Moving to Africa- need essential hair list

abainaa

Hey all! I'm moving to Namibia to teach English on September 10th and I need to come up with a shopping list of essential things to have. So far this is what I'm thinking;

1. Cheap conditioner for conditioner wash- Suave or VO5
2. Moisturizing conditioner- Biolage Fortifying Balm, best product ever!
3. Mild shampoo- ? Creme of Nature?
4. Bone comb- never used one but everyone is raving
5. Moisturizer- ? Something water-based, my hair doesn't like oil, it makes the strands stick together. Any ideas?
6. Prepoo or hot oil treatment- going to use some ess. oil
7. What would you put here?

I'm planning on creating my own challenge for the entrie time I am there: no heat, no excessive combing or styling. I am literally going to wash, detangle (when dry) and wear. I'm buying a digi cam too. Any suggestions?

Wow Africa! You are so lucky! But on to the subject at hand for mild shampoo--anything Nature's Gate or Jason's All natural, Aubrey.

Bone comb-Definately, I've been using one for about a year and it really does make a difference.

Pre-poo/hot oil--hot six oil or mix Extra virgin olive oil with honey and let sit on your hair for 1/2hr to 1hr before you wash out.

Essential oils a must!

I hope my 2cents helped

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for the input. Alli, I never thought of honey in my hair, but it sounds good.
Ladylibra, i'm sure you'll make it there. Its one of those things on my lifetime list of things to do so might as well check it off now!
Any other suggestions?

Are you going to do touchups while there? You should take your relaxer/texturizer with you.

I like the infusium 23 leave in moisturizer.

You know that just occured to me, thatnks Jaelin. I have no idea what brand they use over there and i'd rather not be surprised. I am going to buy a few mild relaxers, maybe Just for Me or something.
And also protien conditioner. I hear Emergencee is pretty good

<font color="purple">Gotta have the unrefined shea butter for those times when you put your hair in a bun or something, and you need to really moisturize those ends. I don't know about the water over there, but for my sake, take some distilled water just in case. Have a safe trip and post some pics when you can!!!
wink.gif

BCurls </font>

Just jumping in here to ask if braids would not be a excellent option while there? You can get it braided for probably next to nothing, low maintenance and very little products needed to maintain.

I have family in West Africa and visit regularly (Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria) and let me tell, those ladies can BRAID hair and for next to nothing compared to what they charge here. Also, not having to worry about my hair while traveling is essential . . .

Thanks babycurls, i will be definitely lookinf for some pure shea butter over there.
Neroli, truthfully I had a baaad experience with braids the one time I braided my hair and I have been scared to go back. I went to some African women in Harlem and they braided my hair really welll but it was so tight it was painful for the first few days. When I took them out, I lost so much hair that I had to cut my hair from back length to chin length! This was almost 5 years ago and I haven't brought mytself to have braids again since. I'm scurrrd. I think i'll just take the chnce and leave it out with a lot of buns.

Wow, that's awesome, abainaa. I'd suggest for #7, a heat cap for your treatments. My hair also doesn't work well with braids...so I understand staying away. I can't live without Nexxus Therappe shampoo, since you have a question mark by the shampoo. Have fun and good luck
smile.gif

They have Just for me relaxer in Southern Africa; they also have VO5 products, basically, you will find most of the store brands we talk about here, its the professional lines eg Nexxus, Biolage, that you will have a harder time finding. Enjoy yourself, I have some Namibian friends, they are nice people. I'm sure you'll be fine.

A heat cap is a great idea but I have heard bad things about ones that don't stay on your head. I'll look into it.

sithemble- I thought there would be some products but I wasn't sure if I would get into the capital to buy them and if they would ridiculously jacked up prices as imported "luxury' items tend to be. Cause I know in Jamaica trying to buy Nexxus will break your bank acct.
smile.gif

A soft bonnet dryer is a good alternative to a heating cap if you feel it won't stay on your head. You can also use it for roller sets, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:I have family in West Africa and visit regularly (Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria) and let me tell, those ladies can BRAID hair and for next to nothing compared to what they charge here.

[/ QUOTE ]
AND they do a beautiful job. My sis came home from a visit and her braids were very professionally done.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I like the Relaxed and Naturl line.. I definitely plan on at least getting the conditioner for a moisturizing treatment. I have never bought a Dominican product tho, but i will be checking them out, especially the Salerm since evryone is talking about that.
Plastic shower caps is another thing thing I didnt think of.
I'm definitely doing either VO5 or Suave for CW

I wouldn't get braids. What relaxer do you use now? I would stick with that. I would get the tangle tamer, since I think you've said before that your hair tangles.

I just wanted to say have a nice time in Namibia, my mother has been there over 10 times and loved every minute of it!
smile.gif

Just a note. Your electric appliances may not work there because the electrical outlets are different. You may have to purcase electrical things there or an adapter.

Plenty of plastic caps for moisture is the number one thing. If you have a moisturiser for you hair that too. Have a great time. I teach English as well and would love to know more about this. I am going to shoot you a PM.

Thanks guys, I definitely didn't think about the outlet thing.
cutebajangirl, do you have any suggestions for a tangle tamer? I will definitely need one but I have never actually bought one.

It is an actual machine that is called a tangle tamer. I think the website is tangletamer.com. It uses baterries or a plug. As someone who gets a lot of tangles I can swear by this working.

Are you taking some good old apple cider vinegar? and something to wear to protect your hair. kike those soleil hats. Real chic! Sun filtering. I would be worrying about the sun drying out my hair and burning my scalp or just plain passing out from the heat. Bonjour.

Thanks cutebajangirl, o'll look out for that.
Mahaliee, I don't know if I can do much about the sun damage. I think i'm just going to risk it. As long as I keep it moisturizrd at he most i think i'll end up with lighter hair than it is now.

Back