Maxiglide Users - Updates please

RUBY

I've got a maxiglide myself and remember when it was all the rage and people were talking about them.

Well its been a good few years now and I hardly hear people talk about them.

What's happened to all the maxiglide users?

Is it still working for you? Has anyone noticed adverse effects from long term use?

I like my maxiglide and was wondering if I should buy a second one (original XP model) as a back up because I get better results than with my Sedu but want to know if its worth it.

I love the maxiglide and its effective but my biggest gripe with it is I can only clean one side of it: the side with the teeth and not the other with the holes that the steam comes through. This is really infuriating because my hair will be freshly washed and clean and fresh smelling.....then because of the buildup in that side of the iron, my hair ends up with that "I just pressed my hair" smoky smell:nono:

So now unfortunately I'm gonna be forced to get a new flat iron with the classic flat plates on both sides:ohwell:

I have an Amika but I'm on the fence about it, I think I need a really high quality iron like a Sedu or something.

I am sure there are plenty. I love mine, I have a chi as well but I never use it anymore. Nothing gets my hair as straight and shiny. I love it!

I have one but I want a new flat iron. I'm tired of the cleaning aspect but the main thing is my spring broke some how so I'm shopping a new flat iron. I loved it in the past but maybe its time for something new.

I have one and I like mine. The only thing is I don't use the teeth plate because it seemed to pull my hair. Also I don't press the steam button, I just fill it up with water and let it steam by itself. When I used to press the button, I found that my hair didn't get as straight.

You guys I had my old Maxiglide for about four or five years. It really helped me straighten my texlaxed 4b hair. Then it broke...snapped in half.

I really think a flat iron needs to be replaced by year 3...but I keep my flat irons until they break or chip.

Anyways, I ordered the new maxiglide twice and returned it twice...why?

Because the new model pulls my hair with or without the teeth.

The thing I like about the old Maxiglide is that it did not damage my hair and it worked!
The new Maxiglide is designed differently and even though the difference is slight, the edges of that thing were too sharp for my strands to handle.

So I still use my Sedu and a Conair Steam Flat iron (without the steam).

I would order the OLD Maxiglide in a hot second.

I maxiglide my hair (after air drying) every Sunday. This "Is" my routine outside of a wash N Go. Ive actually had to replace my first one lol. As an aside Im texlaxed using a Motions mild for 5 mins with no smoothing and it takes my Diana Ross-big hair from a curly bush to smooth and sveltely straight in 10 minutes :)

This is my 6-day old MaxiGlided hair that has withstood 90 degree heat, workouts, and 3 rainy/humid days including today and my hair swells like the Incredible Wonder Bush. I will re-shampoo, DC, Air Dry, and MaxiGlide Sunday morning for next week.

photo.JPG

The other is my hair last Friday, I wore a wash-n-go, and that's my hair tamed and controlled. When it ari dries with a little creamy moisturizer it's really big and massive :lachen: and the MaxiGlide straightens it out in 10-15 minutes :yep:.
try.jpg

Last edited:
It is still my babydaddy. I still use it. No matter how many other flat irons companies send my way, I still put my boo Maxi first. I LOVE IT

Thanks for the replies. I wondering if the maxiglide is being discontinued? It's almost impossible to get the original maxiglide and it seems that people tend to have more problems/worse results with the newer ones.

My dilemma is that I've managed to track down an original maxiglide but it is expensive and I'm just weighing up if its worth it considering it would be a back up.

I absolutely love my Maxiglide. I use the side with teeth mostly. I have a little flat ironing comb for the chaser method but it can be a pain and awkward then it comes to doing the back of my hair. It's just easier to use the teeth.

I clean it as soon as it's cool enough to touch without being burned which consists of literally cleaning the teeth with a little tooth brush and wiping down the other side with a damp slightly soaped cloth then wipe dry.

This flat iron is still the business for me. I love that I can control the heat, have moisture via steam, and not have that burnt hair smell. Not to mention the customer service is AWESOME. :yep:

I love the maxiglide and its effective but my biggest gripe with it is I can only clean one side of it: the side with the teeth and not the other with the holes that the steam comes through. This is really infuriating because my hair will be freshly washed and clean and fresh smelling.....then because of the buildup in that side of the iron, my hair ends up with that "I just pressed my hair" smoky smell:nono:

So now unfortunately I'm gonna be forced to get a new flat iron with the classic flat plates on both sides:ohwell:

I have an Amika but I'm on the fence about it, I think I need a really high quality iron like a Sedu or something.

I haven't used mine in about 2 years, but as I recall, both plates are removeable? Aren't they??? I'll check when I get home......

My Maxiglide broke as well. It would only heat on one side and the spring broke and wouldn't hold the plate in place :ohwell: I loved how straight my hair would get using the teeth plate. I plan to purchase it again in the future.

AudraChanell said:
This is my 6-day old MaxiGlided hair that has withstood 90 degree heat, workouts, and 3 rainy/humid days including today and my hair swells like the Incredible Wonder Bush. I will re-shampoo, DC, Air Dry, and MaxiGlide Sunday morning for next week.

The other is my hair last Friday, I wore a wash-n-go, and that's my hair tamed and controlled. When it ari dries with a little creamy moisturizer it's really big and massive :lachen: and the MaxiGlide straightens it out in 10-15 minutes :yep:.

What heat setting do you use?

I have to use 10 as a heat setting, but only one slow pass without gripping for life straightens it to flat and bouncy.

Hi Ruby!

I'm where's the original maxiglide selling??? I'm ready to take that plug!

Thanks for the replies. I wondering if the maxiglide is being discontinued? It's almost impossible to get the original maxiglide and it seems that people tend to have more problems/worse results with the newer ones.

My dilemma is that I've managed to track down an original maxiglide but it is expensive and I'm just weighing up if its worth it considering it would be a back up.

I wish I still had the one with the removable plates. My first Maxiglide stopped heating up and I had to exchange it. They sent a different model and I can't take the plate out... :ohwell: I had better results with the other one.

The maxiglide is the best flat iron for me as a natural since it gets my ends really straight and they feel nice and smooth not crispy. I am not good with the chase method, so this helps me tremendously. I just purchased a back up in case they go out of stock again. To clean it I just use a toothbrush on the side with the teeth and that keeps it clean. I use it on the setting of 4-5 since this iron gets really hot.

It seems the orignal (with the blue steam button) is no where to be found. Amazon has the newer one for sale again for 80.

i moved on to the solia 1". It was too big to get my roots consistently and it would get gunky inside the holes after a while and it was laborious to clean because I couldn't take the top of to wash it.

Last edited:
I just purchased my first maxi glide around thanksgiving. If you register your email address at the manufacturers website they will notify you of limited shipments they get in or when they sell it on HSN. I wished I had the flat plates, but mine does not have that feature.

I have not used the Maxiglide in ages. I have a FHI Runway - and I never looked back... I also follow a serious moisture regimen when flat ironing my hair.... so I have not had many reversion issues.....

I loved the results but frequent use thinned my hair out. My hair is really short now so I don't use the Maxiglide anymore.

I still have mine. It is heavy. I feel like it is cumbersome but it does a good job. Has anyone tried the steam function yet?

Back