Matted hair

spelmanlocks

Hi

As my hair get longer it seems to tangle and mat more. What can I do to prevent my hair from matting so much? I try to only comb it at wash time, once a week and use my fingers otherwise, but it seems that large clumps of my hair are matting after I put my hair in a bun. I use Keracare detangling shampoo but it still mats later in the week.

I am experiencing this too!!!! I tried to do an archive search and i couldn't find anything. But one thing I did do was overload on the leave ins- S-curl- i think i like it- anyway it works in easing out the mattiness (is that a word).

Sheenaspelman said:
Hi

As my hair get longer it seems to tangle and mat more. What can I do to prevent my hair from matting so much? I try to only comb it at wash time, once a week and use my fingers otherwise, but it seems that large clumps of my hair are matting after I put my hair in a bun. I use Keracare detangling shampoo but it still mats later in the week.

This may just be me...but it seems as it gets further in the time frame of post relaxer touch up (8 weeks or more...), the matting issue comes to the forefront.

You say you wear your hair in a bun -- do you take the bun down at all during the week to moisturize/oil the strands to provide some lubrication to hinder the chance of matting at all? The strands in close proximity to each other in that particular style without added moisture may lend to the matting. Or perhaps, consider just clipping up the hair with a bear claw or other type of hairpin, that may help.

When I had my mini-matting issue this past weekend (I'm 13 weeks post) - I slathered my White Rain on dry hair, worked it through the growth and tangled areas, then added some NTM DDC (this is my 1-2 combo for tangles/matting) - then worked it through under the stream of water in my shower. Poo'd with diluted CON/Keracare, then back to the NTM through any remaining tangles.

For final detangling..sprayed areas with Pantene Detangling and applied some Kids Organics Detangling Lotion, comb through with bone comb. Applied some NTM serum. Air dried.

At first I thought I would have to touch up next week. Now I feel I can make it 3 more weeks. Moisture in some form, seems to be the key.

Good luck with this issue, it is a frustrating one. :ohwell:

seemegrow said:
Have you tried Aussie Knot Forgotten?

Hmmmm...may have to give this a try...keep hearing about it...

INDICATIONS:

Say "ouch" no more! Our rinse-off formula untangles and unsnarls for unbelievably silky hair.Weightless ConditionerNothing is more damaging to hair than pulling at wet tangles. Our formula, with Australian Calendula, eases tangles & adds shine by smoothing the outer layer of the hair. and it's clean-rinsing for no build-up.So kiss your tangles good-bye!

INGREDIENTS:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cucumber Extract (cucumis sativus), Calendula Officinalis Extract, Simethicone, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

DIRECTIONS:

Gently work conditioner through clean, wet hair and rinse with warm water.

If you are only using your fingers until wash time, you may need to reconcider and detangle with a wide toothed comb in between. I cannot do the don't comb thing if my hair is loose at all, it will tangle like crazy.

If I am wearing it up, I normally only detangle while it is wet in the shower.

Paul Mitchell The Detangler is a good one. It can be pricey. Also Tresseme conditioners work pretty well too. If you can still find DDTA it is a pretty good detangler too, however it was discontinued, you still may be able to find it in some Big Lots stores.

HTH

Softresses

seemegrow said:
Have you tried Aussie Knot Forgotten?

I have used this for the tangles (with success) but not sure how it would work for the matting. :perplexed

rinygirl6 said:
I don't really have an answer....Just wanted to say HI SHEENASPELMAN!

Get off my hair board!:lol:;)

I see you riny! :)

I'm only three weeks post relaxer, so I don't really have much if any new growth at all. I'm going to go to the hair dresser and let her unmat it for me again, which is usually what I do when this happens. I'll probably take a break on wearing this bun, cause its starting to do more harm than help.

Thanks for the product suggestions, I will definitely look into those.

Back