Meeting men at the club . . .

Glib Gurl

No, not DA CLUB

:club:

I mean the HEALTH CLUB :cycle: :boxing:

People always say that that's a good place to meet people because you meet others who are also interested in being healthy/getting fit . . . as for me, I'm not a "fit" person so I always thought that wouldn't apply to me, but I actually have been approached by men while getting my workout on (complete with sweat stains, messy hair and errythang).

I recently changed gyms so I could work out in my neighborhood, but ain't no propsects in the 'burbs . . . I think I might do a sample membership at the 'hood gym across town :eyebrows2

Just wondering if any of you have met men at the health club while working out?

We call our gym Club 24 I always meet men there. I'm not so fit myself but they don't seem to mind. I meet men in the burbs I guess it just depends on your city. I heard Lifetime Fitness has some nice menz.

I'm not currently giving out my number I'm trying to focus on 1 or 2 man prospects. Check with me in a week or 2 I might be on the prowl again.

When I used to go to a public gym, I met a few guys there. I have mixed feelings about that. I am always flattered that someone is interested but I'm not really trying to chat it up while I am in there sweating and maybe not looking my best. :look:

Not to mention, if things don't work out, there is always the inevitable awkwardness of trying to avoid the gym at the time you know he will be there. :lachen:

I'm glad I go to a small private gym now where no one is using it as a pick up spot. I can go in, burn my calories and keep it moving.

Last edited:
I met my bf at the gym. It's so easy to meet guys at the gym and since there are hardly any black women there's no competition.

I don't go to a hood gym, but the one I go to is very diverse: black men, white, latino and asian men and women. There are two gyms that are closer to me...but it's worth it to make the drive. :look: lol

So um how are you meeting men at the gym? Are they approaching you out of the blue with no signals? Or did you make a comment or say hi to them first?

So um how are you meeting men at the gym? Are they approaching you out of the blue with no signals? Or did you make a comment or say hi to them first?

They would just come up to me when I had a little down time. Having a drink at the water fountain, taking a breather while doing the circuit. Usually they have been checking you out for a while and are just looking for an opening to approach you. If you go at the same time all the time, the same men are in there.

When I used to go to a public gym, I met a few guys there. I have mixed feelings about that. I am always flattered that someone is interested but I'm not really trying to chat it up while I am in there sweating and maybe not looking my best. :look:

Not to mention, if things don't work out, there is always the inevitable awkwardness of trying to avoid the gym at the time you know he will be there. :lachen:

I'm glad I go to a small private gym now where no one is using it as a pick up spot. I can go in, burn my calories and keep it moving.

Yeah I agree...I don't like meeting men at the gym or the grocery store. I'm there for a purpose and it's not a MAN. :lachen:

Maybe I'm crazy but to me, that's the BEST time to meet someone . . . I mean, if they take an interest in you there . . . in your sweats and whatnot, just imagine how blown away they'll be when you show up all :kiss3:

Maybe I'm crazy but to me, that's the BEST time to meet someone . . . I mean, if they take an interest in you there . . . in your sweats and whatnot, just imagine how blown away they'll be when you show up all :kiss3:

Glib,

To be painfully honest with you, I've met most of my men when I was in sweats with little to no makeup. Men do come on to you a lot in the gym but I hate it. I like to concentrate and hit the streets once I am done. If they can catch me afterwards then its all good. Another reason why I use to frequent the gym early in the morning or late at night. Nobody to worry you. lol

They are like wolves in the gym. Now I only go with my dh.

This is the part that I didn't like. Some men treat the gym like it's some kind of nightclub. They are they to preen, show off their physiques, and pick up women. The gym is nothing but a place for them to gawk and stare at women in little outfits who are sweaty and have their parts bouncing up and down. I see why some gyms have entire areas that are devoted to women only. It's uncomfortable when you are in there trying to exercise and you can't even do that in peace.

Last edited:
Glib,

To be painfully honest with you, I've met most of my men when I was in sweats with little to no makeup. Men do come on to you a lot in the gym but I hate it. I like to concentrate and hit the streets once I am done. If they can catch me afterwards then its all good. Another reason why I use to frequent the gym early in the morning or late at night. Nobody to worry you. lol

What's painful about this . . . maybe I'm missing something :look: You're one of those *serious* gym-goers so I can understand. As for me, I go by sheer force of will . . . I hate it. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's cool, though!

I avoid all eye contact when I'm at the gym. The one I go to is known to be a meat market..dudes be all in your grill doing that "how you doin mah" face..and the entrance to the womans locker room is directly across from where the free weight area begins :nono:...(there is some eye candy though:lick:)...but I can definitely see the gym being an easy place to meet someone.

What's painful about this . . . maybe I'm missing something :look: You're one of those *serious* gym-goers so I can understand. As for me, I go by sheer force of will . . . I hate it. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's cool, though!

It's just annoying sometimes to stop and talk to someone and get distracted when you're trying to get something done(the workout). Then you end up spending the time talking to this dude and sacrifice part of the work out, and this guy may not have been even worth it. And when it happens every. single. time. you go the gym it's annoying.

~~~~~~
I avoid unwanted contact with men with my eyes and...I don't know how, I'm able to keep people (women included) from talking to me when I don't want them to without using the stank face. lol (Except in the hood, it's impossible for me to keep hood men away, which is why I stay out of the hood! lol)

That's cool, though!

I've been seriously slackign on the gym. I just started back. But yeah, my cousin clowns me some bad when I leave the house with sweats and little to no make-up. I'm just not one of those women who need to be made up to catch men. Nowadays I stick to the apartment gym and my house to steer clear of men. lol

It's just annoying sometimes to stop and talk to someone and get distracted when you're trying to get something done(the workout). Then you end up spending the time talking to this dude and sacrifice part of the work out, and this guy may not have been even worth it. And when it happens every. single. time. you go the gym it's annoying.

~~~~~~
I avoid unwanted contact with men with my eyes and...I don't know how, I'm able to keep people (women included) from talking to me when I don't want them to without using the stank face. lol (Except in the hood, it's impossible for me to keep hood men away, which is why I stay out of the hood! lol)

Exactly! Catch me afterwards or something doing my cool down. My attention is easily swayed so I need to concentrate on my workout.

My best friend met her husband at the gym. In their case she was the one who was on the prowl for him. She used to go to the gym just to gawk at him and he never paid her any mind. Eventually she ran into him outside the gym and that's where they started talking.

I've met a couple of men at the gym over the years. I'm relationship minded so I'm open to meeting a man anywhere for the most part. Most men at the gym know not to approach me when I'm in the final reps of my last set of chest presses. But I'm okay if a man gives me the eye and then approaches during my cool down or something. Heck, it's not like I'm not checking them out the same way.

I met my last BF at the gym. I was finishing up doing my ab work when he made a comment like "You can do more situps than that" (being the competitive guy he is). That led to chatting and he eventually asked for my number a few weeks later. We dated for about 1.5 years. I see nothing wrong meeting men at the gym...if you are receptive to it.

Sometimes I smize other times they just approach. Sometimes their friend is trying to talk to my friend and then we all become friends.

I never met guys at the gym. I would work out, maybe take a class and go home. Even when I wore cute outfits, I was never approached. Idk. Oh well.

I never met guys at the gym. I would work out, maybe take a class and go home. Even when I wore cute outfits, I was never approached. Idk. Oh well.

Yea, I don't get it either. I think I was approached once at the gym.
I didn't know men actually went the gym to meet women until I came this board.

But supposedly, looking cute deters men away. They want you to look as your least best to be considered approachable from what I read here sometimes.

Last edited:
Back