Molasses in hair???

Porsche19

Does anyone here use molasses in their hair?

I haven't heard of using it in the hair before, I was reading some old posts and someone mentioned it.

Seems like it would be similar to using honey in your hair.

Would you use it the same way you use honey, in deep conditioners and in hot oil treatments? Can you use it with honey?

What are the benefits of using it? I have never eaten molasses, is there a specific type/brand that's good for hair?

I don't have any molasses, but would definitely use it. It works pretty much like honey, serves the same purposes.

I DO!! and I loovve :love: it. Mind you the mixture below is messy, really messy, (it drips all over the place), and I would recommend that you apply it to your hair will you're in the tub or over a sink. I got this recipe from http://alternativehealth.lifetips.com

"Our AlternativeHealth Guru Offers This Tip On: Quick Hair Repair
Dried out hair? Try the Molasses Intensive Hair Conditioner. Here’s what you’ll need:
3 tablespoons cold-pressed sweet almond oil, 3 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (use honey if you´re blond because the molasses will darken your hair slightly), 2 egg yolks, and 2 teaspoons aloe gel. Whip together oil, molasses, and yolks. Add aloe, and stir to form a smooth paste. Dip hairbrush into mixture and apply to clean, dry hair. Cover your head with a plastic shower cap and warmed towel to trap moisture and body heat. Leave on for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water, finishing with a brief tepid rinse. Allow hair to air dry for deeply-conditioned hair. "

Because my hair is very thick I usually use 3 tablespoon of black strap molassess, 3-4 egg yolks (think ultimate cholesterol treatment :) ), 3-4 tablespoons of jojoba oil (subsitute, will try sweet almond oil next), and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice (have the juice didn't want to spend any more money). Mix it up, apply to hair, cover with plastic cap/bag, sit under hood dryer for 15 minutes, remove heat from head cover hair and plastic cap with an old shirt (to help keep the heat in) and leave in for as long as I feel like. I usually rinse throughly and then do an ACV rinse. This works like a charm -- makes my hair feels simultaneously stronger and softer. Have no problem combing through my hair. There is no after smell, no rawness from the eggs or anything. Shiny hair when dry.

Hope that helps. If you try it please let us know how it went for you.

mzjones

I went to purshase some, but the store was out... I ended up buying more honey.
I still want to try molasses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------copyrighted: It is on the Recipe Board under Search " Mahalialee molasses" Hope this helps. There is a lot of info on molasses on this LHCF under search

1. MAHALIALEE'S LIMOLASIC Liquid - INGREDIENTS:

2 tsp.. Freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbl pure cane sugar
1 tbl. pure black strap molasses
hot water, stir: let cool. Add 1 tbl. Vitamin C Crystals.
Separate hair into parted sections and spray each section: let sit for 1/2 hour. Rinse in warm water. Oil hair very lightly. Wrap. For restoring acid mantle to scalp; sugar bond to hair, elasticity to hair. Do this following a protein treatment, hot oil treatment. For extremely damaged Hair Part of 3 week intensive
care. Use 1X weekly.
Some people use this as a wrap lotion spray, and gave some good reviews. Here is an example of one review: "Mahalialee you are a "hairsaver"!!!!!!!! I followed your instructions and made the Limolastic Liquid used after my PR/Olive Oils 30min/plastic cap under bonnet dryer. Let it sit for thirty minutes, rinsed w/warm water. I used my leave-in oil combo. When I started to detangle, I took my time on each section of hair......results.......maybe 5 hairs in the comb if that. Can you say excited???!!!!!!!!!!!! I did my roller set. Can you say "Awesome sheen, Soft Curls"?My husband loves it!!Thanks so much.P.S. I will do it for three weeks like your instructions say. Also, for some reason I didn't have to sit under the dryer as long tonight.
Brief update: Limolastic Liquid is ALL THAT and then some.
Thanks soooooooooo much." (Tsangeldog)

I am trusting that since it was from the same hair group site that it is okay to print that review. Bonjour.

Here is a favorite of mine:
Mahalialee's Mud Pie #1

1/4 cup pure cane sugar (pure sugar cane-from Health Store) do not substitute
1/4 cup black strap molasses
3 tbls. Lime juice
1/2 cup Hellman's or Organic Mayonnaise (health food store)
warm in micro wave (do not get hot, due to eggs in the mayonnaise)
Apply to damp hair, cover in plastic. 1 hour. For Extremely Damaged Hair.
Hope this helps.

Mahalialee4 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------copyrighted: It is on the Recipe Board under Search " Mahalialee molasses" Hope this helps. There is a lot of info on molasses on this LHCF under search

2 tbl pure cane sugar
Separate hair into parted sections and spray each section: let sit for 1/2 hour. Rinse in warm water. Oil hair very lightly. Wrap. For restoring acid mantle to scalp; sugar bond to hair, elasticity to hair. Do this following a protein treatment, hot oil treatment. For extremely damaged Hair Part of 3 week intensive
care. Use 1X weekly.
Some people use this as a wrap lotion spray, and gave some good reviews. Here is an example of one review: "Mahalialee you are a "hairsaver"!!!!!!!! I followed your instructions and made the Limolastic Liquid used after my PR/Olive Oils 30min/plastic cap under bonnet dryer. Let it sit for thirty minutes, rinsed w/warm water. I used my leave-in oil combo. When I started to detangle, I took my time on each section of hair......results.......maybe 5 hairs in the comb if that. Can you say excited???!!!!!!!!!!!! I did my roller set. Can you say "Awesome sheen, Soft Curls"?My husband loves it!!Thanks so much.P.S. I will do it for three weeks like your instructions say. Also, for some reason I didn't have to sit under the dryer as long tonight.

I am trusting that since it was from the same hair group site that it is okay to print that review. Bonjour.

Mahalialee's Mud Pie #1

3 tbls. Lime juice
Hope this helps.

Hey mahalialee...thanks for this wonderful recipe... i may definitely try it....

I love molasses in my pre-poo concoctions :) It does work similar to honey, but it also gives my hair a dark, lustrous glow too.

miss_brown said:
I love molasses in my pre-poo concoctions :) It does work similar to honey, but it also gives my hair a dark, lustrous glow too.
I noticed that I had some organic blackstrap molasses lying around so I added to my prepoo concoction. Maybe it will help to cover the one gray hair that Ive noticed at my crown which would be good because I was thinking of starting to color my hair. The one thing is that it runs like the dickens and is really messy. I transferred it from a plastic bowl to an applicator bottle and I think that I will be using that in the future.

Okay so I had to bump this because I have been real curious about molasses because we have some in our cabinet. My hair has been feelin something dry lately and I used heat (the curling iron):eek: This weekend for derby so I was in need of a protein and deep conditioning txtment. So I decided to try it and look it up at the same time. Im sure there are more post but this is the first I came across. Heres what is sitting in my head right now

4 tablespoons of molasses
EVOO
Bone marrow protein txtment
Honey

Im going to let it sit for 30-40 mins and see what comes of it. If anyone has used molasses in their hair please let me know the outcome and if you do it a lot. I will follow up after I wash it a little. Any responses will be great

No ma'am!!!!! :eek: Not The Kid anyway.

I used this molasses-based concoction that a Dominican girlfriend gave me..... her mom owns a salon and she said the clients (primarily AA) swear by this. She said it helps to make the hair thicker/growth/etc.

I put that stuff in my hair..... it made it so hard, crunchy, sticky, and gross. It was like doing an Aphogee treatment. I had to wash it out, and i only prayed i didnt lose too many strands.

Im not putting molasses in my hair ever again, mixed up in other ingredients or not. To me, it's nothing like honey. :ohwell: When i add honey to my DC, it makes my hair soft, shiny, and smell yummy. Molasses was bad news for me. :perplexed

sowhut said:
*Sorry to go O.T. but Kinikakes you look stunning in your siggy!

Aww, thanks, man!!!!! :D I just went on my staff boatride last night and took tons of pics. Im such a camera whore. :look:

KiniKakes said:
Aww, thanks, man!!!!! :D I just went on my staff boatride last night and took tons of pics. Im such a camera whore. :look:

Well as Tyra would say "the camera definitely loves you!"

ETA: Sorry to hijack OP.

Your are fine she does look great!!! I love that dress. Thanks for the tip!! I just washed my hair and it wasnt all that bad. I conditioned for 10min after just for moisture. But my hair didnt come out any different from any other time I prepoo. I heard it might help darken your hair a little. I like jet black, blue/black hair so if it does that thats a plus for me. That just goes to show that not everything works for everyone. Thanks for replying. :D

I will try a lot of things, but Im too scared to try this. After my JBCO incident I dont know about putting anything thicker in my hair.

I used to use molasses in hair treatments, when honey was lightening my hair. It didn't mix nearly as well with conditioner like honey does, and it was smelly which I wasn't too fond of. I mixed it in a few henna mixes too with no adverse effects. In the long run I didn't stick with using it.

What does adding the sugar do for the hair?

Mahalialee4 said:

2 tbl pure cane sugar
care. Use 1X weekly.

Mahalialee's Mud Pie #1

3 tbls. Lime juice
Hope this helps.

Back