Managing moisture in desert heat - need help

Pandora1975

Next month I am going to visit my sister in New Mexico. I am a Chicago girl and I am just learning to deal with my natural hair in the ever changing climate here. I can't even begin to deal with desert air. I need a good moisturizer I'm guessing without humectants. Should I treat it like Chicago winters? I can't spend a lot- plane tickets were high enough. Should I go creamy or spritz? Can I make it myself, and if so- will airport security flag me as dangerous for carrying it (lol) ?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm not from the desert, but when I went to Nevada, I loaded my hair in Organix conditioner everyday, and wet my hair daily. It would still feel a bit parched by the end of the day, but it helped a bit. I don't know if there are humectants or not in them :perplexed

I would use a spritz whenever the hair starts to feel really dry. since this is the desert you're talking about this may be very often so maybe wet bunning with a conditioner and oil.

Thank you. I don't have enough hair for wet bunning (at least not loosely enough to not get headaches), but I guess for the days we won't be at her house, a spritz would be easier to apply. I'm still holding out for ideas, but I will check out the Organix ingredients next time I'm at the store.

I have not lived in that type of climate yet ( I've only been in hot humid areas) but I would get the thickest, heaviest moisturizer I could find and then seal it. Like Shea butter with avocado or coconut oil. I'm not sure though. Oh, and def. a lot of moisturizing deep conditioning.

What part of NM are you going to? Not all of NM is hot desert this time of year, it's really cool and nice.

I'm in AZ. It's not terribly hot right now, the weather is pretty pleasant. To moisturize I use very simple things - a spritz made with Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerine & rosewater, Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner (co-washes & leave in) & Coconut/Olive oil mixed together.

Simple, light, does the job.

For wash and go I layer Eco Styler Gel over the conditioner and oil then plop with a t shirt until just damp. Shake. and leave. :grin:

HTH!

Back