Mineral oil in a haircare product

cafe au lait

What are the dangers of mineral oils in a product? I think I have read a post or two that were against a product with mineral oil. The reason I am asking is that I read the ingredients on my mizani H20 intense night time treatment and it contained mineral oil. should I throw it out? thank you all so much. I love the support and advice I am getting from here. y'all have a good day now.

if it works for you..keep the product

its not really a danger...just that mineral oil/petroleum clog the hair follicles slowing growth, and they kind of make a barrier preveting moisture from getting in

weaveitup said:

its not really a danger...just that mineral oil/petroleum clog the hair follicles slowing growth, and they kind of make a barrier preveting moisture from getting in

In that case it will have to go as it defeats my purpose of growing my hair.
Thanks for the info

Yeah, I try to avoid mineral oil/petroleum as much as possible. In the past I have found those ingredients made my hair more dried out in the long run.

weaveitup said:

That would only happen if you applied the product tpo the scalp though, right?

I usually avoid mineral oil like the plague, but last night I did a conditioner wash and on a whim, used a sample packet of the Keracare leave-in that has mineral oil in it. I did the scarf method and I man, when I took that thing off, I had BLING like you wouldn't believe! I know it's bad, but I'm in L:love: VE with my shiny hair right now. Talk me down off the ledge.

It's also not good for your skin. It actually dries it. I learned this from my book on natural living. I use a mixture of almond oil for my skin.

What about Hot Six oil? Is this like mineral oil? I've heard that the oils that are liquid at room temp are better for your hair than the oils or greases that are firmer or gooey at room temp.

Is there anyone who can confirm or disconfirm this?

I don't recall if Hot Six had any mineral oil in it or not. You can check the label.

Mineral oil does come in a liquid form though. The goopy greasy stuff your referring to is Petrolatum or vaseline as we like to call it. LOL

luvSLave said:
That would only happen if you applied the product tpo the scalp though, right? .
I've never understood why people say this. If you apply a product to your hair, it will eventually get on your scalp unless you apply it to the very, very ends of your hair. Look at this scenario, apply it to your hair and then put your hair in a bun, your hair will lay against your scalp and it will the products on it will get on your scalp.

I find that mineral oil is drying even on my ends. When I used the amla lite -- which is probably mostly mineral oil -- my hair dried out something fierce. The Mizani H20 crap made my hair greasy and dry.

Back