Mixing hair color

marie

I purchased two colors from the Beautiful Browns collections(Medium warm brown & Honey brown). Medium warm brown is a little dark & Honey brown is too light. I thought about mixing them to get a good color. Has anyone ever done this? What was the outcome?

I never mixed colors before, and I wouldn't advise anyone to mix 2 different hair colors together :nono:. There are a vast amount of hair colors for a reason - so you can pick the specific one you want, not mix and match them like paint colors. The worse thing I would wanna hear is that you mixed them and your hair broke off something serious because of a chemical reaction between the two different colors.

:look:

Back when I was using chemical dyes, I never went with the 'box' color. Mind you, I was using the Feria Professional line (from Sally's) where you buy the color and the developer separately. Since I always needed at least two containers of color, I just always made sure that the two colors I was combining used the same developer level, and I ran with it. Never had a problem.

I don't know if it would work the same with the preboxed ones - esp. if they are premixed. If you aren't certain about the developer levels in each one, I would combine a tiny amount of the two, and do a strand test.

Good luck!

Ahh. I really don't have any idea of how that would work then - I've never used semi-perms.

I'd definitely suggest a strand test, and see. :ohwell:

I have mixed a red and a black together when I used semi-perm colors like Jazzing and Adore (but always the same brand)...the blacks are usually blue based and because I used to have blonde highlights my hair would turn green. The red based dye mixed with black keeps that from happening.

I've never mixed browns...I would think that the darker brown would cancel the lighter brown out...I don't think it will create a mid shade.

I know that hair stylist mix colors all the time to get custom colors. So I am sure it can be done. Maybe there is a stylist on the board who can answer this for you. I remember there was someone on this board who mixed her colors all the time, I'm trying to remember her name. She use to mix her permanent color, I'm not sure you can mix rinses.

Last edited:
This may be a no-no, but I've mixed two vegetable-based permanants (Nutritint) together with no problems.

When I was coloring I'd mix all the time. As long as it's the same brand it shouldn't have any sort of issues. Pre-boxed or professional products from the actual salon stores. But I was very reckless :)

Back