MTG Tarnishes Silver Jewelry!!

ichephren

My sis and I have been using MTG for about 2wks now and we noticed that our sterling silver jewelry is getting tarnished. So, apparently, sulfur tarnishes silver (sulfur + silver = silver nitrate). I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just us. Anyway, beware and make sure that the MTG stays on your scalp.

Yeah, you will want to set the silver aside for a while. Another member made a post with a homemade solution for removing the tarnish. She said she couldnt even wear her anklet when she showered because of the sulfur. I tried to find the post but I couldnt. Perhaps someone else can link or bump the thread for you.

Any sulphur products will tarnish silver but not gold. The good news is that a jewellery cleaner even toothpaste will remove the tarnish and restore the colour!

MeechUK

MeechUK said:
Any sulphur products will tarnish silver but not gold. The good news is that a jewellery cleaner even toothpaste will remove the tarnish and restore the colour!

MeechUK

Thanks MeechUK for the tip.
I noticed that too. I think LondonDiva also mentioned that you should take off your jewellery before using MTG.

I apply MTG to my scalp only using a dye applicator with a fine tip. It comes out in a small amount, and it stays exactly on my parts unitl I massage it in.

How much product are you using at one time? Is it dripping on your earrings? Or necklaces?

It doesn't have to drip onto your earrings. Even my bracelet is tarnished when I wash my hair(the sulfur gets washed off onto it?). My sister even had her anklet tarnish! The toothpaste works like a charm though :)

zoj2 said:
bumping, this is good to know, I almost had a fit cuz I thought my silver hoops were ruined!

Bumping

They aren't ruined. Use a silver cleaning cloth. My silver went BLACK and I was vex cause the chain was Tiffany. I used a cleaning cloth on it and OMG.

Just don't wash the cloth.

And even the gold tarnished. Mine did.

LondonDiva said:
Bumping

They aren't ruined. Use a silver cleaning cloth. My silver went BLACK and I was vex cause the chain was Tiffany. I used a cleaning cloth on it and OMG.

Just don't wash the cloth.

And even the gold tarnished. Mine did.

where did you get the cloth from, is that something only found in jewelry stores? I got a silver stud that went black cuz I got a little horse juice on it

This is what I do:

Place a piece of aluminum foil in a bowl (shiny side up) and then sit your jewelry on it. Then pour baking soda on top to cover it all up. Then pour boiling water on top of that. It will start bubbling and soon no tarnish. But, the silver has to be part of the reaction (bubbling) for it to work.

Works every time.

My gold tarnished too.

All my silve did and I just put MTG on my scalp. I'm thinking because my hair is long, some MTG probably does makes it way down my hair shaft hitting my earrings. And I guess if I just keep my hands out of my hair, my rings wouldn't tarnish either. lol

I'm sorry my vain pseudo bougie arse may have to put this ish down because it was ruined my David Yurman. Now granted it finally came clean and I wanna thank the girl with the excellent cleaning recommendation...But my rather expensive necklace was looking like boo boo along with my earrings :mad:

Pre Poo and if the residue is left and turns my ish black....I will use it on my dogs.

Back