MTG: A "Human Version," the smell, and the price increase addressed!

Pistachio,
Thats what I did. I poured out the liquid in the MTG bottle, kept the sulphur and mixed it with WGO. I have been doing this for 3 days. Applying everyday nite. the smell is much better. I put 1 oz of sulphur and 2 oz of WGo in a seperat application bottle and shake. I do say I am going to cut down on the application to 2-3 per/wk. My hair is too oily. This happened when I was using MTG striaght up too. I can't stand oily hair.

Thanks! I did it just now, but I had just a small amt. of MTG oil left because I was afraid that some of the sulfur would go down the drain with it.

Golong said:
Pistachio,
Thats what I did. I poured out the liquid in the MTG bottle, kept the sulphur and mixed it with WGO. I have been doing this for 3 days. Applying everyday nite. the smell is much better. I put 1 oz of sulphur and 2 oz of WGo in a seperat application bottle and shake. I do say I am going to cut down on the application to 2-3 per/wk. My hair is too oily. This happened when I was using MTG striaght up too. I can't stand oily hair.
why not just buy sulfur? it costs maybe two dollars a bottle???

I would love too. I don't know where to buy it.
Where can I buy sulphur and what kind do I get? when I google search I see there are dozens of types of sulphur I'm afraid to buy the wrong type. Which is the correct one and where do I get it.

Golong said:
I would love too. I don't know where to buy it.
Where can I buy sulphur and what kind do I get? when I google search I see there are dozens of types of sulphur I'm afraid to buy the wrong type. Which is the correct one and where do I get it.

IS there a liquid sulfur? I have the yellow powder and it won't incorporate into the oils I have for some reason.

cmw45 said:
the price for just the oil base for Original M-T-G has increase by 80%.

:eek: That is too damn much of an increase. So does that mean they will be going up by 80% also?

I already have 2 large bottles of MTG left once I'm done with them I will not be repurchasing. :nono:

Last edited:
For the ladies looking to buy the yellow sulphur powder, I purchased it from Baldwins in the UK. I'm in the US and I received my order in about a week. It's inexpensive too. For more information, check out the hair recipes board and check out the homemade MTG thread (very informative). Sorry, I'm too lazy to post a link to the thread.

Hair Iam said:
That's exactly what I did. I realized it was the sulfur that was the active ingredient. And started using my own mix of essential oils that promote growth and
Stimulation. I then tested and produced a product called "Karen's Hair Elixir" I have been selling this and using it for the past 7 months with 1 inch of consistent growth per month. I have sold to males and females who are experiencing the same results.

can you list what is in your hair elixir?

tia,

cocoberry10 said:
Where can you buy sulfur in the US? Can you buy at a pharmacy? Thanks!:)

Yes, I saw it at my local pharmacy behind the counter. You have to ask for it.

The sulfer powder must be saturated in the oil and shaken vigorously. Use a hair color applicator bottle to mix it. I mixed some with EVOO and use it on my dermatitis.

Qhemet has a sulfur pomade that's all natural and doesn't contain mineral oil. Has anyone experienced growth from it or mixed it with mtg?

melodee said:

The sulfer powder must be saturated in the oil and shaken vigorously. Use a hair color applicator bottle to mix it. I mixed some with EVOO and use it on my dermatitis.

Thanks Melodee!:) I'm glad that you can use EVOO, my hair really likes that. I will probably add some other oils, but that's the main one.

keluric said:
My first thought entering this thread was "aw hell, what have ya'll contacted the company about NOW?" Well, I think they're full of it to blame ALL of the price increase on oil prices. But uh.. I don't see the initial correlation between the price increase and the advent of a new product. It's more to the tune of: demand is increasing and they know exactly why since people contact the company and gladly tell them.

"Everyone has to be a winner." She's a diplomatic one, I'll give her that. Shapley's still doesn't strike me as a company with a triple (or even 'double') bottom line.. I don't buy it. Stock up, ladies, stock up.

Her arguement is obviously that there isn't one...However, research cost money and to subsidize the cost of the research they may be doing for this new product...

ALSO: You know what else I thought was wierd...how is it that the PRESIDENT of a company has time to anwser suggestion letters? Shapely's must be a very very small company...which is why I believe that there may be a correlation between the cost of research for their "new" product and the increase in the cost of MTG.

Last edited:
melodee said:

I'm going to have to look into this. With the price of MTG rising, I am not willing to pay 20+ for some sulfur in mineral oil. I'll only pay double digits for pure ingredients...that's how I'm rolling these days. LOL!

Is it cheaper at the pharmacy or the health food places? I've seen Sulfur or powdered MSM sold for upwards of $25 to $30 in the Springfield VA area...

This burns me on so many levels. Folks were complaining about Cathy Howse , coming out with a book for naturals after all these years talking about how you can grow relaxed hair long. she's a business woman any smart business person wants to keep up with what's current in their market to keep making money. Good for her.

Yes, of course Shapleys is a small farm supplier but Vern and them done seen how us folks are snatching this old horse ointment off the shelves cause you know they can't grow no hair like us. So they said if they want it we gonna make them pay for it and put some perfume in it and repackage it they won't know no better. Don't things that are used on humans have to be tested by the FDA or something?

I am not personally calling out anybody and I'm glad for whoever has had miracle results from this fungicide or whatever they use it on horses for.I also know I can use it or not. NOT!! I guess my alarm just come from thinking about the after effects of using prods not approved for humans on my head. I guess next we'll see jars of hair grease from the company that makes Monistat with the picture of a sister with long hair on the label :lol: .

msdeevee said:
This burns me on so many levels. Folks were complaining about Cathy Howse , coming out with a book for naturals after all these years talking about how you can grow relaxed hair long. she's a business woman any smart business person wants to keep up with what's current in their market to keep making money. Good for her.

Yes, of course Shapleys is a small farm supplier but Vern and them done seen how us folks are snatching this old horse ointment off the shelves cause you know they can't grow no hair like us. So they said if they want it we gonna make them pay for it and put some perfume in it and repackage it they won't know no better. Don't things that are used on humans have to be tested by the FDA or something?

I am not personally calling out anybody and I'm glad for whoever has had miracle results from this fungicide or whatever they use it on horses for.I also know I can use it or not. NOT!! I guess my alarm just come from thinking about the after effects of using prods not approved for humans on my head. I guess next we'll see jars of hair grease from the company that makes Monistat with the picture of a sister with long hair on the label :lol: .

Uh-oh, uh-oh!!!

ChiChiKinks said:
I completely agree. Shipley's are taken advantage of the fact that the majority of the ladies here are using it so that's why the raise the price and give some BS excuse about it. We've already made them rich from the original MTG, now that we've figured out their secret, let's not play the fool twice. I say don't buy from them again, instead make your own or just buy from Naturelady or the other ladies that make their own on this board!

ITA....they won't get my money again..I brought some last Sept. and I've used it twice.....I've recently purchased from Naturallady...and I'll purchase from anyone else making it....I'll even try making my own...that stuff stinks anyway and its so friggin greasy:) :)

Back