Moisture Confusion

Seeking8Rights

I'm kind of confused about what really keeps natural hair moisturized and I need help. My experiences thus far:

Glycerin:
leaves a coating on my hair that my hair seems to not absorb by the end of day. I've used very "juice" you could buy and they all just "sit" on my hair.

Coconut oil: keeps my hair moisturized for about a day, then hair is bone dry. I have been using refined organic coconut oil. I like the way my hair feels initially, but don't like how dry it gets afterward.

Anything Carol's Daughter ending in milk, butter, mist: If i really want to start a fire on my head. This stuff is supposed to be natural, however, I find it's worse than glycerin.

Blue Magic Coconut: When I combine this with coconut oil my hair becomes soft, "feels" moisturized and silky, and has a shine to it. However, I can only get this effect if I add the combo right after I cowash.

I really like natural oils and love the idea of a creme that I could use on my hair and then seal with a heavy oil of some sort, but I just can't figure out what stuff to use (without going into debt during the process of finding the right product).

Right now I am 14 weeks post BC. Hair type 4a.

So what's a girl to do? Any recommendations...

Seems like our hair is a lot a like, glycerin/ juice as a moisturizer or leave in hasn't work too much for me. Coconut oil isn't my biggest fan either. I tried a few natural products, I think my hair needs cones my hair just did not feel like I wanted it too. You should really try out Herbal essence long term relationship as a leave in / moisturizer.

Seems like our hair is a lot a like, glycerin/ juice as a moisturizer or leave in hasn't work too much for me. Coconut oil isn't my biggest fan either. I tried a few natural products, I think my hair needs cones my hair just did not feel like I wanted it too. You should really try out Herbal essence long term relationship as a leave in / moisturizer.

I do have a few bottles of HE conditioner that I could try as a leave in.

Today, I went and picked up some Suave Conditioner (it was on sale for 5 cents), so I'll try both and see how my hair responds.

Right now it's about 3:30pm here in Germany and my hair feels very moisturized and soft even after washing it 6 hours ago and using my Blue Magic Coconut and refined coconut oil mixture.

Thanks for the tip and I'll post if I notice any improvements. :yep:

Add Qhemet products to the No list. They left my hair so sticky and gunky.
So what's a girl to do? Any recommendations...
Use coconut oil as a sealant, not by itself. I co-wash and then when my hair is still wet, I apply my leave-in and then apply coconut oil. The result is always beautifully soft, silky hair.

Look for products that list water as the first ingredient (eg. Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream & Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion & Darcy's Botanicals Curl Detangling Milk). There are several others, but those are the first ones that came to mind.

I have 4a and some 3c hair mixed and I do a couple of things:

1. I cowash with Knot Today and leave a little in after rinsing. Then I spray a little rosewater and vegetable glycerin mix on my hair. That leaves me pretty moisturized. OR
2. I cowash with Knot Today and leave a little in after rinsing. Then I put some avocado oil on and go. That also leaves me moisturized most of the day. OR
3. I cowash with Knot Today and just scrunch my hair using the Kinky Curly custard. That also leaves me moisturized for most of the day.

There is no real reason why I choose one routine over the other. It just depends on the mood I'm in that day. But nothing I do leaves me moisturized all day. So I usually refresh by spritzing a little water on my hair or by spritzing a little rosewater and vegetable glycerin mix.

Add Qhemet products to the No list. They left my hair so sticky and gunky.

Use coconut oil as a sealant, not by itself. I co-wash and then when my hair is still wet, I apply my leave-in and then apply coconut oil. The result is always beautifully soft, silky hair.

Ah, I'm not doing this which may be the problem. Sometimes, I add a leave in and sometimes I don't, but I haven't layered (moisture then seal).

Thanks.

I have 4a and some 3c hair mixed and I do a couple of things:

1. I cowash with Knot Today and leave a little in after rinsing. Then I spray a little rosewater and vegetable glycerin mix on my hair. That leaves me pretty moisturized. OR
2. I cowash with Knot Today and leave a little in after rinsing. Then I put some avocado oil on and go. That also leaves me moisturized most of the day. OR
3. I cowash with Knot Today and just scrunch my hair using the Kinky Curly custard. That also leaves me moisturized for most of the day.

There is no real reason why I choose one routine over the other. It just depends on the mood I'm in that day. But nothing I do leaves me moisturized all day. So I usually refresh by spritzing a little water on my hair or by spritzing a little rosewater and vegetable glycerin mix.

To the bolded - I'm thinking is that there is a difference between SCurl spray with glycerin and just plain glycerin. I have only used the "curl moisturizer" sprays that have glycerin as the 3rd or fourth ingredient.

hmmm...I may just buy some glycerin and rose water...

When I want like a pure moisture treatment what works for me is honey, acv and any oil but I like evoo or sunflower. The mixnis runny, sticky and messy but I love the results lol you could always mix ingredients with a cheap conditioner.

Glycerin-based products do the exact same thing to my hair as well. My recommendations would be:

000_41Y2zf7tTUL._SS500_.jpg

Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Leave-in
This has been my staple moisturizer for about 4 months, it works really well.

OR

2oz-Luscious.jpg

Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer
I ordered the sample size, this is Day 2 of using this product and this just might be my new staple. I am LOVING how it makes my hair feel, I don't think I'll even have to moisturize everyday. The ingredients are good too.

Ingredients: Distilled water, Avocado Seed Oil, Mango Seed Butter, Coconut Oil, Aloe Leaf Extract, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Emulsifying wax, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Vitamin E Tocopherol Oil & Fragrance (Island Mango).

Can be ordered from: http://beemineproducts.com

Back