Miss Jessies curl bar in NYC

yaya looks fab. if I could afford it, I would pay $100 for a flat iron if there was a 100% guarantee of zero heat damage and my hair would fully revert back

toinette, how much does a flat iron cost in NYC? I've never spent more than 60 dollars for a flat iron here in Southern Cali.

I've never gotten my hair flat ironed before at a salon but here in NYC if you go to the dominicans for a roller set and blow out , it'll cost you $40 at most. The dominican salon near my house said they would charge me $35 for a roller set and blowout on my natural hair. I cant imagine going for a flat iron option to be much more expensive at all. Certainly no where near $100

I've heard about the dominican salons :nono::lol:. I just had to ask about the flat iron because I can't imagine paying that much for one.

I've never gotten my hair flat ironed before at a salon but here in NYC if you go to the dominicans for a roller set and blow out , it'll cost you $40 at most. The dominican salon near my house said they would charge me $35 for a roller set and blowout on my natural hair. I cant imagine going for a flat iron option to be much more expensive at all. Certainly no where near $100

I'm sorry but I think it's pathetic how everyone is trying to profit off of Black hair. These prices are ridiculous. To be charged $100 for a wash and go is just crazy. I wish that more black women would learn to do their own hair instead of being overcharged for hair services.

I didn't think the prices were horrible and I'm cheap. I'd go for a haircut, only because I know how tough it is to find someone to cuts curly hair well.

toinette said:
yaya looks fab. if I could afford it, I would pay $100 for a flat iron if there was a 100% guarantee of zero heat damage and my hair would fully revert back

No one can truly guarantee that.

Last edited:
I'm not really shocked at the prices, they're pretty much on trend for most mid-high end salons in the city. What makes me laugh are the prices for the actual style. How you gonna charge someone $100 for doing twists on their head AND $50 for running some conditioner through their hair, scrunching, probably hitting it with a diffuser and then telling them to bounce?

Why couldn't the wet or dry two strand twists be $75? Is it really up there with a rollerset and blow out? Either way when I'm up there this summer I won't be stopping by. A salon is a salon is a salon and they might have the type F girl working in there so no thanks.

Imagine there are people out there paying these prices because they have no clue how to style their own hair.

Glad I'm able to save myself $100 every weekend.

and that it was self cleaning or dirt repelling

I would go just one time to get the true technique down to shingling never to return again.

I have my issues with shingling... isnt it just glorified finger/comb coils?

I'd have to be in a different tax bracket to pay high prices for little services. In my relaxed days the most i paid was maybe 90 and that came with a relaxer, precision cut, deep conditioning treatment and style

westNDNbeauty said:
Imagine there are people out there paying these prices because they have no clue how to style their own hair.

Glad I'm able to save myself $100 every weekend.

I also imagine they are also profitting the newly natural, transitioning or wanna be natural crowd who have not done their homework or just looked on YouTube.

I also imagine they are also profitting the newly natural, transitioning or wanna be natural crowd who have not done their homework or just looked on YouTube.

I agree because those youtubers and you all hair board ladies are my hair heros. I have learned soooooooooooooooooo much for free or close to free lol. AND I think overall us "ameteurs" do a much better job overal of both styling and maintaining health.

I love supporting Black owned businesses so I when I found out about Miss Jessies I was like okay, let me support my sistas. Puhlease. When I saw the prices for their products I was like ummmm, no. Then I saw the petroleum and I was like okay, they're just taking advantage. The prices on the curl bar are ridiculous. I wish I would pay more for a flatiron than I would for a touch up on a relaxer!

*shrugs* all natural/curly hair salons are overpriced. These prices are low compared to DevaChan and others.

There are plenty of people who can afford it and are willing to pay. They are catering to the busy, well-paid professional. I live in TX, but I have two friends who are corporate attorneys in NYC who have gone to CurlBar. It's well worth the $100 to be in and out and back to work or home to rest, instead of standing in front of the mirror for hours.

Not everyone is interested in being a DIYer...

I guess I just can't see how it works out. The same time you spend in the salon is the same time you would spend sitting down to twist your own hair only with $100 in your pocket.

*shrugs* all natural/curly hair salons are overpriced. These prices are low compared to DevaChan and others.

There are plenty of people who can afford it and are willing to pay. They are catering to the busy, well-paid professional. I live in TX, but I have two friends who are corporate attorneys in NYC who have gone to CurlBar. It's well worth the $100 to be in and out and back to work or home to rest, instead of standing in front of the mirror for hours.

Not everyone is interested in being a DIYer...

Not everyone is a DIYer..but the question is it worth this much $$$ for a flat iron or a wash and set? Hinestly for a good twist out like Yaya's I might break down and pay $100 but I'd need to see more of their work on type 4 hair

Why couldn't the wet or dry two strand twists be $75? Is it really up there with a rollerset and blow out? Either way when I'm up there this summer I won't be stopping by. A salon is a salon is a salon and they might have the type F girl working in there so no thanks.

IMHO not true. I've gone to high end salons and not so high end and there is absolutely positively a difference.

What's a type F girl?

It's not black salons trying to get over on black hair :nono:

It's salons trying to run a business. Here is a price list for a white salon in NYC

Braiding 1-2 braids$45
Shampoo & Braiding$65
Shampoo, Blow Dry & Braidingfrom $125
Braiding (with Clip-In Extensions)from $100

Conditioning treatments (Deep conditioner)
Shu Uemura Mask$15
Essential Cleansing Ceremony$50
Infusion Hair Beautifying Ceremony$75
Ultimate Shu Uemura Ceremony (includes blow dry)$150

Eyebrow Tweezing and Waxingfrom $65

I'm sorry but I think it's pathetic how everyone is trying to profit off of Black hair. These prices are ridiculous. To be charged $100 for a wash and go is just crazy. I wish that more black women would learn to do their own hair instead of being overcharged for hair services.

Asians have been doing this for years and no one blinked an eye :nono:

Miss Jessies products are garbage. Anybody who puts petroleum in a product and charges $50 is taking advantage. If they want to charge me $100 to do my hair and put some grease in it, they obviously are not going to take care of my hair in the long run. And I have no problem paying anyone who's going to take good care of my hair. Miss Jessies are not the ones to go to for that.

I used to go to phytouniverse in midtown manhattan and those prices....lets not even talk about it. this miss jessies looks resonable to me considering i've seen ladies who have left the place looking AMAZING. Maybe i'd schedule an appt for a special occasion, but I am trying to learn to do my own hair, that's part of this journey for me. So while I couldn't see myself going there every week, I might try it one time. I am sure these are time consuming processes, getting hair extensions are about $100 too. You are paying for the stylists time and a portion of the rent. It's all supply and demand. I am sure they could charge even more in a location where there are NO natural salons. When I lived in SoCal it wasn't uncommon to see box braids for $200. Supply and demand.

Back