MAXIGLIDE: Burnt oder, high price is it worth it?

Is the Maxiglide worth the high price?

• Yes, I love it!

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • No, there is better.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 25 34.7%

• Total voters

CurlyMoo

I am planning on buying the Maxiglide someday soon. But I hear that it leaves the hair with a strong burnt oder. Ladies do you experience this? What do you attribute this to? Iron temperature to high? Hair already wet before you flat ironed. Is it the combination of the steam and heat penetrating the hair? Burning hair? Do you recommend that I get it? It's a lot of money to spend but I like the idea that it could be moisturizing when it's straightening my hair. Is it worth it?

It doesn't leave any scent that other irons don't (for me). Just make sure to keep the plates clean!

For what it is, I don't think it's too expensive. I think I got mine for like $80...

It's a very good iron imo. The steam helps especially with coarse, hard to straighten hair.

My hair never smells burnt. If that happens you may have the iron too high, the plates or your (not you personally) hair are dirty, or it could be the products your using. I've had my maxiglide for 2 years now and I love it. I want to get the newer version that came out a few months ago.

Hi, this is my first post. I had my Maxiglide for almost 4 years and I loved it. It broke in half about 3 months ago and I'm seriously considering re-purchasing. I have the miniglide as well and it is really good for taming new growth, but it does not have steam.

I have never experienced a burnt odor with mine. I do think the steam and the teeth help with straightening, although I should've just saved my money because I have no skills or patience for flat-ironing. :blush:

I love my maxiglide. I have no reason or desire to ever try another flat iron. Maxiglide forever for me! If you keep the plates clean there shouldn't be a burnt smell.

i never have a burnt odor. i hate that. my plates/teeth are always clean and i dont hav any products on my hair whn flat ironing

i never have a burnt odor. i hate that. my plates/teeth are always clean and i dont hav any products on my hair whn flat ironing

You don't use Anything? Not even a heat protectant? I thought about flat ironing without any product on my hair but I thought it would be damaging. But I guess it isn't because your hair looks pretty healthy to me.

I don't have any problems with my maxiglide making my hair smell. I don't use any products when I flat iron and I keep it clean.

I am planning on buying the Maxiglide someday soon. But I hear that it leaves the hair with a strong burnt oder. Ladies do you experience this? What do you attribute this to? Iron temperature to high? Hair already wet before you flat ironed. Is it the combination of the steam and heat penetrating the hair? Burning hair? Do you recommend that I get it? It's a lot of money to spend but I like the idea that it could be moisturizing when it's straightening my hair. Is it worth it?

I had a Maxiglide and although it really worked for me a few years ago, there are so many better ceramic flatirons out now. I have a Chi and it works so much better. I feel like the little bristles (brushes?) inside the Maxiglide tug my hair and yank it.

I had a bad experience, but maybe it was because I used the wrong products with it. Also, I had it on a very high setting. I think I will be more careful next time and I will not use any oil on my hair when I use it.

I've had my maxiglide for about 3 years, and I dont get the burnt smell. I'd recommend the maxiglide, I got it from Bed, Bath and Beyong using one of their coupons.

You don't use Anything? Not even a heat protectant? I thought about flat ironing without any product on my hair but I thought it would be damaging. But I guess it isn't because your hair looks pretty healthy to me.

.sometimes i llightly rub some serum thru but usually nothing. results r better 4 me

IVE NEVER SMELLED THE ODOR BUT TO ME IT WASNT WORTH THE PURCHASE BECAUSE IT STOPPED HEATING UP AFTER FOUR MONTHS *SAD FACE*

I LOVE MY MAXIGLIDE!! As for the burnt smell thing. I only had that when i used too much product or didn't clean it between uses.

I haven't experienced the burnt smell. I agree that you have to keep the plates clean. When I would use curling irons on my ponytail weaves way back, I would get that smell from the burnt product residue. Also I love the steam feature.

I love my maxiglide. I have no reason or desire to ever try another flat iron. Maxiglide forever for me! If you keep the plates clean there shouldn't be a burnt smell.

Pokahontas,

What do you use to clean the plates and how do you do it?

I don't have a maxiglide but I do have a croc. I think it is similar. Thanks in Advance.

I've experienced the burnt smell with my maxi glide but not with my solia. I usually use the maxi glide right after I air dry so my hair isn't dirty... maybe it is the plates? How are you all cleaning them?

Mine had the burnt smell on first use out of the box, so it was very clean. I am not sure if it would make my hair smell like that, and just the ironing process smelled, but I did not care for it. I only did a small section of hair before getting my FHI out. I think the fact that I am used the other irons made it hard for me to love the Maxiglide.

It think it is worth the price if is works for you, though. Any decent iron is going to cost you. That particular one just does not work for me.

CurlyMoo, I would love to see what your hair looks like straightened, the thickness of your twists are off the chain. beautiful:yep: I do twists in my hair sometimes for fun and texture, but there's the thick section, and then as it gets towards the ends, I'm stranding together like 2 or 3 strands:lachen:.

I had a Maxiglide and the iron it self would smell funny when I turned it on and I never used it past the 5 setting. I loved it but couldn't stand the smell especially after returning it and the same thing happened again, it also snagged a little. I still miss the steam action, that was the best part ever. I ended up exchanging it the 2nd time for a CHI, LOVE it. I still like the Maxiglide though, because my results were always good.

I love my MG. The only time I get that burnt smell is if I flat iron with any products that contain some type of grease or oil. The iron burns/melts them. Also if you get product on the plates and do not clean them off, they will continue to burn and give you the burnt smell.

Hi, this is my first post. I had my Maxiglide for almost 4 years and I loved it. It broke in half about 3 months ago and I'm seriously considering re-purchasing. I have the miniglide as well and it is really good for taming new growth, but it does not have steam.

I was planning on buying the mini, thanks for pointing out that it doesn't have steam like the big one. I might still buy the mini, because I will be using it just for the new growth mostly, but, I probably should just spend the $$ on the regular one.

I dont care for it... well I just think some people arent meant to press their hair themselves. :nono: I never got the results I expected. I think i damages my hair with it and its does pull out and awfuk amount of hair with those prongs. And the odor, its not so much the smell but the fumes choke me up bad! I have to make sure the window is wide open. Maybe I'm not using it that well :ohwell: or its just not that great.

I LOVE my maxiglide. all my straight hair pix in my album are via maxiglide. it's the best for me, but to each his/her own

I was planning on buying the mini, thanks for pointing out that it doesn't have steam like the big one. I might still buy the mini, because I will be using it just for the new growth mostly, but, I probably should just spend the $$ on the regular one.

Just keep in mind the miniglide does not have a temparature control. It just keeps getting hotter the longer it's plugged in. I only use it fot touchups that'll take a quick second. I wouldn't do my whole head with it.

Back