MATTED ENDS

FlutterGirl

MATTED ENDS (RESOLVED !)

Hi again, I'm a newbie and this is my 3rd post and I'm quite shy...

I don't know if any of you has/had this problem.
I'm a natural 4a/4b and my hair tangles easily at the ends. I've hat some cut, but nothing changes. It splits, splits... The more it splits, the more I cut, and the more I cut, the more it splits:( I'm quite lucky to have some growth, cause I would have gone bald otherwise.

I don't really use much heat on my hair (I've already been 1 year or so heat free). Ok, I must admit, my hair lacks of moisture. I've tried a few moisturizer such as Shea Butter (did great, but not so much for my last 2-3 inches of hair), Protectiv Break Free something (did nothing for my hair, just sit there and GREASY). Now I'm using Infusium leave-in twice a day. It did a difference, but my hair breaks off easily at the ends again, especially at the back:ohwell: I've been wearing buns for the past month. I deep contidition with Motions.

I twisted before, but when I untraveled the twists, there was still chunks of hair. I tried to mosturizer everyday but, I could see the matted ends still.

I was no-poing and I don't do that anymore, shampoing is better for me. I like Damage Remedy by Aveda, though it costs a lot.

Oh and the front of my hair is breaking also, but it was this way even in my perms days. I'm trying to grow out that.

When I press my hair, which I don't so often, it's such a mess:grin: (yeah it's that funny)
It looks good for... hmm.. 10 minutes and then all the ends are like glued together and tangles and all my hair becomes a big poof ( I use CHI iron, I think it's good though). What the hell!

Ok, you may think I got weird hair or I'm doing something really wrong to this pooor hair:grin: Tell me, I can take all:D

I'm a bit desperate:(, but oh well:)

Thanks in advance

By the way, I'm a french speaker, so my English is not that good heeehee

Last edited:
Hey, Garnier Length and Strength Leave-In Anti-Split Ends Treatment is great for the ends. It's not expensive at all. I also like the Length and Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner. Ever since I started using those (I also seal the ends with Amla Lite oil) I don't have split ends. Both of those are great moisturizers, too!

Also, if you ever decide to press again, Chi Silk Infusion is GREAT. It reconstructs and strengthens the hair strands and your hair will not revert, not even the ends. You can even use Silk Infusion if you don't flat iron.

And girl, your English is much better than that of some native English speakers! So I definitely wouldn't worry about that.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I pm'd you some tips. I don't have the names of any specific products just for splits though.

Thanks soo much ladies to take the time to answer, it means a lot to me!

I'm all for tips and cheap conditionners hehe !
I'm taking notes :)

Believe me, I am all for inexpensive hair care. The best deep conditioner I have used that inexpensive is Lekair Cholesterol Plus. Wal-Mart always has it. You can deep condition with it and put some Dabur Amla oil over it and that should help. The thing that has really helped me get rid of tangles is washing my hair in braids a la the Crown and Glory method. It keeps the shed hair from matting up at the ends and such. Here's a link:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/shampooingnatural.html

HTH :)

Glad you were able to get some answers...Hope that your problem is resolved soon!!!!

And Welcome to the boards!!!!

I know that some lovely ladies have already pm'ed you and given you some wonderful advice, but I have to give you my two cents, lol.....leave that infusium alone!! That stuff is full of protein which is probably not what you need right now. You need a moisturizing leave in like NTM silk touch or something similar....

IMO, the first thing I would do is clarify my hair to remove any build-up, especially since you mentioned that some of your products just sit on your hair and are greasy.

Secondly, there are plenty of great moisturizers out there and they don't cost a fortune --- some are sitting right in your house. I've found mixing coconut oil (let the jar sit in warm water for 5 mintues) and conditioner (I used Nature's Gate Awuaphi) will help detangle and leave your hair moisturized even after washing it out. Also aloe, honey, castor oil and glycerin are great to add to deep treatments as well.

I'd also like to add that it could be the products you are using that are causing your matting/breakage. The products that you used for your relaxed hair are not going to work the same as the ones for your natural hair. And although I'm not familiar with the ones you listed, besides Infusium (which is full of protein ---which shouldn't be used daily), there are certain ingrediants that you should be on the look out for, especially pertroletum and mineral oil. These particular ingrediants will just sit on your hair and block any type of moisture.

Also, may I ask do you wrap your hair at night and how do you detangle your hair on wash days? I ask about how you detangle because you may or may not be removing all the shed hair which can lead to knots.

Last edited:
FlutterGirl said:
I don't really use much heat on my hair (I've already been 1 year or so heat free). Ok, I must admit, my hair lacks of moisture. I've tried a few moisturizer such as Shea Butter (did great, but not so much for my last 2-3 inches of hair), Protectiv Break Free something (did nothing for my hair, just sit there and GREASY). Now I'm using Infusium leave-in twice a day. It did a difference, but my hair breaks off easily at the ends again, especially at the back:ohwell:

Oh my goodness, I totally missed this in the original post. That Infusium was the absolute devil in my hair. It was like a haircut in a bottle, it broke of my ends as the slightest touch of a comb. If your hair is anything like mine, lay off the Infusium. :nono:

lovelymissyoli said:
IMO, the first thing I would do is clarify my hair to remove any build-up, especially since you mentioned that some of your products just sit on your hair and are greasy.

Secondly, there are plenty of great moisturizers out there and they don't cost a fortune --- some are sitting right in your house. I've found mixing coconut oil (let the jar sit in warm water for 5 mintues) and conditioner (I used Nature's Gate Awuaphi) will help detangle and leave your hair moisturized even after washing it out. Also aloe, honey, castor oil and glycerin are great to add to deep treatments as well.

I'd also like to add that it could be the products you are using that are causing your matting/breakage. The products that you used for your relaxed hair are not going to work the same as the ones for your natural hair. And although I'm not familiar with the ones you listed, besides Infusium (which is full of protein ---which shouldn't be used daily), there are certain ingrediants that you should be on the look out for, especially pertroletum and mineral oil. These particular ingrediants will just sit on your hair and block any type of moisture.

Also, may I ask do you wrap your hair at night and how do you detangle your hair on wash days? I ask about how you detangle because you may or may not be removing all the shed hair which can lead to knots.

Yesterday I washed my hair and it came out great :D
I pre-poo with ORS Hair Mayo, shampoo and condition with the Damage Remedy line from Aveda, I did an ACV rince and deep condition with everything I've found in the house like old conditionner, almond oil, olive oil, honey and I put some Carrot oil as a leave-in. My hair was so well moisturized. The back was still tangled but leeeesss. When my hair dried there was little tangles. I'll get a cut soon. I'm soo happy and I didn't use the Infusium:grin:

This time I used heat for deep conditionning and I saw a major difference !

I had no idea what wraping hair means up until like 2 weeks ago. I never did that, lol. I just clip my hair, put a scarf and go to bed. I think it's good.

I comb my hair in the shower with tons of conditionner with a denman-like brush. I think I removed all the shed hair. I used the Crown and Glory method this time for washing. I wasn't expecting too much from it, but I'll tell you, I lost the fifth of hair of what I lost normally:bouncy: whaaa! I like this forum :)

I'm going to look for some of the products the ladies have mentionned, cause I have a few staples right now. I'm on my way :)

Last edited:
have you tried s curl for moisture. when i was natural and im a coarse 4b, my s curl was the only thing that made my hair soft. you can geta small bottle at target for $2.00.

Hello,

This is something I didn't see suggested here yet, but I learned from this site... !Use hair cutting shears! to trim your hair.

I was natural for two years (until recently). I think using general purpose scissors was the cause of my hair splitting and matting at the crown of my head. I did wear a puff daily, but I kept my hair clean, moisturized and trimmed. The last straw for me, before going back to a relaxer, was the knots on the ends of my hair in this area.

I still have split ends from this, but with all the info I have learned from the ladies here, my hair will be just fine in a few months. Heck, I'm pleased with it already :) Good luck and welcome.

*UPDATES*

PROBLEM RESOLVED !!

I moisturize daily, bun, baggy at night, protein treatment every week plus deep conditionning :D and got a perfet trim !! The trim made a huge difference.

I pressed my hair to get it trimmed. See it in the January 2007 Folder in my fotki !! :D

Thx LHCF.

I'm pretty happy !

FlutterGirl said:
*Bump*

For people who had this problem and for people to see my progress :)

You are on your way girl. I see your progress. Keep it up. I'm glad you found something that is working for you.

Back