"Most Shampoos are a Waste of Money"

LovinLocks

http://www.howlifeworks.com/health_...te_of_Money_269/?AG_ID=706&cid=8088vy_news_rm
Oh really!! :ohwell:

It’s the dirty little secret shampoo companies don’t want you to know—when you wash your hair with one of those nutrient-rich shampoos, most of the nutrients and active ingredients in the product don’t actually end up in your hair, they wind up down the drain… along with all the money you spent on the shampoo.

Check out article for more 4-1-1.

http://www.howlifeworks.com/health_...te_of_Money_269/?AG_ID=706&cid=8088vy_news_rm

I agree. I spend my money on stuff that stays on my hair, like reconstructors, leave-ins, stylers.

That article was really an advertisement for Kronos, and no, I do not agree. Shampoo is supposed to cleanse your scalp and remove dirts and impurities from your hair. A quality shampoo will do this without stripping your hair to the point where it is dry and frizzy. It's not supposed to "leave" something behind, it's taking bad things away. I found the ingredients to those products and was not impressed.

ehhh this just looks like an advertisement disguised as an informative article

but i agree shampoos for the most part suck, I use Loreal Sulfate free reconstructing shampoo...its probably the best shampoo ive used. It cleans my scalp without stripping but its not very moisturizing. However, it's the best ive got so far. I only shampoo every other week, once a week if my ezcema is flaring up.

I don't know...I love my Aveda shampoos (Damage Remedy, Dry Remedy, and Scalp Benefits). They're magnificent and I feel a difference when I use them. My KeraCare shampoos are also awesome. My hair is clean and easy to detangle. Actually, after I use KeraCare Hydrating, Detangling shampoo, I could easily skip the conditioner.

I think Cathy Howse's book said something about "vitamin-rich" shampoos being a waste, but I disagree.

I have no personal beef with shampoos (they've been good to me) but I don't really know what to think of the shampoos that promise to deposit anything in your hair. It doesn't sit on the hair long enough like a deep conditioner and it's whole purpose is to cleanse unlike the 3 minute conditioners which are packed with moisture. Seems like someone had the wrong idea about what shampoo's supposed to do.

i only shampoo once a month also and when i do its just to cleanse my scalp, i never expect shampoos to deliver nutrients- thats why it bothers me that many ppl i know only shampoo thier hair without using conditioner :(

Whatever. To each her own. Do what works for your hair not what an article say does or does not work. My hair enjoys being shampooed.

Many are, but not all. For example, ORS creamy aloe clarifies and chelates without turning my hair to straw. Haven't found that with any other brand I've tried.

I disagree. Shampoo clings to the dirt particles on the hair strand and it isn't even designed to penetrate the hair. It is designed to lift dirt from the hair and once you rinse it away with water, of course the dang shampoo is supposed to get rinsed away as well. lol. Shampoos are only a waste of money if they leave harmful ingredients on your hair strand and you end up with hair that is worse than what you started with. All the organic poo bars I buy are a bang for my buck.

I'm finishing up a bottle of Cream of Nature poo - simply refuse to throw it away. I haven't really settled on where I'll go from there. I do know a few things:
  1. I love ayurvedic hair care
  2. Co-washing daily as I do I don't imagine my hair to be overly dirty in the first place
  3. I also like Dr. Bronner's vegetable soaps and they can be used for a VARIETY of purposes

No doubt ayurvedic principles will win out in how I clean (take care of) my hair in general. I thought the "advertisement" was hilarious! :spinning:

Shampoo is not supposed to add anything to your hair anyway - it is supposed to clean your scalp and hair. I clicked the link, and the article seems to be an advertisement for yet another shampoo...
I don't expect more out of my shampoo than to cleanse my hair and scalp. Some are better and gentler at it than others, but as long as my hair isn't tangled, stripped and dry after washing, I'm happy.

Last edited:
The article/advertisement is marketed toward the 'average' consumer who just might believe that 'special' herbs/vitamins/proteins are added to their hair.

I only use 3 shampoos and they do everything I need them to do.

Back