Method to the breakage, shedding madness

motherof2

Hi all! I'm trying to nail down a hair regimen, however, I'm such a PJ that I try everything that suggested and I never get back to the products that I used in the past that worked./images/graemlins/ooo.gif Anyhew, my question is about shedding and breakage is there a formula that you use. If your hair starts to shed it means that you need to do more moisturizing conditioning, and if it starts to break, you need more protein conditioning, or vice versa? /images/graemlins/confused.gif
How do you know what to use to stop the breakage or shedding?

I'm having some breakage problems. Just wanted to know how to stop it. I'm not sure whether I should add moisture or more protein. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am definately not an expert (being only 16) but I would really recommend some S-curl spray. I used this product because Adrienne0914 suggested it and IT WORKS /images/graemlins/smile.gif Also I would suggest that you could do conditioner washes. I know both of these have helped me a lot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When people have breakage, a lot of them use the treatment by Aphogee. As far as shedding, I'd say stick with a good consistent regimen. What is your current regimen, and what products are you using?

I'm sure some of the other ladies will come up with some suggestions.

I've use AphoGee(for damaged hair) for my breakage. It's has worked wonders for the breakage, but my problem lately has been shedding. As you may know, to much protein usage will lead to breakage, so following the AphoGee tx you should use a moisturizing conditoner. It's a must. I'm all ears for something to help to minimize shedding /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I belief it's has something to do w/ the way I dry my hair. But, I'll see how alternating between airdrying and using the blowdryer will help /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. HTH

Hair that breaks has always struck me as a problem of elasticity. Elasticity is related to your general health, especially water intake.
If you are experiencing breakage, instead of considering products that claim to "bond", "revitalize", or even moisturize, I suggest you just spritz water on your hair yourself throughout the day. Keep an old mini spray bottle in your purse, and spray your hair when it feels dry.

There are other habits which harm elasticity (curling irons, eg.), but I think water is the easiest place to start.

Hi there! For many of us, shedding happens every now and then and isn't a major cause for concern unless it's excessive. If your hair is breaking, maybe you need to strengthen it and add some protein. Use a good protein conditioner and follow it immediately with a good moisturizer. If you don't follow protein with moisture, the protein will dry your hair and cause more breakage. Deep condition your hair every time you shampoo, and use the best products you can afford to moisturize your hair on a daily basis.

If you post your regime, it will help everyone recommend what you can do or how you can tweak things to make them work for you. I hope this helps!

Thanks ladies. I think the main problem is that I do not have a regimen. I have so many products, and I'm trying to use them all. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I think that should be my starting point. Thanks again for your responses.

I agree with all of what was posted on this thread but I think Honeyviben is dead on with her comment about elasticity. I also feel that oil can be a gondsend when hair is breaking. Water and conditioner will help you to maintain the moisture balance and should be done regularly in addition to periodic strengthening treatments. But elasticity is as important as all of this. If your hair has no stretch it will break. A little oil before styling on wet hair will give your hair a little more "give" and it will break less. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Other than that a good consistent regimen will make sure that shedding (a difficult problem to correct because it's usually internally driven) does the least amount of damage. Regular cream protein treatments (every 2-4 weeks) and a concentrated protein treatment with each chemical service followed by and substituted with really good conditioning treatments are all you should really need to make sure your hair is as healthy as possible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck to you.

Maybe you can categorize your hair products into their main function - moisturizing conditioners, protein conditioners, moiturizing shampoos, build up removing shampoos, leave in conditioners, protein treatments etc. Then you can make a regimine around the "types" of products you have instead of particular brands. Then "listen" to what your hair needs.
Like this:

dry hair -
preshampoo hot oil treatment/ conditioner
moisturizing shampoo
deep moisturizing conditioner
leave in (moisturizing with mild protein like silk or wheat germ)

breakage -
preshampoo treatment
shampoo
deep protein treament like aPhogee, Clarol Rennewal 5x, etc.
deep moisturizing conditioner

If a particualr rpoduct does not work so well, take it out of rotation.

Back