Maxiglide Users, can you help me? Pweety pwease?

twinkletoes17

Enter :)

So, I just bought a Maxiglide from a fellow cousin of Niko's. I've never used a flat iron like it before. It looks different. It has different features. I've used only four kinds of flat irons on my hair: Revlon (2"), Conair (1"), CHI (1"), and FHI (1").

I'm not scared :lachen::lachen::lachen: :blush: I am a little intimidated, however. I've already noticed that the Maxiglide is much heavier and is no ordinary flat iron. It has super powers. I love my natural new growth. I don't want to use too much heat and end up with heat-damaged new growth :( Not to talk of my fragile relaxed length. I'm a relaxed head who has been transitioning for 6.5 months. I'm sure I should not be using the comb/teeth attachment. I wouldn't want them to rip my fragile relaxed hair, particularly at the demarcation line. My ng is 4a I believe. It's course and has a curl pattern, hence not a 3c.

My questions are: What advice could you give? Should I use steam (does it make your hair frizzy/revert)? How hot does the iron get? Which settings do you use? Are there any DONT'S I should be aware about?

I used my FHI at 360F I believe. With heat protectant and some deep conditioning afterwards, my hair has always been fine afterwards. Just an FYI.

I looked for some other threads but didn't find everything I was looking for. Do feel free to post links though, maybe I missed them :)

TIA!

I must say..when i was natural and i tested a lil peice with my maxi some yrs ago..it never reverted back...so I would be verrry careful..but since i am no longer natural, maye someone else will be ale to chime in with more knowledge as too how hi your should put your heat settings..
also, I have never used the teeth..only the flat plates..just a prefrence..
HTH

try it on YOUR hair and see what setting is best for you to get ur desired straightness in one slow pass. for me it's 6/7. I don't use steam but you may like it. It's not necessary. The teeth are incredible.

I used the steam with the teeth on about a 6 heat setting. I started at 5 and then bumped it up. The trick with the teeth is that you can do wide sections, but they should not be thick/deep. Before I flat iron a section I use the wide end of the comb and then the fine side. That way the teeth will glide through easily. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your Maxiglide!

I use the 1st setting...I don't go over 5. I use steam sometimes in the back...mainly just to test it out. I use it every 3months or so. I keep my hair in wet twists most of the time.

I went all the way up to 7. The steam straightens your hair out even more. think of it as a iron and ironing clothes

I am 4a/b natural
I use the Maxiglide with the teeth plate. I section my hair in about 8 sections and detangle really well. I usually do a blowout before I flat iron

The setting that works for me is 7 with two passes.
I love the steam feature. Follow the directions and don't steam near the scalp.

I kind of wiggly it at the root for a about a three second count then slowly slide it down to the ends.

I do a quick pass on the the ends with steam first, this helps to keep the teeth from getting stuck, when you slide down from the root to the ends

I have a few straighening pics in my LHCF ablum feel free to check it out

Good luck
once you get the hang of you will love it!

I don't have the manual which is why I didn't know where to start exactly.

How do you switch the plates? I can't even do that! :wallbash:

I don't have the manual which is why I didn't know where to start exactly.

How do you switch the plates? I can't even do that! :wallbash:

Try the maxi-glide website. But on the plates w/ the pins are 2 little buttons on each side, just pust in and slide plate out, then slide new one on. I am about 7 months post, and the maxi-glide was great. I steamed the ends first then went down the lenth on level 6. Go slow and do not close the iron tight. you are letting your hair glide between the plates. I did lose some strands, nothing serious, but I always have strands when I flat iron.

Back