More kinks more cost!

ronalisa

Today I went to a Lugo's hair store in Miami to buy some human hair for my kinky twists and to my surprise they were selling their "afro kinky" hair for more than the wavy and curly hair (afro kink $40 an ounce, jheri curl $35 an ounce). I originally wanted bra-strap length (maybe 14") kinky hair for my twists but they only had short kinky hair so instead I bought the jheri curl hair. By the way, my total was $200 so I'm in sticker shock right now. Considering my hairdresser will charge $70 for twists, this style better last me for 3 months, and even then I may wash the hair and reuse. This whole episode made me think of Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" when he asked the question "Who wants to buy black hair?" and he basically concluded it didn't have much value. After today I beg to differ.:grin:

Well it could be that the "Go Natural" trend is at an ALL TIME high since the 70's is causing the cost of all things natural black hair care to SKY ROCKET. It's not just the kinky hair, its the natural products, the natural salons, natural hair care lines that are all taking advantage of women going natural. I went to a hair salon that specializes in natural hair care for kinky twists with extensions about two weeks ago. They were asking:
  • $290 for kinky twists
  • $260 for medium sized individual braid extensions
  • $180 for medium sized cornrow extensions
  • $90 for just a wash, deep condition and trim.
That was the general asking price more/less for Natural Hair Care Salons

When regular non-specializing braiding salons generally charge
  • $180 for kinky twists,
  • $160 for medium sized braid extensions,
  • $90 for med-sized cornrow extensions
  • $40 for wash, condition, and trim.
The natural hair care salons claim that they are "gentler" and "understand" natural hair so you have to pay for their expertise in this "special" kind of hair care. I've seen women taking the much cheaper DIY approach and having phenomenal success. :ohwell:

Back