Matting and Half Wigs

lyndiii

Hi Ladies,
I use a human hair half wig for my protective styling (and LOVE it)!! My only problem is it mats in the back and becomes unmanageable. Is there any way to control or eliminate the matting?

Ok, I'm 3c/4a also and I would say for our hair. You need to make sure you comb it out before you put the wig on.

I use Suave Humectant conditioner as recommended by someone else on another hair board it is perfect to moisturize and detangle your hair. you may also want to put it in small cornrows. My mom did this and she was like chin length and is APL now in about 1 1/2 year.

OMG! I love your hair btw. It's so thick and beautifullllll!:D

Are you saying the wig is matting or your hair? :eek: I hope you mean the wig!!!

Unfortunately the average synthetic wig will tangle and matt at the base of your neck. Human hair or a higher grade synthetic will do better.

Since the hair is kind of crumpled back there combined with the moisture from possible perspiration at the base of the neck and the seams, etc., it is inclined to tangle up. Sometimes what helps though is if you use a wig conditioner/detangler when you wash it. Sometimes a light oil or serum can work too.

If you can comb it without killing the style, or fingercomb it, definitely do that each night.

Call the Especially Yours wig company, they may be able to give you other suggestions. www.especiallyyours.com.

HTH! HHG!

Last edited:
lyndiii said:
I was talking about the wig matting, my hair is fine, under a wig cap with my NTG and oils. :)

Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking about the wig because I use to wear half wigs and it would shrink back up if I did put the right stuff on it.:p

the weave spray I use is green and I think its africa's best or something. I spray it on the 1/2 wig and brush it with those plastic spacy brushes with the balls on the tip (sorry dont know what this is called, I just call it a weave brush). It works really well for detangling the wigs. Sometimes I dont even use the weave spray I just use a spray bottle filled with tap water then brush it out starting from the bottom and work my way up. If you do this daily (I do it at night so it will be dry by morning) you will see little to no matting of the wig. Also, dont sleep in them.

I use a wig brush all the time and that seems to tame the wig, but as the day goes by the back becomes more and more tangled and matted. My real hair does not do this, so I know it's something with the human hair half wig, I don't have this problem as much with my synthetic half wigs, but I like the hukman hair half wig because it blends in so well with my hair and I can flat iron it.

What's btw?

lyndiii said:
Hi Ladies,
I use a human hair half wig for my protective styling (and LOVE it)!! My only problem is it mats in the back and becomes unmanageable. Is there any way to control or eliminate the matting?

They all do that. You can use conditioner or something to brush it out. You just have to remember to detangle that section frequently.

lyndiii said:
I use a wig brush all the time and that seems to tame the wig, but as the day goes by the back becomes more and more tangled and matted. My real hair does not do this, so I know it's something with the human hair half wig, I don't have this problem as much with my synthetic half wigs, but I like the hukman hair half wig because it blends in so well with my hair and I can flat iron it.

What's btw?

yeah human hair is more prone to tangling than synthetic. the synthetic just gets chewed up looking ends faster. so it has pro's and cons. washing and conditioning the wig can keep it soft and less prone to tangling. Ive had a human hair one and that happened to me too, i happen to prefer the synthetic better.

btw= by the way

Well, I'll call some of the wig stores and websites and find out what they suggest. I may have to toss them when they get too tangled and matted.
Are there any brands that are better (texture, quality, less shedding)? I have used Sensationnel- HZ-8003 and Outre.

I have three Outre instant weaves, and I haven't had a problem with matting. One is human hair, the other two are synthetic. I comb them with my fingers or a wide toothed seamless comb whenever I wear them. I've even used a little S-Curl on my human hair one to combat tangles.

Back