Moisturizing Hair While in Havana Twists

I've been living in havana-esque twists for the last few months.

Any non protein spritz followed with oil to seal will do the trick.

Right now I'm using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine moisture mist and sealing with Hairveda Vatika Frosting, but when it runs out I'll use whatever I pull out the cabinet.

JustGROWwithIt

I'm natural so layering alot of protein products on my hair can lead to breakage, especially since I'm only washing my hair once a week. If I were relaxed I would alternate between moisturizing and protein (strengthening) products in the form of spritzes and still sealing with oil.

@JustGROWwithIt

I'm natural so layering alot of protein products on my hair can lead to breakage, especially since I'm only washing my hair once a week. If I were relaxed I would alternate between moisturizing and protein (strengthening) products in the form of spritzes and still sealing with oil.

Uh oh, I think I may be doing something wrong :look: I am natural too and just started adding more protein products to my hair to help maintain a proper moisture/protein balance. I hope this is not going to cause me problems!

IMHO, healthy natural hair doesn't need alot of protein. Too much protein can make the hair wiry, brittle and easy to snap.

For me the only time I regularly use protein products is immediately before and after using heat in my hair. Otherwise, it's every 3-6 months for protein treatments.

That said, there are no absolute right or wrong answers when it comes to your hair. If adding protein to your regimen improves your hair then great, but if you notice it changing for the worse then cut back.

HTH :)

As a PP said, use a spritz and seal with a light oil. Braid sprays usually have moisturizing ingredients in addition to light oils. But I would seal anyway, with something light of course, to prevent build up and ickyness

I've been living in havana-esque twists for the last few months.

Any non protein spritz followed with oil to seal will do the trick.

Right now I'm using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine moisture mist and sealing with Hairveda Vatika Frosting, but when it runs out I'll use whatever I pull out the cabinet.

Does the oil make it smell after a while?

I just put in individual braids. I made a braid spray of:

distilled water
glycerin
rosewater
tea tree & lavendar oils
castor oil

I would say 80% of distilled water, then a couple splashes of rosewater (for scent mostly), a few hearty squeezes of castor oil and glycerin, a few drops of the lavendar/tea tree mix.

I seal with Shea Mositure's Curl Milk when needed.

I use this on my scalp, too.

My hair feels great.

Back