maxiglide xp: undecided

MissRissa

so i suck at flatironing and i see the infomericial about the maxiglide like 12 times and all the ladies who love it on the board. i decide to get one. its freaking $120+14.95 shipping. but i figure if its great it will be worth it.

as soon i get in the house from UPS i go directly to the bathroom. my hair was in a curly ponytail today (wash n go) so im like yeah im bout to test this bad boy.

i turn it on, level 2 setting (i remember ladies saying how hot it gets). Use it just like the directions say.

Pros:
my ends do not look all crispy and frayed the way they normally do when i flat iron

i didnt get that burnt smell like i do when i use a chi or sedu

for the first time EVER, i was able to flat iron my hair from an air dry, no rollers nothing, straight curls. i mean this impressed the hell outta me.

the hair is definitely soft afterwards

I was able to do a quarter of my head in literally like 15 minutes. thats at least half of my normal time.

Cons:
even immediately after flat ironing, my hair wasn't straight the way i like it.

even though i only used 1 steam burst on the VERY END of my hair, after about 30 minutes, my hair looked like i had gotten caught in a drizzle. im like what the heck was the point of straightening if its gonna get all extra poofy right after.

It left my hair limp.

i dont know if i should list this as a con but my hair kinda looks greasy, which may explain the limp feel. now to maxiglide's credit that may be all the product i put in my hair after my wash n go this morning.

so i really dont know if i should keep it. i mean it may prove really helpful if i need a quick straighten, especially since i rock wash n go's probably about 80% of the time. I cannot do that with a regular flat iron. but i definitely dont see it as my go to iron.

i guess i may have to do a few more test runs before i decide. cause um thats a grip of money to use on a flat iron i may not really use, especially when i already have 2.

so i suck at flatironing and i see the infomericial about the maxiglide like 12 times and all the ladies who love it on the board. i decide to get one. its freaking $120+14.95 shipping. but i figure if its great it will be worth it.

as soon i get in the house from UPS i go directly to the bathroom. my hair was in a curly ponytail today (wash n go) so im like yeah im bout to test this bad boy.

i turn it on, level 2 setting (i remember ladies saying how hot it gets). Use it just like the directions say.

Pros:
my ends do not look all crispy and frayed the way they normally do when i flat iron

for the first time EVER, i was able to flat iron my hair from an air dry, no rollers nothing, straight curls. i mean this impressed the hell outta me.

I was able to do a quarter of my head in literally like 15 minutes. thats at least half of my normal time.

Cons:

even though i only used 1 steam burst on the VERY END of my hair, after about 30 minutes, my hair looked like i had gotten caught in a drizzle. im like what the heck was the point of straightening if its gonna get all extra poofy right after.

It left my hair limp.

i dont know if i should list this as a con but my hair kinda looks greasy, which may explain the limp feel. now to maxiglide's credit that may be all the product i put in my hair after my wash n go this morning.

so i really dont know if i should keep it. i mean it may prove really helpful if i need a quick straighten, especially since i rock wash n go's probably about 80% of the time. I cannot do that with a regular flat iron. but i definitely dont see it as my go to iron.

i guess i may have to do a few more test runs before i decide. cause um thats a grip of money to use on a flat iron i may not really use, especially when i already have 2.

Did you wash your hair before you used it or did you have products already in your hair?

If you had products in it already (leave in conditioner, etc.) then, yeah...I can see it not working right for you. You have to have clean hair and only a small amount of protector on your hair in order for you to get it right. I use it and it leaves my hair bouncy and shiny...I love it.

The other thing is that you should have ordered it from HSN, who has it for $99.99 and you could have done the payment plan if you needed to.

Your post just reminded me that I have one of these. ;)

I purchased mine from Bed Bath and Beyond w/my 20% off coupon. So it was like 80 something bucks.

Thanks for the review.

I have not used mine yet it's still in the box.

ETA: Maybe I will air dry today w/ min product and try it out tomorrow.

I really want the new Maxi Glide...I have the original but it broke and the water leaks I blame that on my not packing it properly when i moved...I bought a FHI used it once and I was missing my Maxi ..My hair responds better to the steam it leaves my hair shiny and bouncy!!I'll probably order the Maxi Glide MP from HSN this week...

From my previous exprience with the Maxi I agree that I will work much better on freshly washed clean hair..and some heat protectant...The maxi never got my hair bone straight but the fact that it left my hair feeling lush and soft....... beat it being bone straight smelling burnt and my ends looking ragged...:(

If you had products in it already (leave in conditioner, etc.) then, yeah...I can see it not working right for you. You have to have clean hair and only a small amount of protector on your hair in order for you to get it right. I use it and it leaves my hair bouncy and shiny...I love it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't flat ironed my hair with mp as a natural yet, but from what I have read you have to make sure your hair is clean and has very little product in it prior to straightening to prevent it from reverting or feeling heavy and weighed down.

OP, try washing your hair and adding just a little product and see how that works for you.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't flat ironed my hair with mp as a natural yet, but from what I have read you have to make sure your hair is clean and has very little product in it prior to straightening to prevent it from reverting or feeling heavy and weighed down.

OP, try washing your hair and adding just a little product and see how that works for you.

When you say a "little product" does that mean just a heat protectant and leave-in? I ask because I'm about to do a cowash and wash n go puff but I will like to put some product to keep frizz away. TIA

I had a Maxiglide . I only would use it like 1 or 2x a year just to get a good trim or have a different look for a couple of days.

It was the 1st flat iron that really straightened my hair and it looked shiny and beautiful. I don't have it anymore because I gave it to my nieces that have natural hair but have to have it flat-ironed sometimes for shows (their dancers) .

Since I don't use much heat on my hair I was in no rush to buy another but I really did love it . Anyhoo, I was thinking of buying another one from HSN but when I got on the site I saw that they have the GHD flat iron that I've heard a lot about , it's much more expensive but I bought it anyway. You can do flex pay on HSN if you want to. When I get it I'll try it out and if I don't like it more than the Maxiglide I'm sending it right back and getting the Maxi again.

When you say a "little product" does that mean just a heat protectant and leave-in? I ask because I'm about to do a cowash and wash n go puff but I will like to put some product to keep frizz away. TIA

It means a little heat protectant and a minimal amount of whatever else your hair needs (ETA: EXCEPT oil). So if you can't just use a heat protectant and must use a leave-in, then just use a small amount of it. The main idea is that you don't want to put a lot of any product in your hair before you straighten.

HTH :)

Last edited:

i turn it on, level 2 setting (i remember ladies saying how hot it gets). Use it just like the directions say. I don't know your hair type, but this setting may be too low if you want a straighter outcome

Pros:

Cons:

It left my hair limp. Lots of product will do that. Did you use any oils?

so i really dont know if i should keep it. i mean it may prove really helpful if i need a quick straighten, especially since i rock wash n go's probably about 80% of the time. I cannot do that with a regular flat iron. but i definitely dont see it as my go to iron. Give it one more try, you have 30 days. Try no oils, less product and a higher setting. I have the 2 products it comes with and experience no reversion.

i guess i may have to do a few more test runs before i decide. cause um thats a grip of money to use on a flat iron i may not really use, especially when i already have 2. Gurl, my pocket book is empty, but hair is fierce

I left my comments in brown above. Hope you give it another try

ITA w/everyone else. I am a natural type 4 w/coarse hair so if it can get my hair straight it should work for yours. After you wash and condition make sure you get ALL of the conditioner out or your hair will be weighted down. Then apply your leave-in, I prefer to use one that is not too heavy or creamy when I am flat ironing or my hair ends up puffy. Then use a protectant w/cones, these help to get my hair straight. It should work for you if you follow the tips everyone left for you, because my hair never even got straight w/relaxers but the maxiglide gets it straight.

ok, from my wash n go earlier, i put some nexxus leave in conditioner and I sealed with Carol's daughter's hair milk which has oils in it. i did think that was possibly the reason that it was limp and greasy looking. so i am gonna do it again to try.

I have really fine, 3c hair. i cant have the heat setting up too high. ive burned patches out of my head before. it was really weird cause i hadn't experienced this before. my hair was straight, but near the roots there was still a little bit of wave there. its so hard for me to explain. i wish my camera wasn't broken so i could take a picture.

see the limp greasy look, i can try to play with. my only real problem is this:

my sister is natural also and wants a new flat iron that would work well on her head so i was really also trying it out for her. so after i had done that piece i was thinking ok, this did a decent job. but 30 minutes later, it was extra frizzy. like the steam from the flat iron poofed it up. but i only used it on the very ends of my hair because when i usually flat iron, that part ends up all frizzy and frayed looking. an hour later that entire section looked like i was caught in a light drizzle.

my main reason for buying it for myself was to be able to go from curly to straight. i usually wear my hair curly because i co wash most mornings. then every once and a while my friends hit me with "so and so is having something, lets go" the night of. i dont like going "out" with my hair wet so i cant refresh the wash n go and i can't go from curly to straight with a regular flat iron. so if i do use the maxiglide off the wash n go, im wondering if its gonna always be like that.

but yeah im gonna play with it. i got 28 more days to see. sorry for the extra long post

I just have to say one more thing to add to what the other ladies have told you. Don't use the steam. I'm texlaxed and even when I was natural I did not use the steam. Steam will make your hair puffy. That's just going to to happen. So I know you're probably like why buy the thing if you can't use the steam, well the Maxiglide has the pins and those really help straighten, not to mention you can make use of the back of the flat iron which also helps to separate and straighten the hair. Nothing gets my ends straight like the maxiglide. Even while texlaxed.

I think the only downside is that I have to do small sections and be VERY careful NOT to pull out my 4a/b hair. :yep: I detangle with a comb first and then carefully slide the MG through tiny sections. My hair is never weighted down and has tons of swing. I prefer the MG to my Sedu during the last few weeks of my stretching.

To the post above mine, I purchase a more expensive iron for the quality, durability and ceramic technology. Cheapie irons haven't done the same for my hair without damage or wearing out in a short amount of time. :rolleyes:

Back