milstan Feather Flat Iron

In the second video, did he really say "The is the thinnest iron that's ever been made, so it gets to the root of the PROBLEM."?
Sorry that irked me. The hair looks amazing afterward but no ceramic, no heat control, just pure, hot IRON? My hair would be permanently "thermally relaxed".

*Sigh*

Bumping ...

Reviews anyone??

The old fashioned tools appeal to me because I was brought up around them and my mother was very skilled with them. On the other hand I never learned to use them myself and I would never try to without training. The old fashioned tools are not like the modern ones where any amateur and even a child can pick them up and figure them out in short order - if you don't know how to use them you can really do some damage to yourself or to someone else - and not just to hair.

Has anyone been to a stylist who uses Milstan tools AND knows what s/he's doing??

I don't know of anyone that has used it, professional or consumer. I bought it last year and was told by Stan Nash (creator) that he has webinars and that I could see a hands on demonstration that way. Well that never materialized. He will be in town next week holding a workshop for professionals on the feather flat iron. I'm going to attend so I can finally get a comfort level with it.

I've never used it on my whole head. When I first got it, I tested it on my edges but it was kind of awkward. I think there is definitely a learning curve because you can't hold it like an electric flat iron and you definitely can't curl your hair with it either. Also, I find the unknown temperature when using a stove iron more than a bit intimidating. I'll eventually get over it but I was really rubbed the wrong way by his empty promises. I don't need someone to hold my hand but I expected to learn technique from the webinar and in the end it was BS. I suspect its a great product and Mr. Nash has good intentions but the follow through was very poor. :ohwell:

I remember when I ordered this back in July of 08 and I waited like three-four weeks (it was almost a month from the day I purchased it) and still didn't get the product. He did refund my money back but never again will I purchase from him (though it's tempting but eh, a flat iron is good enough for me). Matter of fact, I took the money and purchased a flat iron, the Hai convertible.

@SVT did you ever receive your feather flat?

Yeah. :perplexed I finally received it. :perplexed It was aight. :perplexed

The customer service experience was such a letdown that I really had no great expectations of the product. True enough, the iron did not wow me.

I still use my Solia and sometimes my hot comb. :yep:

I had completely forgotten about this thread. I did attend a workshop for professionals when the creator came to town. It was helpful so I will provide additional feedback.

I can honestly say that most criticism of the iron is unwarranted. The customer service is bad but the tool is solid. I think people would have the same complaints with any marcel iron or non electric flat iron for that matter. The learning curve is steep for knowing the stove iron heat range and handling the iron. Because trial and error means there is a likelihood of burning some hair, its hard to fully embrace the process and get through it to ultimately get good results. We're inclined to think that ceramic flat irons are better because we all "know" how to use them but I honestly know only a handful of people that get professional results. Everyone else has just enough technique to curl the hair and get it semi straight. (I say semi straight because they aren't getting edges and roots straight but do a good enough job to be presentable and have healthy, clean hair.)

The iron isn't designed to curl the hair so don't expect that at all. It won't happen. Its too thin to get that result no matter how much you manipulate it. It does get extremely close to the scalp so it can do everything that it promises. The real issue is the learning curve. I went to the workshop for professionals and saw demonstrations and even had someone demonstrate on my natural hair but its something you have to do repeatedly to get the hang of it and have a real comfort level with it. If I were already using a pressing comb on a stove then I'd be more than half way there but it was too much to commit to at that time. It already takes more than 2 hours to do my hair now with just a ceramic flat iron. Using the feather iron would make it a 4+ hour process because you have to use small sections and I was really slow with it for fear that I would burn all my hair out. I was, however, able to get good results on the small test areas I practiced on so I know it works. My problem is that I never committed the time and energy necessary to be able to do my hair quickly with good results.

Its actually been on my mind lately as I've been wanting to step up my game when it comes to my appearance and hair care. I may give it another go in the near future. If anyone can recommend a temperature controlled stove then I'll probably do it sooner than later.

Suggestions anyone???

Back