Mushy weak hair! I'm SCARED to touch it!

Polyesterdiva

Okay, so I don't know how the heck it happened...but my hair is so mushy, stretchy, and protein deprived. It's about 2 inches longer when wet (from the stretch-iness plus weight of the water).

For the last two weeks I haven't even shampooed it (since all my shampoos are moisturizing). I just co wash very gently with Aphogee 2 min and Keraphix. I've also done a couple treatments with Emergencee for even longer than the recommended times. These take "the edge off" the mushiness and I feel like I can at least handle my hair. Come the next wash time however (after a couple of days) the hair is mushy again.

My leave ins are Profectiv BreakFree and MegaGrowth (applied while wet) and then some Fantasia IC Polisher/serum.

I'm paranoid and worried that my hair is over-processed by relaxers and will is irreversibly, structurally weak and messed up. :wallbash:

Think this is so? Anyone have any products to recommend? Anyone been in this situation before?

how's the porosity?

Do you ever apply conditioners like a relaxer? That is the only way i experiment when my hair is like that.

Barely manipulate it, but apply Roux PC like a relaxer, with a relaxer brush/sprush and then protein condish mixed with moisture condish (I use cheapie Garnier L&S mixed with Costco moisturizing, but any brands will do) the same way.

(not an expert tho, so read sista slick first)

hth

ITA with EVERY ladies comment above. I will/can definitely be fixed. You will just need to dedicate a lot of time and love to baby your hair back to a healthy state. You'll get there in time. :drunk:

I rushed in here to say maybe you need some protein... but then I read your post and saw that you have already incorporated protein in your regimen.

Try the PC as suggested and also the other thing I would suggest is to simplify your reggie ie just use one protien, one leave-in, one shampoo etc That way its easier to identify possible culprits.

Maybe you should also step back from the daily co-washes? It may be too much for your hair at this point.

At some point I remember my hair felt like this - all mushy and weak - but with time it did stabilize and come back to normal. I just did less to it and added PC to my reggie.

HTH

Keraphix isn't going to cut it and neither will the aphogee 2 min. You need to get a strengthing shampoo like joico kpak or redken extreme and use a stronger protein treatment like duo Tex, dudleys drc, or the aphogee two step treatment. There are plenty of fortifying and/or protein based shampoos.

I was going to suggest you move to using Joico products as well, but Gymfreak beat me to it. :-) Kpak Reconstructor should hook you right on up.

Keraphix isn't going to cut it and neither will the aphogee 2 min. You need to get a strengthing shampoo like joico kpak or redken extreme and use a stronger protein treatment like duo Tex, dudleys drc, or the aphogee two step treatment. There are plenty of fortifying and/or protein based shampoos.

GymFreak said it best. I had this issue not too long ago. I tried some of the ones you mentioned and none of them worked. The Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (the stinky one, where you sit under the dryer, and it gets hard like a helmet) helped a great deal. Then I followed it with henna a few weeks later. And I kept up with porosity treatments to keep the hair shaft filled in and smooth. The milder proteins are for maintenance.

Do a heavy protein, and a porosity treatment to get to the root of the problem first. Then use the other products for regular maintenance. Every 6 weeks for the next few months, do a major protein, to get you back on track. Stay on top of it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Okay, so I don't know how the heck it happened...but my hair is so mushy, stretchy, and protein deprived. It's about 2 inches longer when wet (from the stretch-iness plus weight of the water).

For the last two weeks I haven't even shampooed it (since all my shampoos are moisturizing). I just co wash very gently with Aphogee 2 min and Keraphix. I've also done a couple treatments with Emergencee for even longer than the recommended times. These take "the edge off" the mushiness and I feel like I can at least handle my hair. Come the next wash time however (after a couple of days) the hair is mushy again.

You're still using too much moisture. Use the shampoo but don't co-wash with conditioner. Apply a small amount of the Profectiv or the IC Serum but not both and then use an oil in your hair like almond or olive oil...even a little castor. You need to dry your hair and not leave it bunned wet...if that's the case.

Last edited:
You're still using too much moisture. Use the shampoo but don't co-wash with conditioner. Apply a small amount of the Profectiv or the IC Serum but not both and then use an oil in your hair like almond or olive oil...even a little castor. You need to dry your hair and not leave it bunned wet...if that's the case.

ITA....the ladies have given the answer you need already. You are in need of a stronger protein treatment.

Thank you everyone who replied! The advice has been really helpful! I'm going to run out and get some Aphogee 2 step and/or Joico K pak, and use some PC (which I have in my stash and haven't used in a very long time).

I'll post an update and let everyone know how it goes!

Back