Mom's relaxer didn't take..how soon to do another?

LawyerBarbie07

I just relaxed my mothers hair with her Dr. Miracles No-Lye that she swears by. (For anyone who's curious about the line, I've been using the whole line on her hair successfully for about a year and her hair is really growing.)

Anyway, she purchased her last relaxer from the asian beauty supply store instead of Sallys and either it was a fake or it was old because it did not take on her hair at all. Here hair looks the exact same as before we put it in (I always do our families relaxers so I know how to do it properly).

So how soon is too soon to re-relax her hair? Has anyone had this experience and then successfully re-relaxed?

lol..shes freaking out because she's 8 weeks post and Easter is around the corner, but I don't want to damage her hair thats growing so well.

I had the same problem. I had braids and took them out. Being very cognizant about not damaging my hair I had a lot of jojoba oil in my hair so after 16 weeks I went to my stylist for a touch-up and the perm didn't take. I'm going this weekend but it's been 8 additional weeks since then. I would try to wait for more new growth and then do a corrective perm. But I guess it really won't matter how long you wait because the hair will be underprocessed 1 or 5 weeks from now. Should probably do some intense protein treatments to make sure the hair is strong first. Just a suggestion.

I had this happen to me before after having braids in for a while. My stylist made me wait 6 more weeks. And just straightened my roots with the curling iron as she bumped my wrap.

CAPlush said:
I think the bare minimum you should wait is 4 weeks, but try to go for 6.

Try to wait atleast 6. I just did a corrective myself and it does help to have some sort of newgrowth plus you need to be able to fit in a protien treatment and really get your moisture levels back up before you relax again. To help make the hair more managable while she waits, pick up some porosity control and use it just for a min. before she deep conditions. It really makes a big difference

Thanks so much ya'll! It didn't take as well as we had liked, but after deep deep deep conditioning and flat ironing it, its nice, full and mostly straight...almost like we textulaxed it. It'll probably be a hot mess by the time another eight weeks rolls around but we're going to hang in there as long as we can.

LawyerBarbie07 said:
I just relaxed my mothers hair with her Dr. Miracles No-Lye that she swears by. (For anyone who's curious about the line, I've been using the whole line on her hair successfully for about a year and her hair is really growing.)

Anyway, she purchased her last relaxer from the asian beauty supply store instead of Sallys and either it was a fake or it was old because it did not take on her hair at all. Here hair looks the exact same as before we put it in (I always do our families relaxers so I know how to do it properly).

So how soon is too soon to re-relax her hair? Has anyone had this experience and then successfully re-relaxed?

lol..shes freaking out because she's 8 weeks post and Easter is around the corner, but I don't want to damage her hair thats growing so well.

OMG , I heard that dr. miracles wasnt very good for our hair. My last stylist was telling me about her cousin using the oil and her hair starting to nap up and break off a LOT overtime. I believe it contains mineral oils or something too (not saying that is what does the damage, but I know its bad stuff). I dont know about the relaxer, but i threw away my oil treatment out of fear lol.

Back