped off all my relaxed ends, so I'm at APL again.:wallbash: I didnt' think it would be as difficult to do, but in some areas in the front and side I only have about 4-5" of hair. The good thing is that I'm finally all natural! YIPEE!!

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my hair evened up because it's terribly uneven now. I straightened my hair for the 1st time by myself (added pics to 1st page). lol I'm going to make sure to tell her to not cut the length too much.

Last edited:
awww you'll be back in no time

I agree and LOVE healthy ends, I am a trimmer!

ur hair still looks lovely ( just saw your second update added)

I feel your pain; ; I also just had a set back and I am ready to just give up and let nature take it's course. :perplexed

Your hair looks wonderful!! Just remember, as a natural your hair tends to grow out in layers. When I was relaxed my hair was even cut as well. So make sure your stylist doesn't cut a lot off trying to even it out. Plus, with the layers, when you wear your hair out in a natural style, it falls nicer.

your hair looks a lot like my sister's.

i didn't trim from when i bc'd last june all the way up to january so i feel you on the raggedy ends thing. i had only flat ironed maybe 4 times in that period, and i used sabino each time, so i know it wasn't due to the heat. the good thing is like you said it's healthier...

*this is what i will keep telling myself when i straighten in a few days and need to trim*

I am confused, were you transitioning before this happened to you...because you seemed to have a lot of new growth. By the way you really have a very nice natural texture. Don't worry it will grow back :)

I am confused, were you transitioning before this happened to you...because you seemed to have a lot of new growth. By the way you really have a very nice natural texture. Don't worry it will grow back :)

Yes, I opted for a lonnggggg transition. I transitioned for 2.5 yrs. Thanks!

Your hair is gorgeous and you give me inspiration of being natural with bsl hair one day. You will be back to bsl in no time.

I will take heed and trim as necessary, even though it kills me sometimes!

Back