Mayonaise... I did a search but didn't find much.

G

Mayonaise... I did a search but didn\'t find much.

I'm talking about the sandwich kind. I have never tried this on my hair. Can someone who uses it give me some more info about it? I'm thinking it will serve as a deep conditioner and (something like) and ACV all in one (b/c it has the vinegar in it). I want to get some this week but can someone who's used it tell me how long to leave it? Which brand? Heat or no heat? Etc....

Re: Mayonaise... I did a search but didn\'t find much.

brave girl! i always feel if i try this i will wind up smelling 'salady' for a week...lol

I think you apply it first, then shampoo if I'm not mistaken.... Help please..
confused.gif

My aunt conditions her texturized hair with mayo. She leaves it on for about an hour and then shampoos with cool water--hot water makes it lumpy and hard to rinse out. She says the kind in the squeeze bottle is less messy.

There are 2 "n" in mayonnaise. If you spell it that way, you should get quite a few posts in your search.

i remember a new member (longhairdiva) said for conditioning she uses mayo plus oilve oil and eggs. and she apparently had knee length hair. she turned out to be a fake BUT the recipe does sound good though
laugh.gif

I read that you should be sure to use Mayonnaise (Hellman's) and NOT dressing (Miracle Whip). Do NOT use heat. Mayo has eggs in it and you don't want to turn your hair into a fried egg salad.
laugh.gif
I did it once a few years ago. It was okay. It's kind of like doing an oil treatment as far as washing it out. Tepid water to rinse it out... no heat remember.

My memory is starting to kick in some more... about an hour is correct. Then shampoo as usual.

To combat the smell, add a teaspoon of vanilla or use a few drops of an essential oil.

I still use the mayonnaise (hellmans), not miracle whip, sometimes. When I was permed and transitioning, I would shampoo it out with warm almost cold water and there was no need to condition afterwards. My hair was silky without tangles. Now that I am 100% natural (finally), my hair still comes out silky but I still need to spray in a little conditioner/detangler in order to detangle it.

Basically, on a good night, I will apply olive oil first for an hour and then apply hellmans over the olive oil for an hour. The entire time, I have a plastic bag insulating my hair. On a lazy night, I will just apply hellmans or mayo. It is a really nice deep conditioning pre-shampoo treatment.

Back