might as well sum it all in to one

mlagrollace

i read the rules and i didn't find anything against personal stories, so i'll attempt to seek some help and support.

i have 2c-3a, relaxed, and shoulder length hair. when i was a child, my hair was quite literally to my hips. but it was hard to manage since i had nappy, thick, and dry hair. when i went to get my first relaxer at around 12, i got 6 inches cut off by the snobbish stylish and since then, my hair is real... sucky.

the problems i have are that my hair:
-holds heat and is easily damaged by it
-eats moisture and dries up
-curls up when relaxed instead of straightening
-splits at the ends ALL the time
and is overall in poor shape.

i currently use pink hair lotions, t-tree oil, and hair mayonnaise. i use patene pro-v for my shampoo and conditioner. as of late, i use no-lye relaxers on my hair.

my goal is to regain my length prechoppedandrelaxed or "realistically", get bra strap length. :perplexed but i'm lost on the basics.

willing to dedicate! help?

Well just stick around here and I'm sure all the wonderful ladies here will give you some great advice! Don't be down, I had very long hair too and then I got it relaxed and it's been downhill ever since. :grin: I would say maybe you should try something other than the pink lotion... from what I learned here it's not exactly the best thing for your hair, but that is JMO. But also you may want to cut down on the heat and do some major deep conditioning- I like Organic Root Stimulator hair mayo. Also you may want to fit in some protein treatments. Try doing a search and see what you find. There's a lot of great info on this board. Good luck!:grin:

Put the pink lotion down and step away :perplexed
Stop with the heat
Incorporate co washing for a few weeks and see how that helps with your moisture then seal in that moisture
Welcome by the way

i read the rules and i didn't find anything against personal stories, so i'll attempt to seek some help and support.

i have 2c-3a, relaxed, and shoulder length hair. when i was a child, my hair was quite literally to my hips. but it was hard to manage since i had nappy, thick, and dry hair. when i went to get my first relaxer at around 12, i got 6 inches cut off by the snobbish stylish and since then, my hair is real... sucky.

the problems i have are that my hair:
-holds heat and is easily damaged by it
-curls up when relaxed instead of straightening
and is overall in poor shape.

i currently use pink hair lotions, t-tree oil, and hair mayonnaise. i use patene pro-v for my shampoo and conditioner. as of late, i use no-lye relaxers on my hair.

my goal is to regain my length prechoppedandrelaxed or "realistically", get bra strap length. :perplexed but i'm lost on the basics.

willing to dedicate! help?

I won't be much help, since I haven't experienced this before.
However one thing you said caught my attention:

Well to me a start might be to get your protein/moisture balance in check. not holding moisture could be a porousity issue. Breakage goes hand and hand with dryness. I would alternate weekly washing with a gentle shampoo like castle (dr bronners) then Deep condish tx (like qp DPR-11 with a cap and heat) on the first week. Week 2, wash with gentle poo, then use Aphogee "purple bottle" for damaged hair ($4 from sally's) and follow up with QP dpr-11. I usually put in honey or molasses(humectant helps attract/retain moisture levels in hair) and melted shea, castor oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil (jojoba passes easily into the hair shaft as does coconut oil. Follow up by air drying, rollersetting if you will. You must use a nice leave-in that's water based (giovanni direct, sunsilk the pink bottle, or even sta-so-fro gold) and seal with oil such as jojoba or castor. I am sure that many others will be able to give you more/better suited advice. Good luck to you hun :)

Put the pink lotion down and step away :perplexed
Stop with the heat
Incorporate co washing for a few weeks and see how that helps with your moisture then seal in that moisture
Welcome by the way
whyyyy?

and what makes cowashing different from normal washing?

Well just stick around here and I'm sure all the wonderful ladies here will give you some great advice! Don't be down, I had very long hair too and then I got it relaxed and it's been downhill ever since. :grin: I would say maybe you should try something other than the pink lotion... from what I learned here it's not exactly the best thing for your hair, but that is JMO. But also you may want to cut down on the heat and do some major deep conditioning- I like Organic Root Stimulator hair mayo. Also you may want to fit in some protein treatments. Try doing a search and see what you find. There's a lot of great info on this board. Good luck!:grin:
thank you for your great advice! i never thought the pink lotion was too bad, though it is really thick.

I won't be much help, since I haven't experienced this before.
However one thing you said caught my attention:

Well to me a start might be to get your protein/moisture balance in check. not holding moisture could be a porousity issue. Breakage goes hand and hand with dryness. I would alternate weekly washing with a gentle shampoo like castle (dr bronners) then Deep condish tx (like qp DPR-11 with a cap and heat) on the first week. Week 2, wash with gentle poo, then use Aphogee "purple bottle" for damaged hair ($4 from sally's) and follow up with QP dpr-11. I usually put in honey or molasses(humectant helps attract/retain moisture levels in hair) and melted shea, castor oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil (jojoba passes easily into the hair shaft as does coconut oil. Follow up by air drying, rollersetting if you will. You must use a nice leave-in that's water based (giovanni direct, sunsilk the pink bottle, or even sta-so-fro gold) and seal with oil such as jojoba or castor. I am sure that many others will be able to give you more/better suited advice. Good luck to you hun :)
wow, thanks a lot for the advice.
i'm going to show pics of my current status and try that to see the results.

whyyyy?

Cowashing is just washing with a conditioner only and it's really great. I used to do it a long time ago but then I slacked off... lazy. LOL. It's better b/c you're not shampooing your hair which can be drying. But your hair is getting somewhat cleaner and you're adding moisture to it. I absolutely love it!

whyyyy?

Cowashing is just washing with a conditioner only and it's really great. I used to do it a long time ago but then I slacked off... lazy. LOL. It's better b/c you're not shampooing your hair which can be drying. But your hair is getting somewhat cleaner and you're adding moisture to it. I absolutely love it!

whyyyy?

I agree with everything many of the ladies already said;
- Stop using heat (for awhile until your hair stops breaking)
- Do a protein treatment with Aphogee to strengthen your hair
- Follow up with weekly or even bi-weekly deep conditioning with really thick conditioner
- co-wash frequently to boost the moisture in your hair
- pay special attention to your ends, mositurize then frequently and seal the moisture with oil
- use protective styles that keep your ends up and away from your clothes
- avoid brushing, combing touching your ends as much as possible
- stay away from pink oil "moisturizer" and any other "moisturizer" that is made with mineral oil because they don't really moisturize

If you can stick with these things, your hair should stop breaking soon. Good luck.

Your hair sounds like the porosity level is all off. I would do an ACV rinse (mix apple cider vinegar and water, spray on and then wash, after deep condition). Also, pick up a leave-in (Giovanni direct, Neutrogina Silk touch leave-in, etc.) and a sealant (any oil, popular one's on this board are avocado, coconut, jojoba, and castor oils). Otherwise, exactly what the other ladies said. STEP AWAY from the pink lotion, PLEASE!

just wanted to cosign to the cowashes and baggying... and say that Pink lotion is the devil!....

Paprika- thanks for posting that link! i'd been looking for a site like that for yrs... but i found lhcf first lol... still loved it tho

Definitely what she said.

You may need to clarify and do a protein treatment. Definitely DC everytime you wash.

I used Pink Oil in the 9th grade....time to upgrade. I would use olive oil as a moisturizer.

Rollerset or wear protective styles and baggy whenever possible (putting oil on hair and either putting on a plastic cap or using a sandwich bag on ends of ponytail).

I agree with everything many of the ladies already said;
- Stop using heat (for awhile until your hair stops breaking)
- Do a protein treatment with Aphogee to strengthen your hair
- Follow up with weekly or even bi-weekly deep conditioning with really thick conditioner
- co-wash frequently to boost the moisture in your hair
- pay special attention to your ends, mositurize then frequently and seal the moisture with oil
- use protective styles that keep your ends up and away from your clothes
- avoid brushing, combing touching your ends as much as possible
- stay away from pink oil "moisturizer" and any other "moisturizer" that is made with mineral oil because they don't really moisturize

If you can stick with these things, your hair should stop breaking soon. Good luck.

Back