Moisture, Protein, Moisture, Protein--I CAN'T TAKE IT!

Adaj

I feel like I am overwhelmed with information and I don't know what benefits my hair the most. How much protein should my hair get, how much moisture should it get? Co-washing is considered moisturizing, right? The big question for me is, how do I know if my hair is moisturized?:wallbash:

you're hair will tell you what it needs...if it's mushy feeling and breaking easily, then you need protein. If it's hard as a brick and dry, it needs moisture. Just listen to your hair & do what you think is best for it at that time.

Create a regimen review it for 2-3 weeks and then adjust it from there. Adjust it sooner if you notice negative issues.

Start with a simple regimen first.

I find that I don't really have to think about protein/moisture that much. I know my hair has a tendency to be dry. I knew that when I didn't know anything else about hair. So I started my journey off trying different moisturizers and moisturizing dcs that people with hair like mine recommended. I also tried a protein treatment and my hair hated it. I also discovered my hair hates coconut oil and shea butter so I stay away from those things. When I found a few things that worked for me I looked for other people who said those things worked for them too and looked at what was working for them. This way I discovered that my hair hates commercial straight protein products but likes some that are both (like ORS Replenishing) and natural proteins (like eggs and yogurt).

So what ended up working for my hair is mostly moisturizing dc's, using balanced conditioners (like V05 moisture milks) for cowashing and leave ins, and throwing in a natural protein treatment when me or my hair feels like it but I always use moisturizing things in those mixes. I also use protein gel every once and awhile. I think it is easier to keep my hair balanced this way than a moisture/protein schedule.

Last edited:
I don't even think about it. My hair doesn't respond to protein, so I just worry about moisture. I'm natural, so it's not like my hair is losing protein or anything.

I was overwhelmed too, not knowing the right products to use causes me to develop split ends which cause me some breakages.

The most important things for you to know is:

1) What is the texture of your hair (fine, med or coarse)?

2) Is your hair low, med or highly porous?

If your strands of hair is thin than you will need more protein. Thin strands of hair do not like a whole lot of moisture.

If your strands of hair is coarse than you will need a lot of moisture.

Here's an article you can read that will help you out.

The Curl Whisper said
"1) Pick the Right Product Ingredients
A common belief is that very tightly coiled hair that is naturally dry by nature needs to have a ton of very heavy conditioners applied to it. And that's great--IF that tight coil happens to contain hair strands that are coarse in texture. If those hair strands are fine, however, then overloading the hair with heavy moisturizers will lead to further issues.

Fine hair--which is quite common in tightly coiled hair--frequently seems dry when, in fact, it is easily over-moisturized. When I talk with any of my fine-haired clients about this, we inevitably share this "A-ha!" moment as they realize they've been feeding heavy moisturizers into hair that is often already over-moisturized. For any fine-haired girls with curls, regardless of wave pattern, products with a lot of heavy emollients are usually best avoided in favor of those with proteins.

Conversely, coarse hair naturally manufactures an overabundance of protein within the hair shaft on its own, so this is the type of hair that needs those heavy creams and butters and oils and emollients. Stay away from products with proteins, as putting protein on top of your already protein-heavy hair is likely to dry you out into a wicked, straw-like mess.

If you need more information go to www.livecurlylivefree.com, then go to the lefthand side and click on curly hair basic.

I hope this will help you out.

Mev

This way I doiscovered that my hair hates commercial straight protein products but likes some that are both (like ORS Replenishing) and naural proteins (like eggs and yogurt).

This is exactly what I've found out so I look for conditioners with the moisturizing description on it that happen to have protein in it (wheat, keratin or soy).

I also have no problems with mayo (ORS, Lustrasilk) conditioners.

I was overwhelmed too, not knowing the right products to use causes me to develop split ends which cause me some breakages.

If your strands of hair is thin than you will need more protein. Thin strands of hair do not like a whole lot of moisture.

The Curl Whisper said
A common belief is that very tightly coiled hair that is naturally dry by nature needs to have a ton of very heavy conditioners applied to it. And that's great--IF that tight coil happens to contain hair strands that are coarse in texture. If those hair strands are fine, however, then overloading the hair with heavy moisturizers will lead to further issues.

Fine hair--which is quite common in tightly coiled hair--frequently seems dry when, in fact, it is easily over-moisturized. When I talk with any of my fine-haired clients about this, we inevitably share this "A-ha!" moment as they realize they've been feeding heavy moisturizers into hair that is often already over-moisturized. For any fine-haired girls with curls, regardless of wave pattern, products with a lot of heavy emollients are usually best avoided in favor of those with proteins.

Conversely, coarse hair naturally manufactures an overabundance of protein within the hair shaft on its own, so this is the type of hair that needs those heavy creams and butters and oils and emollients. Stay away from products with proteins, as putting protein on top of your already protein-heavy hair is likely to dry you out into a wicked, straw-like mess.

If you need more information go to www.livecurlylivefree.com, then go to the lefthand side and click on curly hair basic.

Mev

Good advice. I wish I saw this last year when I put a lot of that protein mess in my coarse hair, big mistake. Protein overload!!

The Curl Whisper said

Mev

Thank you sooo much for your comment!!! :clap:I have such problems with breakage and read an article about fine hair, which i do have but don't know how to deal with it. My hair is very hard after using a low protein treatment even after doing a moist. dc. but I haven't tried homemade treatments Maybe they're better.

Back