Must-haves for beginners?

MzLady78

Hello all!

So, I'm planning to join a few of the new challenges. Although I've been here a few months, this will be my first time really making a effort to get a regimen down. What specific products do you think everyone should have to aid in their healthy, long hair quest? Also, if you could post how you use it that would be great!

I'm already thinking about getting some BT since I know that a lot of people seem to like it.

Last edited:
MzLady78 said:
Where do I get it from and how should I use it?

I'm in Canada so I would not know were to get it in the States but I would say in a Haitien store. Is also called Huile Palmachristi, if this can help. You can apply it to your hair and scalp like any other oil.

Another must have would be: Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo.

castor oil and rosemary oil a must:)

I got mine at Whole food and aslo I've ordered them on line at ibeautyny.com is a smaller bottle for almost the same price.

I always mix my castor oil with rosemary oil , I think this helps for growth.

I love ORS olive oil moisrurizer, is not grase at all so I can use everyday allover my hair if want to. HTH

NTM Silk Touch
Oil or grease to seal (only the ends)
Satin head Scarf or bonnet
Satin pillowcase
Wide Tooth comb for detangling
Satin scrunchies if you plan on bunning
Vitamins

Black Castor Oil- To increase thickness and sheen. You should use a small amount if you're not going to wash it out and just use it to seal the ends of hair.

Nexxus Emergencee- Use it to stop shedding and breakage...I swear by this stuff, its never let me down.

NTM Silk Touch- Amazing moisturizer, if you can find it get it because its going off of many shelves apparently

S-Curl- Great if you want to stretch relaxers or have a nappy nape. It softens the hair and makes it manageable.

Pure Coconut Oil- Gives great shine and moisture to the hair. Its light and smells delicious. Use it to seal in your NTM.

Jilbere shower comb
Plastic caps for deep conditioning, hood dryer or a heat conditioning cap
Heat protectant if you use heat
Clarifying shampoo

A seamless comb
A satin/silk scarf
A camera (to track your progress)
Also keep in mind that some products that work for others may not work for you.

~A moisturizing shampoo that your hair likes. (mine like Nexxus Therappee)
~A moisturizing deep conditioner (mine like Dominican Conditioners like Miss Key Wheat Germ oil, Pratail Humectant-purple one)
~A DC with the perfect balance (for your hair) of protein and moisture. (mine like Emergencia, Aphoghee mixed in Miss Key Wheat Germ Oil)
~A protein Treatment like Aphoghee I use this every 6-8 wks and follow w/Nexxus Humectress as my moisturizing DC.
~A leave-in like NTm, or Sedal Hydraloe it moisturizes and fights against humidity allowing my curls to last till next poo day.
~An oil to seal in moisture like Jojoba oil, Africa's best or Nexxus Botanoil. I like them because the don't weight the hair down, very light oils.

I don't use blowdryers and hardly ever flatiron, I either airdry or rollerset and even when I don't want to wear my hair curly I'll still rollerset for a sleeker finish and then style my hair.

Once you find what works for you hair Consistency is defiantely the key there on out.

ETA: That shampooing and DC 2x's a wk is also a good thing.

Last edited:
EbonyHairedPrincess said:
NTM Silk Touch
Oil or grease to seal (only the ends)
Satin head Scarf or bonnet
Satin pillowcase
Wide Tooth comb for detangling
Satin scrunchies if you plan on bunning
Vitamins

Good choices, I would like to add:

Profective healthy ends, elasta qp mango butter, seal with kemi oyl, castor oil, or coconut oil.

Motions Critical Protection Repair Conditioner.
Aubry Organics GPB Hair Nutrient.
Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo (Green Bottle).
Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner.
Invest in a hooded dryer or a heating cap.
ORS Aloe Shampoo- To remove rebuild up.
Dabur Vatiki Oil and Alma (my faves)
Queen Helene Cholesterol or Leklair Cholesterol.
Keracare detangling shampoo/humecto conditioner in tub.
That's all I can think of right now. I use way more stuff than this but I don't want to flood ya...consider this a starter kit:lol:

Back