Mass confusion on Aphogee line of products....

blackbarbie

Hi to all. I tried doing a search to find the answer before I posted but got even more confused!!:confused:

My hair has been shedding a lot lately and I wanted to do a Protein Reconstructor and purchased Aphogee's 2-minute Reconstructor today. I have been reading all the posts on Aphogee and how it makes the hair hard and I am wondering if that applies to the 2-minute reconstructor as well and if there are any precautions I should take. Here is my plan:
(1) Shampoo with Mane-N-Tail Shampoo
(2) Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor....(should I use a little shampoo to make sure I wash out of it out instead of just rinsing it out?)
(3) Mane-n-Tail Conditioner

I know the Mane-n-Tail conditioner has a lot of protein too so I am just wondering if I should just use my regular shampoo and conditioner and start the Mane-N-Tail line next week since I am already giving my hair a dose of protein with the Aphogee.

Aphogee 2-min is not going to make your hair hard. It's a regular strengtheing reconstructor, not heavey duty like the treatment.

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in MNT... can't tell you.

Not the two minute, the Treatment for Damaged Hair (in the square bottle) BUT I LKOVE THAT STUFF!! I live by the treatment. Yes, it makes your hair hard, but you MUST follow up with the moisturizing conditioner (white bottle, blue writing) My hair is never hard after using it, but you really have to make sure you follow the directions step by step. Leaves mine soft very mamageable. But I bleach my hair, so it prbably needs the treatment luv more than yours :D . But the two minute is okay....I reccomen you do the whole treatment though.....I bleached my hair 4 times in one day once, and followed up with the treatment, and it didn't bail out, or feel dry.
HOWEVER>>>>>>have you tried a clear Sebastian's Cellophane???????? Excellent conditioner!!!!! Great shine!!!!!

Don't think you'll need to follow w/ a conditioner, but it won't hurt. Might make your hair a little oily...., but it DEFINITELY won't hurt you.

Porsche19 said:
Aphogee 2-min is not going to make your hair hard. It's a regular strengtheing reconstructor, not heavey duty like the treatment.

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in MNT... can't tell you.

Thanks for the response. I was getting really scared when I was reading through all the posts and just started visualizing a hair disaster and didn't want to have to take it back to Sally's......:nono:

brownsugar9999 said:
Not the two minute, the Treatment for Damaged Hair (in the square bottle) BUT I LKOVE THAT STUFF!! I live by the treatment. Yes, it makes your hair hard, but you MUST follow up with the moisturizing conditioner (white bottle, blue writing) My hair is never hard after using it, but you really have to make sure you follow the directions step by step. Leaves mine soft very mamageable. But I bleach my hair, so it prbably needs the treatment luv more than yours :D . But the two minute is okay....I reccomen you do the whole treatment though.....I bleached my hair 4 times in one day once, and followed up with the treatment, and it didn't bail out, or feel dry.
HOWEVER>>>>>>have you tried a clear Sebastian's Cellophane???????? Excellent conditioner!!!!! Great shine!!!!!

Don't think you'll need to follow w/ a conditioner, but it won't hurt. Might make your hair a little oily...., but it DEFINITELY won't hurt you.

BS, no I don't have the one in the square bottle, I have the 2 minute reconstructor. (the instructions say to shampoo with Aphogee shampoo, apply the reconstructor, put a plastic cap on and leave on for 2 minutes;for extreme cases, leave on 5 minutes.) It says for severe cases to try the Aphogee Treatment Service; I guess that's the serious stuff in the square bottle that I was afraid of from reading the posts. :whip:

Although I don't have color all over, I do have highlights so I have to make sure I do everything I can to keep moisturized and to keep from losing strands, but I don't know what could be the cause of the shedding.....

So do most people use the "serious stuff" for severe damage and or for what other reasons? Also how often?.........

blackbarbie said:
BS, no I don't have the one in the square bottle, I have the 2 minute reconstructor. (the instructions say to shampoo with Aphogee shampoo, apply the reconstructor, put a plastic cap on and leave on for 2 minutes;for extreme cases, leave on 5 minutes.) It says for severe cases to try the Aphogee Treatment Service; I guess that's the serious stuff in the square bottle that I was afraid of from reading the posts. :whip:

Although I don't have color all over, I do have highlights so I have to make sure I do everything I can to keep moisturized and to keep from losing strands, but I don't know what could be the cause of the shedding.....

So do most people use the "serious stuff" for severe damage and or for what other reasons? Also how often?.........

I use every 6-8 weeks, but just b/c I BLEACH the cr@p out of my hair!!! I've never had a problem with it, and I've been using it for about 6-7 yeas now. I just like to give it a REAL drink instead of teasing it with weekly shots. But now I'm CW everyday, and learning new things....so I'll reserve to treatment for bleach days

brownsugar9999 said:
I use every 6-8 weeks, but just b/c I BLEACH the cr@p out of my hair!!! I've never had a problem with it, and I've been using it for about 6-7 yeas now. I just like to give it a REAL drink instead of teasing it with weekly shots. But now I'm CW everyday, and learning new things....so I'll reserve to treatment for bleach days

BS, you have great length for having bleached hair. I see in your siggy that you don't have a routine; you must have something to have that kind of length! Good luck on the CS; I have just started as well.

I hope the treatment stops my shedding. If I see results, I will be figuring out a regular rotation to work it in my routine.

blackbarbie said:

Hey bb,
I've used it twice. The first time I used it was b/c I had some overprocessed hair that needed to be repaired. The treatment did a wonderful job of stopping the breaking I was dealing with at the time. I called myself making it a part of my regimen (not realizing that this wasn't necessary for my hair). I used it again 8 weeks later, and my hair did NOT like it at all. I decided that I didn't really need protein that heavy on a regular basis. I've since decided to lite protein i.e. Nexxus Keraphix, Giovanni Nutrafix, weekly b/c my hair likes to be maintained rather than beat into submission periodically. :lol:
I plan to use a heavier protein (not ApHOGEE...too messy & inconsistent, plus it smells like formaldehyde and old people) 2 weeks after my relaxers, but apart from that, I don't intend to do any heavy stuff b/c it just isn't necessary.
I say experiment with doing consistent lite protein before commiting to regular ApHOGEE treatments. If you do the 2 min reconstructor every other week or every week, you may find that it keeps breakage away & keeps your hair soft.
HTH

Divine Inspiration said:
Hey bb,
I've used it twice. The first time I used it was b/c I had some overprocessed hair that needed to be repaired. The treatment did a wonderful job of stopping the breaking I was dealing with at the time. I called myself making it a part of my regimen (not realizing that this wasn't necessary for my hair). I used it again 8 weeks later, and my hair did NOT like it at all. I decided that I didn't really need protein that heavy on a regular basis. I've since decided to lite protein i.e. Nexxus Keraphix, Giovanni Nutrafix, weekly b/c my hair likes to be maintained rather than beat into submission periodically. :lol:
I plan to use a heavier protein (not ApHOGEE...too messy & inconsistent, plus it smells like formaldehyde and old people) 2 weeks after my relaxers, but apart from that, I don't intend to do any heavy stuff b/c it just isn't necessary.
I say experiment with doing consistent lite protein before commiting to regular ApHOGEE treatments. If you do the 2 min reconstructor every other week or every week, you may find that it keeps breakage away & keeps your hair soft.
HTH

:lachen: :lachen: ....beating your hair into submission???:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

DI, that's what I was trying to determine - whether the 2 minute Reconstructor was considered mild or heavy. It was something I wanted to make a part of my regular routine (especially since I have a whole bottle), but didn't want to be overdoing anything if I didn't need it. But if you think using it every other week would be o.k. I may try that unless I see any adverse affects.

Hold up....I read a post the other day from someone saying not using it RIGHT after getting a relaxer; maybe waiting a couple of weeks or something. Does that apply to the 2 minute reconstructor too or just the serious stuff?

blackbarbie said:
:lachen: :lachen: ....beating your hair into submission???:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

DI, that's what I was trying to determine - whether the 2 minute Reconstructor was considered mild or heavy. It was something I wanted to make a part of my regular routine (especially since I have a whole bottle), but didn't want to be overdoing anything if I didn't need it. But if you think using it every other week would be o.k. I may try that unless I see any adverse affects.

Hold up....I read a post the other day from someone saying not using it RIGHT after getting a relaxer; maybe waiting a couple of weeks or something. Does that apply to the 2 minute reconstructor too or just the serious stuff?
I've recently decided to do Keraphix every week until my relaxer b/c I've got soooo much new growth and so far I haven't had breakage at the line of demarcation and I definitely don't wanna start now with 6 weeks to go!

To be on the safe side, I hold off on any protein (after the relaxer) for a couple weeks besdies whatever is in a good moisturizing con which should be very little. I concentrate on doing lots of pampering & moisturizing the first week or two, then I shift into protein mode for 2 or 3 consectutive washes. This system has kept the breakage away so I'm stickin with it for now. :D

Back