Micros as a protective style? Thoughts please....

authormom

I am thinking about getting micros as a protective style for the summer. My hair is shoulder length and I really want to grow it out. (APL by December)

Is it possible to wear micros and them not totally damage my hair? I've heard mixed reviews on them, and some people have even went so far as to tell me I had to chop off my hair (down to about 1.5in long) to wear them properly.

Any have experience/success with this as a PS?

I would be careful with micros. I've seen girls lose all their hair on one side from having micros that were too small and tight. And with SL hair the small braids might weigh your hair down a bit too much.
I would go for something that has a similar style to micros (having the loose ends) but larger sections of hair and thicker braids. Stay away from the itty bitty braids! You're hair will thank you.

You might get some useful info from the thread below. I don't remember what I wrote but in case I didn't mention it, my advice would be that if YOU won't be doing your own braids, then don't get them. They are a risky style if the one doing them doesn't love your hair/head as much as you do and hasn't got a clue how to do them in a way that won't rip your hair out.

BTW, I am talking about "micros" in the sense of tiny braids. I understand that that term means to some "any braids not braided to the ends". I am also not a fan of braids not braided to the end because they unravel easily and to me don't look neat, so when I do my micros, I braid to the ends. Also many braiders will not braid your own hair to the end when leaving the ends loose, which IMO defeats the purpose of it being a protective style.

This thread may help you decide: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417854

Some people can get away with them and not lose hair for me I will never get them again my edges looked like a plucked chicken after I took them out. It took a lot of TLC to get my edges back but after some megatech they are better then ever.

I've seen them destroy edges too many times for me to recommend it. Box braids or some sort of twists would probably be a better bet.

i would stay away from micros. you can get small braids (like 4mm -5mm thick) but make sure that the braider starts with using enough of your own hair to start the braid. you don't want to weigh the hair down too heavily.

i've worn braids off and on for years. i am going to get my braids done for the summer as well. i grew my hair from neck length to just above bra strap by keeping my hair in braids.

just don't let the braider braid them too tightly, make sure they use enough of your own hair to start the braid, and don't leave the braids in for too long. if i leave mine in for more than 8 weeks, my roots will start to lock, especially at the nape.

My edges and my ends suffered tremendously when I had micros. Not to mention the take down process was awful. I basically lost what I had grown, so for me this style is not an option.

NOPE and NO, micros pull edges out and put too much tension on hair follices. try individual braids/cornrows that are medium in size or even kinky twists.

Back