Minimizing Hair Color Breakage--Suggestions Please

Scasey

Okay, I can't take it anymore I have gone for about 5 years with out color and it's time for me to become a color girl again. I plan on getting highlights somewhere in the honey blond family.

Could someone please help me with ways to minimize breakage?

Thanks a bunch!

Moisture, moisture, moisture. And a dab of protein for strength. Because the hair is already weak because of the color, lay off of the direct heat (blowdryers, curling irons, flat irons)

I never colored my hair before but from what I have heard deep conditioning is a must when you color your hair. and like someone said moisture is very important too. can't stress that enough.
While we are on the topic. I heard that you can't use a rinse if you want to get a lighter color. Is this true?

locabouthair said:
I never colored my hair before but from what I have heard deep conditioning is a must when you color your hair. and like someone said moisture is very important too. can't stress that enough.
While we are on the topic. I heard that you can't use a rinse if you want to get a lighter color. Is this true?

You are absoulutely right, you can not go lighter with a rinse.

Thank you ladies for the advice.

Will a rinse or a semi perm damage your hair?

I thought that it only coats the outside of the hair shaft.... which seems pretty gentle to me.

I know that permanent colors/bleach causes some damage.

I heard that rinses and semi permanent colors don't damage the hair. Dyes can because they contain ammonia and peroxide. I have heard of some people who have had damage from dyes and bleaches.But I also hear about people who have used dyes or bleach and their hair is ok with it. I guess it's just a matter of TLC.
Another question: Can naturals use rinses because my hairdresser said I couldn't because I don't have a perm.

Back