Moisture Question: How do you keep your new growth moisturized to the fullest?

princessdi

I am 10 weeks post relaxer and am determined to go natural; however, I'm having trouble moisturizing my new growth and keeping it that way. For instance, I will wash and deep condition my hair and then moisturize with Sunsilk Hydra TLC leave-in (good stuff) and then seal with an oil and air dry. Once my hair is airdried, the new growth is very dry to the touch.:nono: Any suggestions for keeping the new growth moisturized and soft?:rolleyes: This is going to be the challenge for me as to whether I fail or succeed at going natural.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I spray the PM Awapuhi Moisture Mist on my NG everyday once I hit about 10 weeks, and that helps with the moisture.

What I just learned is after I rinse out my deep conditioner then apply hair lotion to my hair focusing on the new growth (i like restore & revive hair lotion by silk elements & UBH hair lotion by Cathy Howse) ans when it dries my new growth is nice and soft.

I use scurl (blue and white bottle) on the new growth only. Spray a thin layer of dove moisture mist over that and seal with any eo.

I'm a little over 13 wks and couldn't have made it this far w/out.

edit: I DC twice a week. This with the other products make a difference.

Last edited:
I am 10 weeks post relaxer and am determined to go natural; however, I'm having trouble moisturizing my new growth and keeping it that way. For instance, I will wash and deep condition my hair and then moisturize with Sunsilk Hydra TLC leave-in (good stuff) and then seal with an oil and air dry. Once my hair is airdried, the new growth is very dry to the touch.:nono: Any suggestions for keeping the new growth moisturized and soft?:rolleyes: This is going to be the challenge for me as to whether I fail or succeed at going natural.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you.
It could be a product you're using.. I use Profectiv Healthy Ends and it softens my new growth tremendously

I mix humectress and coconut oil and apply it to my newgrowth only. It softens it nicely. GF sleek and shine with cocunut oil works well too but I like the results from the humectress better.

Someone here, I honestly forgot who, uses an applicator brush to put conditioner on newgrowth before deep conditioning. I borrowed this idea and it works great. You are sure that NG is properly covered.

My ng is dry too. I have been using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine nightly on my ng; not the ends. It's ok, but I do love the smell of it. I've had it awhile and just never really used it. I have also been massaging oils on it.

I mix humectress and coconut oil and apply it to my newgrowth only. It softens it nicely. GF sleek and shine with cocunut oil works well too but I like the results from the humectress better.

Someone here, I honestly forgot who, uses an applicator brush to put conditioner on newgrowth before deep conditioning. I borrowed this idea and it works great. You are sure that NG is properly covered.

That would be me! I did that all last year. Now I don't know who/what gave me the idea but I love it.

SouthernTease does this, she wrote about it in her blog and posted photos.

I baggy at night. Since I started my transition (now 13 months in) I've never experienced dry NG. In fact, my relaxed ends always seem less moisturized to me.

The "dry" NG you have might be that scab hair folx talk about.

Back