mizani vs affirm - your experience

girlcherokee

hey ladies,
i am thinking seriously about switching from silk elements to either mizani butter blend or affirm - has anyone used both? can you share the difference between them? i am always afraid to switch but i have suffered some breakage so i think i really need to switch relaxers with my next touch up which i will need to do in a few weeks.

I can only speak of affirm, the fiber guard brand and I have had nothing but good experiences with it. My hair can only tolerate lye, and IMO its better for the hair. All others have left my hair wayyy over processed. HTH

i've used mizani butter blend before and i loved it. it left my hair softer and it also seems to be milder. i just wish i could find a salon around here that uses mizani butter blend. i have never tried affirm.

Never used Mizani relaxer, but when I was using Affirm Fiberguard my hair was in great shape. My hair in my avatar is results from using Affirm Fiberguard. Fiberguard doesn't get your hair bone straight so a few years ago I switch relaxers for straighter hair and my hair keep breaking constantly. I am in the weave challenge for 12 months, I am not perming my hair until Jan 2011 and I will be using Affirm Fiberguard.

Affirm made my hair too straight. My hair did much better with Mizani for fine hair. My mom has used Affirm for years though with no problem.

I've used both, and think i have to side with Affirm.

The Mizani perms I've had seemed to process really slowly, resulting in either underprocessed hair or scalp burns w/ straight hair.

I agree that Affirm can get your hair too straight, but now that I stretch 10-12 weeks and I'm cognizant of overlapping and poor application techniques, I don't see it posing any problems.

On an off topic: I got my last retouch at the Aveda School. $37 for a retouch with Affirm. Instructors are all around and approve every step of the process. I know most LHCFer's wouldn't dare take that risk, but my experience was great!

I had Mizani relaxers for years and my hair was soft, moisturized and low maintenance. Then my stylist switched to Affirm Fiberguard and my problems began, dry underprocessed breaking mess. I recently switched to a stylist who uses Affirm no lye and its better but still nothing like my beloved Mizani. I'm going to ask her to use Mizani on me next time.

BTW - I have fine hair, 4b

I have used both. I think Affirm is better because it doesn't really get the hair too straight. But then again I like texlaxed hair.

This time I tried Design Essentials Lo-Lye and liked it. It is hard to find salons that use it though. I am going to the website to find out.

Thank ladies for your responses!!!
ok so
affirm fiber guard = results not too straight
mizani butter blend = can get very straight but processes slower
regular affirm = very straight but processes faster
i burn pretty easily so i need something that will get the job done quickly without burning the dickens out of my scalp - i switched to lye last year and really like my hair better and havent noticed that i am burning more with lye relaxers so i def want to stick with lye - its just a matter of which - my hair is fine 4aish i think.
i'd appreciate more responses and experiences.

Thanks for this thread. I have only used Mizani Butter Blends (fine/colour treated), and I would agree with the processing slowly assessment. I was thinking about switching to Affirm Fiberguard when I run out of Mizani. Is Fiberguard less expensive?

I've never used Affirm. Last year I switched from:Botanicals Soft & Beautiful to Mizani Butter Blends and I love it! I don't experience any burning and it seems to work faster than my last relaxer. My daugh. applies my touchups...(she's my personal stylist). She was so impressed with the way my hair turned out, she's switched to Mizani.

Back