MAXIGLIDE USERS: Do you need to blowdry beforehand for great results?

JFK

Hi Ladies,

I ordered a Maxiglide and God willing it will be here tomorrow.

After reading about naturals who use it (I am natural), I often saw that they blowdried beforehand.

Do you really need to do that for a silky smooth finish?

I ordered a blowdryer from Sally's but if I don't need it, I'm thinking of sending it back.

TIA for your help!

That depends on your hair type.

If you're a type 3 (looser curly hair) you can just rollerset then flat iron.

If you're a type 4 tightly coily then I suppose you could try stretching the hair while air-drying but in my experience that usually results in a textured kinky straight result.

With the MaxiGlide if you want to use the plates with the teeth I would suggest doing what it takes to get your hair mostly straight prior to using it to prevent snagging and tangling in the teeth....for type 4's like me, that means a good blowout.

I always blowdry before I maxi. Once I tried flat ironing after a braid out I detangled and every thing but I couldn't get my ends straight
I am 4a/b natural

You can always do a cold blow out if you need to do one

I tried to use it for the first time yesterday, I just couldn't handle that thing.:sad:

It's seems so big and bulky to me, I did blowdry first. I'm not good at flat ironing so I guess it will take practice. I used my Sedu instead.

I really want to like this flat iron.

I'm a fine haired 4a and I rollerset prior to flat ironing. I get my hair, including my ends very straight. I do have some puffiness at the root but I believe that's user error.

I always air dry and get great results with my Maxiglide but I only flat iron a couple times a year. I think the little teeth and the steam really get the job done. I air dried when I had a CHI also and got nice results.

Good Question. I got my Maxiglide over the weekend and I used it for the first time yesterday. I blow dried my hair first because I thought that made the most sense to me because those teeth are a little intimidating (I am a 3c/4a).

I was very impressed with the results. I am going to try it on my DD hair this weekend, she is a 4A/4B and she is currently in 2 strand twist so I will definitely blow dry her hair before I use it.

Here is the results of my first maxiglide experience.

Attachments

• 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39
I was checking out Maxiglide on Amazon.com. Which model is everyone using? I'm transitioning with 4b hair.

That is the Package I bought from HSN! And it is out for Delivery Today, so it should be here sometime today! The other Maxiglide has a wider plate.

I found a Maxiglide MP at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $79.99 but I'm not sure if I want this or the Maxiglide XP that I saw on Amazon.com (I'm not really sure if there is a difference :ohwell:). I'll still be in my Senegalese Twists for atleast another 5-6 weeks so hopefully I will have made up my mind by then.:spinning:

I found a Maxiglide MP at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $79.99 but I'm not sure if I want this or the Maxiglide XP that I saw on Amazon.com (I'm not really sure if there is a difference :ohwell:). I'll still be in my Senegalese Twists for atleast another 5-6 weeks so hopefully I will have made up my mind by then.:spinning:

I found a Maxiglide MP at Bed, Bath and Beyond too, around Xmas time. I bought it, because I was curious, and wanted to know if I could handle a big hunk of iron in my hand. The MP is smaller than the XP, but does it work nicely!! I fired that baby up on the number 2 setting, decided not to use the removable teeth plate, and it got my hair straight with 2 passes, and no smoke! I only used it once, lovingly put it away for now, but will fire it up again in 3-4 months! My goal is to flat iron a few times a year. I think I'll be able to do that with this new Maxigide MP, without frying my hair. The size of the iron you choose is a personal thing; they both work the same. It depends on how much hair you have, and how well you can handle an oversized iron. I airdryed before flat ironing.

Back