Moisture Clarification

My Friend

I wanted some clairification on moisture and oil. I've read in many threads, where someone used oil on their hair, then stated it was "moisturizing'.

Does oil moisturize?

Is S-Curl, Care Free Cure, etc a oil (sealing), protein, or a moisturizer?

How can one determine if they hair is moisturize or oily, if they have used both kinds of products on their hair?

Thank you for your feedback.

care free curl and s curl are moisturizers, i use them both faithfully, the two oils that i am sure you can use as a moisturizer is coconut oil and avecado oil and they are great for sealing , so i have heard.
those oils work well for most women on this board.

cococut and avecado oil are the only two oils that i have heard of that actually penetrate the strands.

not so sure about olive oil.

Last edited:
I wonder that too! Like how can you tell your hair is really moisturized as opposed to just oily/shiny! Like I feel like sometimes I have had really shiny dry hair...

Yeah, people use these terms so interchangeably. It is confusing at times. I just play it safe and try to use a spray leave in that is moisturizing and then oils lightly too.

Alot of loc haired women use oils to moisturize so I wonder how that works out too. Although some oils can penetrate to the cortex I always use them in conjunction with things just in case.

This has been long debated. :lachen: The moisture and oil thing depends on who you ask and is really a matter of semantics if you ask me. :yep: :lol:

Though oil softens, nourishes, adds shine, etc-- Oil is not a "moisturizer." Moisturization, or hydration, is a property of water. But oil is very important as a support for hydration.

Oil can support the moisturization of the hair fiber by 1.) sealing moisture into the shaft and 2.) in some special cases- with oils that have protein affinity like coconut oil, by supporting the protein structure of the hair fiber. Coconut oil in particular has been found to prevent protein loss. This helps with moisturization b/c intact proteins reduce the hair's porosity. Coconut oil is one of those rare oils that can bind to protein, but it does not itself impart any sort of hydration to the hair fiber- penetrating or not. All oils are hydrophobic-- meaning they work by repelling water at the end of the day. Coconut's ability to hold onto those proteins and repel water at the same time makes it really, really useful for preventing natural washing stress to the hair fiber. And its my favorite oil if you can't tell so I could go on and on about the benefits of this stuff. :lachen:

S-Curl, Care Free Cure are moisturizing products. But if I'm not mistaken they tend to be cone-heavy, and cones can act like shaft-coating oils. So too much of them can work against you if you don't clarify regularly.

Hydrated hair has a natural sheen to it. It also has a nice, weight to it. It is strong, yet soft-- and is relatively free from breakage. It's different from artificial shine which tends to be a temporary high gloss, coated kind of feel that wears off. The best moisturization/hydration hands down comes from regular deep conditioning w/ a balance of protein and moisture. There isn't a moisturizing product or oil product on the planet that can replace this in my opinion!

Moisture=hydration=water. So any moisturizer that doesn't contain a high level of water, won't work.

Oil=sealant. The sealing part is easy(to me). Serums are a great sealant too.

Water needs to be the 1st or second ingredient in a moisturizer. Oils/serums seal the water in.

Water and Oil don't mix. Add the water(moisture) first; then seal it with oil. In that order--sealing dry hair, keeps the hair dry. Sealing moisturized hair, keeps the hair hydrated.

That is the simplified explanation--other factors such as porosity, hair damage and texture have an influence but that is the basic principle.

care free curl and s curl are moisturizers, i use them both faithfully, the two oils that i am sure you can use as a moisturizer is coconut oil and avecado oil and they are great for sealing , so i have heard.
those oils work well for most women on this board.

cococut and avecado oil are the only two oils that i have heard of that actually penetrate the strands.

not so sure about olive oil.

I love your hair.

This has been long debated. :lachen: The moisture and oil thing depends on who you ask and is really a matter of semantics if you ask me. :yep: :lol:

Though oil softens, nourishes, adds shine, etc-- Oil is not a "moisturizer." Moisturization, or hydration, is a property of water. But oil is very important as a support for hydration.

Oil can support the moisturization of the hair fiber by 1.) sealing moisture into the shaft and 2.) in some special cases- with oils that have protein affinity like coconut oil, by supporting the protein structure of the hair fiber. Coconut oil in particular has been found to prevent protein loss. This helps with moisturization b/c intact proteins reduce the hair's porosity. Coconut oil is one of those rare oils that can bind to protein, but it does not itself impart any sort of hydration to the hair fiber- penetrating or not. All oils are hydrophobic-- meaning they work by repelling water at the end of the day. Coconut's ability to hold onto those proteins and repel water at the same time makes it really, really useful for preventing natural washing stress to the hair fiber. And its my favorite oil if you can't tell so I could go on and on about the benefits of this stuff. :lachen:

S-Curl, Care Free Cure are moisturizing products. But if I'm not mistaken they tend to be cone-heavy, and cones can act like shaft-coating oils. So too much of them can work against you if you don't clarify regularly.

Hydrated hair has a natural sheen to it. It also has a nice, weight to it. It is strong, yet soft-- and is relatively free from breakage. It's different from artificial shine which tends to be a temporary high gloss, coated kind of feel that wears off. The best moisturization/hydration hands down comes from regular deep conditioning w/ a balance of protein and moisture. There isn't a moisturizing product or oil product on the planet that can replace this in my opinion!

Welcome Back:trampolin

Thank you for helping me to understand the difference.

Too much hydration will break your hair off IF you have kinky, dry feeling hair to begin with. Ironic? not really, this is the main reason 4bz's have a hair time retaining growth. Over moisturize, saturate DC's.

Back