Marriage is Safe Guard from Alzheimer's Disease (A New Study)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Marriage Is Good For the Brain

by Dr. Ranit Mishori, PARADE

We’ve known for some time that married people live longer. Now a new study suggests that matrimony may also help keep the mind sharp—warding off age-related issues like memory loss or dementia.

Researchers studied the changes among a group of 1400 people from Finland—starting from when they were all aged 50 or so, then again 20 years later—and reported the results in the British Medical Journal.

They found that the individuals with the greatest risk for Alzheimer’s disease were those who were widowed or divorced at midlife and remained so. Being single at midlife was also a risk factor.

3 memory-boosting tips

This “marriage effect” appears not to be influenced by how much education the individuals had attained, how much physical exercise they got, or whether they otherwise had active social lives—a ll factors that other studies have found to be important in determining the risk of dementia.

The authors suggest that having a partner might provide additional mental and social challenges that somehow stimulate the brain and delay the onset of dementia.

4 steps to help prevent Alzheimer's

Of course, getting Alzheimer’s is not dependent simply on lifestyle. This devastating illness involves a complex interaction of factors that include genetics and environment. What is clear, however, is that people who maintain a healthy and active lifestyle—physically, socially, mentally, and perhaps maritally—appear to have a lower risk of developing the disease.

Find More on MSN Health & Fitness:

<LI class=textList>7 Tips to Improve Your Memory <LI class=textList>How to Slow the Progress of Alzheimer's Disease <LI class=textList>Bing: Memory Test

Courtesy of PARADE
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]URL: http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100243399>1=31036[/FONT]

-------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmm :scratchch:

Okay..... :yep:

Hmmm..thanks for posting this..Marriage has so many benefits...it's really rewarding!

I agree w/ the suggestions in this study, esp this part:

This “marriage effect” appears not to be influenced by how much education the individuals had attained, how much physical exercise they got, or whether they otherwise had active social lives—a ll factors that other studies have found to be important in determining the risk of dementia.

The authors suggest that having a partner might provide additional mental and social challenges that somehow stimulate the brain and delay the onset of dementia.

Especially if one person lacks in one area and the other doesn't... makes for a great learning curve :laugh:

Marriage Is Good For the Brain

by Dr. Ranit Mishori, PARADE

We’ve known for some time that married people live longer. Now a new study suggests that matrimony may also help keep the mind sharp—warding off age-related issues like memory loss or dementia.

Researchers studied the changes among a group of 1400 people from Finland—starting from when they were all aged 50 or so, then again 20 years later—and reported the results in the British Medical Journal.

They found that the individuals with the greatest risk for Alzheimer’s disease were those who were widowed or divorced at midlife and remained so. Being single at midlife was also a risk factor.

3 memory-boosting tips

4 steps to help prevent Alzheimer's

Of course, getting Alzheimer’s is not dependent simply on lifestyle. This devastating illness involves a complex interaction of factors that include genetics and environment. What is clear, however, is that people who maintain a healthy and active lifestyle—physically, socially, mentally, and perhaps maritally—appear to have a lower risk of developing the disease.

Find More on MSN Health & Fitness:

<LI class=textList>7 Tips to Improve Your Memory <LI class=textList>How to Slow the Progress of Alzheimer's Disease <LI class=textList>Bing: Memory Test

Courtesy of PARADE

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]URL: http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100243399>1=31036[/FONT]

-------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmm :scratchch:

Okay..... :yep:

Interesting, to say the least. Thanks for posting this. As Laela said, marriage is wonderful:yep:

This part has me thinking:

Do you think lonliness causes this? I wonder.....

Interesting, to say the least. Thanks for posting this. As Laela said, marriage is wonderful:yep:

Do you think lonliness causes this? I wonder.....[b/]

I think loneliness can definitely be a factor...

I'm leaning also toward the idea that if you have a partner in the home, you are going to be more likely to communicate with that person daily, which exercises your brain. You might discuss issues (even mundane ones like who's doing the dishes that day) and have to work out minor challenges... things that keep the brain active.

While one can have friends, other family members, church friends, etc., you aren't with them 24/7 and don't receive that same level of mental stimulation that you would by having a constant presence in your life.

Oh boy, just when I thought I was getting comfortable single...I don't wanna lose my mind at all! Being old and alone is not good. This is a great study, encouraging me again to get on that prayer wagon.

Can I say something? I prayed and prayed 2 years ago for the answer and path. Now, I'm comfie alone...but back then, even another response from G-d just months ago ...and I asked for very specific signs...which were met. I felt something that a certain person was going to be my spouse and it didn't come from me...and I asked G-d 4 times with the various signs I asked for to confirm it. Crazy signs, that came true. Okay, it involved deer lol.

Now, when I think of it, it makes me sick for some reason, like I would definitely love to be married to a good man, but then I'm wary...guess it's the fear of failure. It's like the one you want, you don't get...but the one who's the one for you...you don't feel nuthing! I've left it in G-d's hands for His timing, if at all. No longer desperate-feeling...I'm taking this one day at a time because I don't see how this would be possible...I just have to trust that if 'yes' or 'no,' I'm in good hands.

Last edited:
You've got some kidlets to keep your mind active! :lol:

Yeah, I know...started to write that. But those with kids know they don't quite equate with "intellectual conversation":lachen: It's more like "no, my reasoning is NOOOOO." LOL. And when they leave the nest? Sigh. Plus, I don't actually like being divorced...it was definitely from necessity. I'd love to hear, "I love you honey."

Do you think lonliness causes this? I wonder.....
I think it does. :yep: You already know about my mom's illness. It wasn't until after my 'Dad' (step-dad) passed away 5 years ago, that my mom began to exhibit the symptoms of Dementia.

The strangest thing is that she always had these symptoms arise more noticeably when it near his birthday (July 12) and her birthday which is also their Wedding Anniversary (Nov 12). As time progressed, it just became more advanced. I think the illness comes from wanting to 'blank out the memory of what causes them great pain and grieving. Perhaps the Dementia is a way of 'escape' for them. It's just a theory, but it seems to make sense.

This is why I spend more time in Maryland than at home in Florida, because I don't want her to be alone. We've tried transitioning her to Florida, but she will not leave her house; it's what's familiar to her. She and my "Dad" spent their life there and it's what she has to hold on to, that they shared.

Bless her heart. God bless all of the hurting hearts of our elderly who really have a lot to bear after losing someone they love. Bless their darling hearts to be whole again. :love2:

Last edited:

I'm leaning also toward the idea that if you have a partner in the home, you are going to be more likely to communicate with that person daily, which exercises your brain. You might discuss issues (even mundane ones like who's doing the dishes that day) and have to work out minor challenges... things that keep the brain active.

While one can have friends, other family members, church friends, etc., you aren't with them 24/7 and don't receive that same level of mental stimulation that you would by having a constant presence in your life.

I agree with this totally, Bunny 77.

Hmmm..thanks for posting this..Marriage has so many benefits...it's really rewarding!

I agree w/ the suggestions in this study, esp this part:

Especially if one person lacks in one area and the other doesn't... makes for a great learning curve :laugh:

But you know what, it's true about keeping active. I always feel better after my daily walk; after my Dance classes, or just sitting outside in the warm sun or a nice breeze.

Older folks, have it hard when they become disabled and unable to be as mobile. If you don't use it, you WILL lose it. :yep: :lol:

(Hush Laela .... :rolleyes: :lol: )

Oh boy, just when I thought I was getting comfortable single...I don't wanna lose my mind at all! Being old and alone is not good. This is a great study, encouraging me again to get on that prayer wagon.

Can I say something? I prayed and prayed 2 years ago for the answer and path. Now, I'm comfie alone...but back then, even another response from G-d just months ago ...and I asked for very specific signs...which were met. I felt something that a certain person was going to be my spouse and it didn't come from me...and I asked G-d 4 times with the various signs I asked for to confirm it. Crazy signs, that came true. Okay, it involved deer lol.

Now, when I think of it, it makes me sick for some reason, like I would definitely love to be married to a good man, but then I'm wary...guess it's the fear of failure. It's like the one you want, you don't get...but the one who's the one for you...you don't feel nuthing! I've left it in G-d's hands for His timing, if at all. No longer desperate-feeling...I'm taking this one day at a time because I don't see how this would be possible...I just have to trust that if 'yes' or 'no,' I'm in good hands.

They say that crossword puzzles are a wonderful way to keep the brain active and healthy. :yep:

They say that crossword puzzles are a wonderful way to keep the brain active and healthy. :yep:

Eh, I'm a daughter of the King. I think I deserve a g-dly prince. I gave it my all but I won't sweat it. I'd prefer a g-dly husband anyday to a paper crossword puzzle...one day at a time, tho. Everything, anything and all things in His providential care...direction.:eyebrows2

I think it does. :yep: You already know about my mom's illness. It wasn't until after my 'Dad' (step-dad) passed away 5 years ago, that my mom began to exhibit the symptoms of Dementia.

The strangest thing is that she always had these symptoms arise more noticeably when it near his birthday (July 12) and her birthday which is also their Wedding Anniversary (Nov 12). As time progressed, it just became more advanced. I think the illness comes from wanting to 'blank out the memory of what causes them great pain and grieving. Perhaps the Dementia is a way of 'escape' for them. It's just a theory, but it seems to make sense.

This is why I spend more time in Maryland than at home in Florida, because I don't want her to be alone. We've tried transitioning her to Florida, but she will not leave her house; it's what's familiar to her. She and my "Dad" spent their life there and it's what she has to hold on to, that they shared.

Bless her heart. God bless all of the hurting hearts of our elderly who really have a lot to bear after losing someone they love. Bless their darling hearts to be whole again. :love2:

My own mother of blessed memory began "losing" it after her last siblings died. She was the youngest and I say the most cherished. They all just slipped away within like 5 years, leaving her. My parents had a wonderful g-dly marriage. But I'll say that she missed her siblings, esp. her brother Alfred. When we took her to the emergency room after a strange episode of memory lapse, she was lying there, conversing with Alfred :yep:. I believe he was there and she just wanted to go home....not leave my father, but they were so tight-knit as a family with both parents having died. The older ones raised the younger ones.

After my sweet angel passed away, my daddy lasted 11 months. He kept his mind and his strength, relatively for someone with cancer...but he was beginning to show signs as well. I guess Alzheimer's is a way to go home. But then again, I think of genetics and environmental influences such as aluminium in our products. Scary.

Not sure I agree with this since all the folks I know who had or have this disease are married and have been for years to their same partner. They were the first ones to pass away and left the mate.

My own mother of blessed memory began "losing" it after her last siblings died. She was the youngest and I say the most cherished. They all just slipped away within like 5 years, leaving her. My parents had a wonderful g-dly marriage. But I'll say that she missed her siblings, esp. her brother Alfred. When we took her to the emergency room after a strange episode of memory lapse, she was lying there, conversing with Alfred :yep:. I believe he was there and she just wanted to go home....not leave my father, but they were so tight-knit as a family with both parents having died. The older ones raised the younger ones.

After my sweet angel passed away, my daddy lasted 11 months. He kept his mind and his strength, relatively for someone with cancer...but he was beginning to show signs as well. I guess Alzheimer's is a way to go home. But then again, I think of genetics and environmental influences such as aluminium in our products. Scary.
I'm sorry about your 'Mom' passing away, GV. :giveheart:

When my "Nana" (Grandmom) passed away it wasn't long before my Granddad became ill with prostate cancer and he passed away about a year and a half after my 'Nana' went 'home' with the Lord.

I've noticed in a lot of relationships, that when a man loses his wife, he either remarries, works alot, or he dies. A man simply cannot live alone. Hence, God's word: It is not good for man to be alone.

Marriage is serious business. The two do indeed become 'One'. When God put Adam asleep, He took more than just his rib to create Eve. He created Eve 'from' Adam which was a part of him that made him whole.

Hence the scripture when Adam said to Eve,

".... This ---- (You) are now bone of my bones, flesh of my flesh."

(Genesis 2)

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

"One Flesh" ... When one part of the body dies, the rest will follow. :yep:

Marriage --- It's just that serious !

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with this since all the folks I know who had or have this disease are married and have been for years to their same partner. They were the first ones to pass away and left the mate.
mscocoface, I agree with you as I thought about this as well... :yep:

Studies do what 'studies do. " They research, explore, inquire, test and relate the resulsts what they've studied.

There are many factors which come into play with this disease. In this case what you've shared and what they've shared , is caterorized as "All of the Above is True. :up:

Thanks Darlin' for reminding me of this. :giveheart:

Thanks, Bunny...I agree.:yep:

Your mom is so blessed to have you as her daughter :kiss:

I agree with this totally, Bunny 77.

But you know what, it's true about keeping active. I always feel better after my daily walk; after my Dance classes, or just sitting outside in the warm sun or a nice breeze.

Older folks, have it hard when they become disabled and unable to be as mobile. If you don't use it, you WILL lose it. :yep: :lol:

(Hush Laela .... :rolleyes: :lol: )

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

It's all kind of making sense to me now.:yep:

Dh and I teach marriage workshops and the one thing we find the most with married couples, is that they don't communicate with each other. That's the hardest thing to do. And, sometimes when there isn't any communication, this is where loneliness kicks in. There are many married couples who have been together for years and don't talk to each other at all...they just live.

This is good because I'm going to do a study on this now....we got the world view and now we need some Godly views about it.

Good topic, Shimmie...as usual!:yep:

This is fascinating....

So, now I'm wondering if those folks were happily married? Were they? It's been known that people can be married for years or have mates and still feel lonely, unhappy or whatever, or they just choose to stay with someone for whatever reason (the kids, convenience, to keep their money, etc) I'd think their overall mental health, considering factors like these, would contribute to the breakdown of mental capacity... I'm just guessing *shrug*

:( Bless your mom, Shimmie. I'll keep her in my prayers!!

Laela
:rosebud:

This is fascinating....

So, now I'm wondering if those folks were happily married? Were they? It's been known that people can be married for years or have mates and still feel lonely, unhappy or whatever, or they just choose to stay with someone for whatever reason (the kids, convenience, to keep their money, etc) I'd think their overall mental health, considering factors like these, would contribute to the breakdown of mental capacity... I'm just guessing *shrug*
It is fascinating....:yep:

That's what I was saying in my post above^^^. I have to agree with you on this girl:yep:

Oh, for the Lord shall protect His saints...hallelujah, from the enemy and his plans!

Last edited:
21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

"One Flesh" ... When one part of the body dies, the rest will follow. :yep:

Marriage --- It's just that serious !

Side thought, the first surgery!:lachen: Anyhoo, men don't seem to last, that's for sure. But then again, widows do last much longer. But goodness, to be old and alone:nono:. Well, if they had a good marriage...maybe they go sooner from grief...and if not...they are enjoying their newfound freedom:drunk: Happy or not, I heard that people who eat with others live longer. Breaking bread together.

Last edited:
U are a beautiful and kind woman! Any man would be lucky to have you as his rib... God will do it!

Eh, I'm a daughter of the King. I think I deserve a g-dly prince. I gave it my all but I won't sweat it. I'd prefer a g-dly husband anyday to a paper crossword puzzle...one day at a time, tho. Everything, anything and all things in His providential care...direction.:eyebrows2

Lack of communication:

I know of this couple well into their late 70's and they married very young. Can you believe the husband said to her, "I didn't realize that until now you are a human being." What?!!! I shuddered. All this time, she was just his maid, his servant, his whatever...while he merrily lived his convenient life at her expense. :nono: That's where disease sets in as well. She seemed so calm...but inside..who knows if she struggles not to hate him? Even through his apology? Finally, when they are well into their sunset, he realizes he must love her as Christ loves the church. Sigh.

Lack of communication:

I know of this couple well into their late 70's and they married very young. Can you believe the husband said to her, "I didn't realize that until now you are a human being." What?!!! I shuddered. All this time, she was just his maid, his servant, his whatever...while he merrily lived his convenient life at her expense. :nono: That's where disease sets in as well. She seemed so calm...but inside..who knows if she struggles not to hate him? Even through his apology? Finally, when they are well into their sunset, he realizes he must love her as Christ loves the church. Sigh.

Wow....ouch:nono:! I guess better late than never huh?

Wow....ouch:nono:! I guess better late than never huh?

You know, at 79, I'd just say to hell with it. But this lack of communication spoken about in marriage is the culprit. People don't want to listen. They don't make time to and they simply sometimes don't care from egoism. It's truly tragic to pass your entire life in an unloving marriage. And because women are so little valued, nobody seems to care much. Their advice? Rudeness "you made that bed, now lie in it" or "be silent to keep the peace." But if a man has 1 moment of stress and unfulfillment, he's high-fived for leaving wife and kids or having a mistress or etc. else ridiculousness. Even if he just divorces due to his own unhappiness, it's "okay" because he needs his peace. :nono:

Last edited:
Back