Matting of bone straight relax hair

NYDee

What is that a sign of? This happened several times this month before my relaxer. The last time, some part of my hair looked like when a white person’s hair is turned into dreads. My hair was dry, brittle, shedding, and breaking as a result of Indigo use. I also understand from my other thread that all my deep conditioners are protein conditioners. So is the matting a result of protein overload or just dryness issue? After I relaxed my hair and I have used French perm stabilizer twice now after washing, and the dry, brittle feeling has gone away and my hair no longer get matted. I'm asking now even though I no longer have the issue because in the future, I want to know what to look out for. Thanks.

you have to find a ultra moisturizing deep conditioner. Overnight DC 2x a week for the first 2 weeks (off the scalp).

Sometimes it can be worsened by the type of protein you use as well. Some proteins work better for my hair than others - and some ingredients are more moisturizing to my hair than others.

Not shampooing for a while also helped. This includes chelating and definitely not clarifying, or using any astringent type products like black tea or alma powder rinses.

Using club soda as a final rinse did all the chelating my hair needed in this condition

Megatek mixed with oils - rice bran & apricot seed (1/2:1/2 ratio) on the length of my hair, after the overnight DC completely stopped the breakage.

good luck

**This also happens when the hair is not throughly straightened at the next touch up - it comes out somewhere between texlax and straight.

Last edited:
HijabiFlygirl, thank you for the tips. I will keep them in mind if this ever happens again. Hopefully it won't reoccur now that I'm trying to increase my moisture level.

Back