Moving to Edmonton, AB, Canada

blue_flower

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever immigrated to Edmonton, AB and what their experience was like finding a job. I actually just got my license to practice as an LPN, so now I'm in the process of applying for a job. Usually it's wise to keep the job you have until you get a new one. But since I'm applying for a new job in a different country, I'm wondering if I should just start applying once I move there, hopefully in November. I'm hoping to find an employer who will help me get a work visa.

I have been on allnurses.com but I sense a lot of anti-IEN sentiment from the posts over there. Matter of fact, when I took my license exam a couple months ago, the majority of the people in the room were African and Asian.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or knows anything about the nursing field over there, just let me know! Thanks!

Speaking from the experience of a friend, it's pretty hard to find an employer who will sponsor your work visa if you're in the health care field. It'll probably be easier for you to get the visa on your own and then apply for jobs. Even if you moved here and you haven't yet found a job in the health care field, there are TONS of jobs available in the trades and service industry :yep: I see 'Now Hiring' signs all over the place.

It's a good city to live in also. But the winters are horrible :nono:

I just realized I posted in the wrong forum! I was thinking about doing an online-program at a university so I can then apply for a work visa. That will probably be the best thing for me to do. Unfortunately, nurses aren't considered for the skilled workers program anymore. If I can find an employer to help me obtain a visa, that would be great. I'm used to lots of snow and cold weather, so I can handle that!

Back