Mixing Shampoo with oil?

Neith

Lately my hair is just not liking my shampoo (neutrogena triple moisture - weak sulfate based) as much as it used to. I think it's at least partially because I have been wearing twists a lot.

I want something that is more potent than a co wash, but even more gentle than the NTM shampoo.

I was thinking of diluting it with some water, but also adding a little oil or even conditioner to it to help give my hair the much needed slip.

Does anyone mix their shampoo like this?

Yes, I have. I did it with my Organix. I added shea butter and sweet almond oil directly the bottle. However, if you want my honest opinion, adding oils will rarely help a crappy shampoo. For instance, my hair is not fond of Vo5 shampoos and no matter how much oil I add, its style very drying. I suggest you switch shampoos. If you're looking for a good one that is free of sulfates, Phytospecific and Back to Basics makes great shampoos. I personally am obsessed with Oscar Blandi. Organix are great too.

Yes, I have. I did it with my Organix. I added shea butter and sweet almond oil directly the bottle. However, if you want my honest opinion, adding oils will rarely help a crappy shampoo. For instance, my hair is not fond of Vo5 shampoos and no matter how much oil I add, its style very drying. I suggest you switch shampoos. If you're looking for a good one that is free of sulfates, Phytospecific and Back to Basics makes great shampoos. I personally am obsessed with Oscar Blandi. Organix are great too.

Thanks for your insights.

I don't believe that the shampoo is crappy. It's a good product that has been raved about here and has done me well... until recently when I started getting my hair tangly by wearing small twists. It doesnt have sls or als.

Plus I have like 3 bottles, lol. It's good stuff, but I've never actually let my hair get this tangled before and Im not used to working with it like that. This shampoo never left my hair dry or tangled before. I think the oil will do the trick. And next time I will detangle before washing.

Last edited:
Lately my hair is just not liking my shampoo (neutrogena triple moisture - weak sulfate based) as much as it used to. I think it's at least partially because I have been wearing twists a lot.

I want something that is more potent than a co wash, but even more gentle than the NTM shampoo.

I was thinking of diluting it with some water, but also adding a little oil or even conditioner to it to help give my hair the much needed slip.

Does anyone mix their shampoo like this?

I've mixed my shampoo with some castor oil before. It worked pretty well. Try using some castor oil with Creme of Nature shampoo. The one with the red label. If you don't want to mix shampoo then try Aubrey Organic shampoo.

I add a capful of olive oil to Suave Professionals shampoo. It works just fine. It still lathered up well, and removed all the build up from my hair. I was surprised.

I'm thinking about adding a couple drops of Neem oil to my shampoo mix..I've already added peppermint and tea tree. If you think the oil might affect the shampoo why not do a pre-poo with oil, then shampoo and rinse both out at the same time?

I personally, would be afraid of mold developing due to reactions of the water, oil, and other ingredients in the shampoo as it sat in my shower for a month. The mold that develops in shampoos tends to make people go blind.

I'm just a scaredy-cat that way, I suppose. :lachen:

I personally, would be afraid of mold developing due to reactions of the water, oil, and other ingredients in the shampoo as it sat in my shower for a month. The mold that develops in shampoos tends to make people go blind.

Really?:perplexed Where did you find this out?

I've mixed my shampoo with some castor oil before. It worked pretty well. Try using some castor oil with Creme of Nature shampoo. The one with the red label. If you don't want to mix shampoo then try Aubrey Organic shampoo.

Cool. I don't like con poo though. I think Im allergic to somethng in it.

AO shampoos are okay, but even though they are sulfate free they are pretty potent imo... lots of people report dryness with it, even though I didnt have any dryness it felt like a sulfate based shampoo in my hair.

I'm thinking about adding a couple drops of Neem oil to my shampoo mix..I've already added peppermint and tea tree. If you think the oil might affect the shampoo why not do a pre-poo with oil, then shampoo and rinse both out at the same time?

Good idea! I do hot oil treatments, but I didn't last time because I did a protein treatment. I probably should have, I knew my hair was tangled before I even started.

Poookie, I always mean to try the castille soap, just havent gotten around to it.

I'm not mixing oil into the actual bottle. Im mixing it up in a different bottle... just enough for one use each time I shampoo.

Also, shampoos are formulated to have strong preservatives because the companies EXPECT water to get into it. I dont thuink it's probable that youre going to go blind from shampoo mold, lol... even though I agree that it's not the best idea to let the bottle get contaminated.

I actually tried this about 3 weeks ago and I loved it. I just poured some poo in my hand and then added the oil and rubbed together and applied to my hair. I just loved it. I used Aphogee EFA Concentrate(discontinued) and I love this. I wish I would have tried it sooner.

Back