maybe a dumb question but has anyone here

Not personally, but I do know someone who got pre-engagement counseling w/ her SO through their church. Afterwards, she moved on to pre-marriage counseling with her fiance and recently got married.

It wasn't nessessarily pre-engagement counseling but we went to counseling during our relationship and we weren't engaged.The thought was there but no official engagement at the time.It was just counseling for our relationship that was hanging on its last thread but we had a son and wanted to work on it and it helped.:yep:

Yes, me and my SO of six years decided to start counseling a couple of months ago. I think it's a great thing. Why wait until a couple of months before the wedding to air out everything? The sooner you handle your problems the better.

actually, my pastor encourages couples that are thinking about getting engaged to attend the 'Before You Say I Do' classes. He says that once the ring is bought and the plans are being made, people are just attending the class to check it off of their list. They aren't really going to call off the wedding based on revelations from the class. I agree with him. I know plenty of couples that just sat through pre-marital counseling classes, afraid to dig too deep b/c they didn't want to derail the train that had already left the station. Then, when the got married, they wished they had talked more in depth about some of the more serious subjects.

so, yes, couples that are courting (dating with the purpose of seeing if they are fit for marriage) do sometimes attend these classes.

actually, my pastor encourages couples that are thinking about getting engaged to attend the 'Before You Say I Do' classes. He says that once the ring is bought and the plans are being made, people are just attending the class to check it off of their list. They aren't really going to call off the wedding based on revelations from the class. I agree with him. I know plenty of couples that just sat through pre-marital counseling classes, afraid to dig too deep b/c they didn't want to derail the train that had already left the station. Then, when the got married, they wished they had talked more in depth about some of the more serious subjects.

so, yes, couples that are courting (dating with the purpose of seeing if they are fit for marriage) do sometimes attend these classes.

Exactly! It's kinda uncommon, but it made sense to us. We stumbled across the concept when looking for ways to understand each other better before marriage. I read that article (or whatever it was) about the "Before You Say I Do classes. (Scorpio, are you in Atlanta?). Right now, we're letting it alll hang out. But my goodness, its helping us beyond my wildest imaginations. We decided to do this now, so that during our time of engagement there won't be any confusion, uncertainty, or fear about moving forward. Like you said, some couples go through pre-marital counseling as something to do and check off. But if you're hell bent on planning the wedding then you just might miss some important stuff in those pre-martital counseling classes. i'm sure some may look at it as crazy, but it really makes sense when you think about it.

Back