Miss Jessie's - no more appts for 3+ months!

PocaNJ

I had an appt scheduled for the end of this week at Miss Jessies in Brooklyn (I had to book the appt 3 months in advance). I just received this evening from Titi (one of the owners) stating that they were cancelling all appts for the next 3+ months!!!:confused: :eek:

She said that it was very unfortunate and that they had to take care of staffing issues and some other things (?). She also stated something about them finding another location.:perplexed

I am sooooo depressed because I was really looking forward to going there.:(

Does anyone have any additional information regarding this???

hold up....first they do the previously unheard of BOGOF sale "to clear inventory" and now they are cancelling $100+ appointments for months. not weeks?

Shooooot.... I ain't got no inside info, but it sounds like curly puddin is about to be a collectors item.

JCoily said:
hold up....first they do the previously unheard of BOGOF sale "to clear inventory" and now they are cancelling $100+ appointments for months. not weeks?

Shooooot.... I ain't got no inside info, but it sounds like curly puddin is about to be a collectors item.

:lachen: :lol: :lachen: I have no info. either but I had to laugh at that. Let's hope not for all the angle/balance method and curly crack addicts out there.

Poca1229 said:
I had an appt scheduled for the end of this week at Miss Jessies in Brooklyn (I had to book the appt 3 months in advance). I just received this evening from Titi (one of the owners) stating that they were cancelling all appts for the next 3+ months!!!:confused: :eek:

She said that it was very unfortunate and that they had to take care of staffing issues and some other things (?). She also stated something about them finding another location.:perplexed

I am sooooo depressed because I was really looking forward to going there.:(

Does anyone have any additional information regarding this???

why do you call it Miss Jessies? Isnt it Curve Salon? Because truth be told, the word is out of the street about the sisters who own the joint and their past doings with hair. It aint good...:lol:

jengrady said:
why do you call it Miss Jessies? Isnt it Curve Salon? Because truth be told, the word is out of the street about the sisters who own the joint and their past doings with hair. It aint good...:lol:

:confused: What'd you mean?

keluric said:
:confused: What'd you mean?

I notice people are calling the salon Miss Jessie's isn't the name of the salon Curve? I know people may be calling it that because of the name of the products. Also...the sisters used to do hair before their Curve incarnation and apparently they damaged several people's hair to the point where years later this people are STILL talking about it....

They officially changed the name from Curve Salon to Miss Jessies, like their products, earlier this year.

Cheleigh said:
They officially changed the name from Curve Salon to Miss Jessies, like their products, earlier this year.

I just would like to mention, the name change may not be a good thing. From what I understand these girls may have been sued over some hair gone wrong before...

jengrady said:
I just would like to mention, the name change may not be a good thing. From what I understand these girls may have been sued over some hair gone wrong before...

Yeah, its my understanding that they were sued more than once for doing hair (or should I say NOT doing hair). Could be the law suit monster is rearing its head again. I hear they made a few ladies lose their hair back in the day.

Hmmm, I was just about to call too to book my apt for my next cut :( I'll let ya'll know if I hear anything.

wow thats sad. maybe they ruined hair in the past but i've heard nothing but good reports abut miss jessies ....except for the prices of course

oh boy that is too bad...but i think this would turn me off completely from going to them...with them cancelling all appointments for the next 3+months and then plus with their past...especially if a person has worked so hard to have that beautiful hair and then ended up damaging and making people lose their hair in the day...

Yeah.....I now feel that this 'news' about the salon canceling appts is just a sign for me to go elsewhere to get a texturizer....I guess Miss Jessie's is not for me......(or anyone for the next 3+ months! :lol: ).

Ok, here's the official deal:)

They are moving locations and renovating the new spot. They will be open again in March and will start taking appointments March 1st.

I just got my Bogo items from the UPS today. :) Oh well ya'll know the hair business has its ups and downs. They could have changed the name due to many reasons.:look: Many salons and stylist have been sued and/or screwed up a head or two.

i wish them all the best but SOMETHING JUST DOESNT SEEM RIGHT...

1- YOUR SELLING YOUR PRODUCTS THAT ARE NORMALLY EXPENSIVE AT A DISCOUNT

2- YOU ARE CANECELLING APPTS.

3- YOU ARE MOVING SALONS

4- YOUR HAVE SUDDENLY CHANGED THE NAME...

now if you are moving to another location wouldnt you have given your customers advance notice and not even booked the appoinments in the first place so you wouldnt have to later cancel them...

something just doesnt seem right.. in all honesty with all the money they charge i would think that they would def have their ish together-- on point whatever you wanna call it...

I thought maybe the name change was do the the gym that goes by Curves also.

They renamed it after their grandmother or family member.

But with the cancellations and sales, maybe something bad happened under that old name and they are making a new start in a new building and location.

Folks may never know. I have never visited because of the prices though. They have a very nice website with good pictures. I wonder if it is still up and running.

We can come up with 50 million scenarios and conspiracy theories, lol.

As far as the moving, they've been talking about wanting to for a while to a bigger spot. I don't know the situation with them coming across the new location, it could have an opportunity that presented itself where they had to take action immediately to take advantage, leading them to cancel apts that they had booked previously not knowing they would possibly move in the near future.

If they are shutting down for 3 or more months, they possibly may have just wanted to get rid of as much inventory as possible being that they would not have their salon open and didn't want products aging and sitting on the shelves. They could be changing their packaging for the new year...it also could be a marketing ploy to get people to try out their products and interest in possibly making a visit to the new salon when it re-opens.

Name change could have just been a name and product distinguishing factor. I don't know how many people I know that have said "I've seen Curves" when I mention the salon, but what they've seen was the womans gym.

I think we all can make up all types of scenarios and conspiracy theories going in both directions, lol. Whatever the reasons are, just use your judgement to make the decision you feel best for yourself. I personally have been a client for over a year and a half, and know others who have been clients longer who are happy with the service they've been provide with and haven't experienced any problems in dealing with them.

Too bad they had to cancel appointments, though. I would be messed up if I got a hair appointment cancelled at the last min. Give me 2 weeks or so to make other plans! oh well, they have to do what's best for them.

I've only heard good things about them, and they've had so many write-ups in national magazines, so I hope things work out. But you would hope that with the amount of money they charge, their business model would be more on point from a customer service point of view...

Don't customers have to pay a deposit fee anyway for making an appointment? I know that those fees are non-refundable, but I would hope that Miss Jessie's refunded the people their money since THEY are the ones that cancelled appointments, not the customer.

Weighing the reviews of customers, I would have to say no.

I guess the OP can answer the question: Did they refund the deposit?

I agree the price is the simple law of supply and demand.

Last edited:
Wow...that is kinda messed up, you should get your deposit and a little discount on your next appt. I wonder what this means for the employees....i'd be ill if my job sent me home for three months with no pay.

Back