Man Sues Woman Over Leaving During Movie Date

brg240

• A man in Austin, Texas filed a lawsuit against a woman from Round Rock, Texas because she texted during their date at the movies. They met on Bumble. The woman claims she left because of an emergency involving her friend.

• He said she owed him the $17.31 for the ticket and $4 for pizza.

• The defendant says there was more to the case: "...I chose to end prematurely. His behavior made me extremely uncomfortable, and I felt I needed to remove myself from the situation for my own safety. He has escalated the situation far past what any mentally healthy person would. I feel sorry that I hurt his feelings badly enough that he felt he needed to commit so much time and effort into seeking revenge. I hope one day he can move past this and find peace in his life."

• After the story went viral, the guy made a Twitter account where he posted their text messages.

• Why the man took legal action: "I thought to myself, ‘No, there’s no responsibility here. It’s not her friend, it’s her. It’s not her phone, it’s her. It’s not me, it’s her... Here’s what I think: I think the implicit contracts in dating need to stop, because I think that men are being exploited by people like the defendant."

Texas man sues woman for texting in date
_96105682_cap76zdwqe3ture.jpg
Image copyrightABC
Image captionMr Vezmar, 37, said the woman's behaviour was "a threat to civilized society".
A Texas man has filed a lawsuit against a woman for the cost of a movie ticket after she texted during their cinema date.

Brandon Vezmar, 37, said the woman walked out of the screening of Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 when he complained about her persistent phone use.

Mr Vezmar filed the petition in the state capital of Austin last week seeking $17.31 (£13.30), arguing his date's behaviour was "a threat to civilised society".

She said she refused to reimburse him because "he took me out on a date".

_96108281_capture.png
Image copyrightTWITTER
"Oh my God," the unnamed woman told the Austin American-Statesman. "This is crazy."

Mr Vezmar said she began texting about 15 minutes after the movie began during their first date on 6 May.

"It was kind of a first date from hell," he told the newspaper.

He said he asked her to stop and when she refused, Mr Vezmar suggested she should step outside to text.

_96105688_10441177_1707174826224514_5528569202271529610_n.jpg
Image copyrightFACEBOOK
Image captionThe plaintiff says the texting was a "direct violation" of the cinema's policy
The woman left and did not return, he said.

Mr Vezmar said he texted her a few days later to ask for the price of the ticket but she refused.

The woman said on Tuesday she only texted two or three times with her friend who was having a fight with her boyfriend.

"I had my phone low and I wasn't bothering anybody," she said.

According to the lawsuit, the texting was a "direct violation" of the cinema's policy and she "adversely" affected his and other patrons' viewing experience.

"While damages sought are modest, the principle is important as defendant's behaviour is a threat to civilized society," the petition said.

The cinema company's chief executive, Tim League, has offered to compensate Mr Vezmar with the amount in a gift certificate if he drops the lawsuit.

He's crazy! Not only that but he's not even worth dating! He took her out for pizza (fail) and a movie (epic fail - you can't even talk to each other watching a movie) AND he didn't have a ride. So not only was he an awful date but he expected her to come out of pocket for it all because she more than likely decided he was not a suitable match for her and she didn't want to continue spending time with him. Further I imagine he started with the drama in an effort to keep some connection to her. Like if he pestered her enough she would give in. I've been on the receiving end of that. Like if she had actually agreed in the initial text messages to reimburse him he probably would have asked her out again. Certifiable. Online dating truly truly sucks.

Texas man sues woman for texting in date
_96105682_cap76zdwqe3ture.jpg
Image copyrightABC
Image captionMr Vezmar, 37, said the woman's behaviour was "a threat to civilized society".
A Texas man has filed a lawsuit against a woman for the cost of a movie ticket after she texted during their cinema date.

Brandon Vezmar, 37, said the woman walked out of the screening of Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 when he complained about her persistent phone use.

Mr Vezmar filed the petition in the state capital of Austin last week seeking $17.31 (£13.30), arguing his date's behaviour was "a threat to civilised society".

She said she refused to reimburse him because "he took me out on a date".

_96108281_capture.png
Image copyrightTWITTER
"Oh my God," the unnamed woman told the Austin American-Statesman. "This is crazy."

Mr Vezmar said she began texting about 15 minutes after the movie began during their first date on 6 May.

"It was kind of a first date from hell," he told the newspaper.

He said he asked her to stop and when she refused, Mr Vezmar suggested she should step outside to text.

_96105688_10441177_1707174826224514_5528569202271529610_n.jpg
Image copyrightFACEBOOK
Image captionThe plaintiff says the texting was a "direct violation" of the cinema's policy
The woman left and did not return, he said.

Mr Vezmar said he texted her a few days later to ask for the price of the ticket but she refused.

The woman said on Tuesday she only texted two or three times with her friend who was having a fight with her boyfriend.

"I had my phone low and I wasn't bothering anybody," she said.

According to the lawsuit, the texting was a "direct violation" of the cinema's policy and she "adversely" affected his and other patrons' viewing experience.

"While damages sought are modest, the principle is important as defendant's behaviour is a threat to civilized society," the petition said.

The cinema company's chief executive, Tim League, has offered to compensate Mr Vezmar with the amount in a gift certificate if he drops the lawsuit.

Yep! Just as I suspected.... CRAZY!!!! :dizzy:

Wait...Who $4 dollar pizza?
I immediately thought the article was talking about one of those small personal pan pizzas you can buy at the movie theater...but maybe I'm wrong... :look:

By the way, what type of theater were they going to? A 3-D movie? Because $17 bucks for a movie ticket is pretty steep.

This dude is a loser. I bet you he's the controlling and abusive type. And he has the nerve to have a website. http://www.brandonvezmar.com/
I am in Austin. I downloaded his resume, because I am nosy.

So he makes tee shirts and is in marketing like every other crappy white male in Austin.

Is she going to ask for reimbursement for her gas money? Traffic is a beast and the meter was running, you know.

Last edited:
I am in Austin. I downloaded his resume, because I am nosy.

So he makes tee shirts and is in marketing like every other crappy white male in Austin.

Is she going to ask for reimbursement for her gas money? Traffic is a beast and the meter was running, you know.

LMAO. I downloaded it too. Did you see his info for Crapple? I guess it's a diss on Apple products. I'm at work and I couldn't open it. I hate that ol girl paid him back.

Back