Mesh Rollers & Roller Pins

I wanna see how your results turn out because I have a big bag of the mesh rollers w/ pins that I exclusively used for dry sets but they would make my hair frizzy sometimes and i retired them for my snap-on rollers.

I'm scared to do a wet set with them because i heard the hair has to be laid smooth on a roller and mesh is nothing but holes. And that person's blog does NOT have hair like mine so i was still skeptical.

I'm relaxed. A 4/b hair type I think.

I love Mesh rollers on wet hair! I prefer the hard plastic mesh rollers, which is now hard to find in the BSS. I purchased my online a while back.

So, a wet set on mesh rollers didn't work so well for me. :down:
But...
I ended up just drying my hair combed straight back. Then used heat to curl it. And I'll just use the mesh rollers for nightly maintenance until the next wash.

Also: I ended up using just regular hair pins to secure the rollers :up:

I think I've got it :up:

I just bought some today and tried a dry rollerset. The pins secure the hair so well without the pulling/tugging like the bobby pins and duckbill clamps. I'm gonna try tonight on wet hair and airdry overnight. I'll be back w/ details

Also: who's blog is this:

http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

This is where I got my inspiration for trying the pins.

I love Hairloves site!! I still haven't mastered the hair pins.. i use the duckbill clips...:sad:

I just bought some today and tried a dry rollerset. The pins secure the hair so well without the pulling/tugging like the bobby pins and duckbill clamps. I'm gonna try tonight on wet hair and airdry overnight. I'll be back w/ details

When I tried it dry it worked okay. Wet? :lachen::nono: Please post your results, I need all the help I can get.

Owwww, I like that site.

I see why this is your favorite forum Allandra. I've been missing out. Why you didn't tell me?

I tried to find them at sally's they had the ones that are like a golden color and kind of see-thru. I think there is like 12 in a pack. If you have the clips that are used for the magnetic rollers (the ones with the little pocket) you can use those too. I have yet to try it this way. Goody makes some clips like that that are not metal so they won't burn the scalp while under the dryer.

hey guys - don't give up! you will master those roller sets in no time. I can now roller set in 20 minutes and it used to take me at least an hour!

Btw-Sally's has the green mesh rollers.

That's Hairlove's blog. She's a LHCF legend. One of many. :yep: IMO of course.

Check the archives she's shared great tips over the years.

Last edited:
I recently discovered the best mesh rollers. One of stylist's is from Ethiopia and ordered them for her salon. The work better than any mesh rollers that I used in the past. I have been searching for them online to no avail....I am going to ask her to order some for me. When I get them I will post the info.

In the mean time if anyone reading this post and is familiar with the rollers please chime in. I believe the proper name is concave tension rollers.

hairlove said that they sell them at sally's

Thanks, but I've never seen these particular rollers in Sally's or any other beauty supply I have been too in the past. The rollers I referred to in my earlier post are plasitic with smooth grips and holes. They allow you to stretch and hold tension to the hair for a very smooth roller set. I do own mesh rollers. I currently have the plastic ones by Goody. In the past I owned the wire mesh. None of those are like the rollers my ethiopian stylist used on my hair. I'll take a pic next time I go to that salon so I can show you all what I talking about.

Last edited:
I wanna see how your results turn out because I have a big bag of the mesh rollers w/ pins that I exclusively used for dry sets but they would make my hair frizzy sometimes and i retired them for my snap-on rollers.

I'm scared to do a wet set with them because i heard the hair has to be laid smooth on a roller and mesh is nothing but holes. And that person's blog does NOT have hair like mine so i was still skeptical.

I'm relaxed. A 4/b hair type I think.

I am also relaxed with the same hair type...you can try this with flexi-rods; I used them when my hair was flourishing, and my hair came out fab! And they have a variety of sizes for different lengths of hair.

Mesh rollers are still my favorites on wet hair and I always use pins shown in the link http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html
Securing the first roller is the only difficult time: you have to carefully bring the pin along the skin on the top of your head giving a little tension (as a spring). Once you have positioned the second roller, you can simply get the pin going through the first roller Possibly you can put a second pin. Wit this you get a rather quick setting and the rollers are not tight one to te other which would give a bad effect on your hair once dry. you can check the pin arrangment in my Fotki

I tried to find them at sally's they had the ones that are like a golden color and kind of see-thru. I think there is like 12 in a pack. If you have the clips that are used for the magnetic rollers (the ones with the little pocket) you can use those too. I have yet to try it this way. Goody makes some clips like that that are not metal so they won't burn the scalp while under the dryer.

I got my rollers in today. I should have ordered the pins.:perplexed Off to order those now.

I'd bought the mesh rollers and pins because of that website. I haven't tried them yet, but the instructions gave me hope that I can do it.

ETA: I'd bought the rollers and pins at Sallys. The quality was much better than the ones at the BSS.

So, it's gonna cost me $7 in shipping charges for hair pins that cost less than $2. Anyone have some extra hair pins I can buy from them?

Back